Not the brighest bulb in the package

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Not the brighest bulb in the package

Post by Fancy »

Don't think it works that way. There are a lot of similar situations where repercussions were severe. So if the residents were totally uncomfortable having them work there now they are not decent people?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Guess the other issue is the code of conduct (main reason why the girls were let go I would imagine). When people cross the line, they have to accept the consequences and move on.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

-fluffy- wrote:A bonehead maneuver to be sure, but hardly deserving of the attention it's getting.

Pretty disrespectful and stupid. Disrespecting the dead soldiers in that magnititude deserves attention.

It's not like you're doing something stupid against the military, policy, politics, etc... you're disrespecting those who died for their country.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've been following discussion over this incident on an American site where a number of vets have posted. The vast majority of them have a notably tolerant outlook, holding the right to freedom of speech above any need for revenge over an act of juvenile stupidity. On the other hand, those attempting to equate the act with gross disrespect for America's fallen are coming off like uneducated drama queens. Interesting contrast.

Another interesting tidbit is the public apology issued by Lindsey Stone and her cohort the day after the photo went viral. Read it here:
http://wizbangblog.com/2012/11/21/lindsey-stone-and-jamie-schuh-apologize-for-infamous-facebook-photo/
Puts any suggestions of intentional disrespect to rest.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Part of that apology was posted on the first page in a link never mind the father explaining it on camera. Anyone following the story is well aware of their apology but does it negate what they did considering who they were working for and why they were on the work related trip? Free speech doesn't come without consequences depending on what's said.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think my dad (a veteran) would have chuckled at it. I am not too bothered by it. *shrug*
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mine wouldn't have chuckled - would have said they have a lot of growing up to do.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That's likely what my father, a vet as well, would have said too. And he would have let the whole thing go at that.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Didya ever notice some people get way too indignant on other people's behalf when the other people aren't too fussed about it?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

pretty hard for dead people to kick up much of a fuss
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I dont know how much fuss the residents made - just that they were upset. They could easily have supported the girls after the fact. The point is these girls know once a photograph hits the internet it's out there and you can't get it back. There have been lots of incidents where questionable photos have gone viral and there were repercussions. I will hope someone "gets it" and refrains from behaviour that reflects negatively on their employer. These girls certainly won't be the last to find out after the fact what they did wasn't so cool after all. My take is, at 30 years old, one should know better. I'm sure it won't happen again. What people said in response or the fact that we do have freedom of speech is irrelevant to the point that the girls were representing their employer and should have acted accordingly. The fact they lost their jobs is between the girls and their employer. If that punishment is too harsh, nothing is preventing others to rally on their behalf, especially those that feel it was simply a joke that went too far.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

-fluffy- wrote:I've been following discussion over this incident on an American site where a number of vets have posted. The vast majority of them have a notably tolerant outlook, holding the right to freedom of speech above any need for revenge over an act of juvenile stupidity. On the other hand, those attempting to equate the act with gross disrespect for America's fallen are coming off like uneducated drama queens. Interesting contrast.

Another interesting tidbit is the public apology issued by Lindsey Stone and her cohort the day after the photo went viral. Read it here:
http://wizbangblog.com/2012/11/21/lindsey-stone-and-jamie-schuh-apologize-for-infamous-facebook-photo/
Puts any suggestions of intentional disrespect to rest.

Huh, not at the site I was on. There was some discussion as to whether this was a first amendment issue or not, and I rather thought this poster was well-spoken.
The First Amendment guarantees that the government will not imprison or otherwise persecute you for expressing yourself. It doesn't make you immune to criticism from other citizens if you say or do something idiotic, and it most certainly doesn't compel private employers to keep you on their payroll if you publicly behave in a manner that reflects poorly on them.

Although, they admitted they were "being *bleep*" in their apology fluffy, does that not imply that they meant it when they were doing it? I suspect any expressed remorse is of the "oh crap, we've been caught" variety. Perhaps learning that actions have consequences will help these two grow up?
I haven't failed until I quit.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's really not that big a deal. Implications aside, their apology stated clearly that no disrespect was intended, it was meant to be a "visual pun" where the actions depicted were in direct counterpoint to the sign. A joke gone wrong, nothing more. What impresses me most is the abundance of detractors openly expressing pleasure at the fact these two lost their jobs, and the many that feel punishment should exceed what has already been meted out. It's a low-brow feeding frenzy and that disgusts me more than any tasteless joke ever could.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Well it certainly was a tasteless joke, done obviously without any thought whatsoever, whilst on their employers dime. That to me says "lowbrow" far more that the outcry it has inspired. It also says "juvenille" and implies they aren't familiar with consequences; though perhaps they will be now?

On a minor note, I will disagree with you on classing this as a pun.
Definition of PUN
: the usually humorous use of a word in such a way as to suggest two or more of its meanings or the meaning of another word similar in sound

Examples of PUN

The delicatessen is sandwiched, if you'll pardon the pun, between two stores.
She's a skillful pilot whose career has—no pun intended—really taken off.

Origin of PUN
perhaps from Italian puntiglio fine point, quibble — more at punctilio
First Known Use: 1662

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pun
IMO, we can class this with sophmoric fratboys mooning, lets say, nuns. Highly inappropriate and probably only funny if you are seriously drunk.
I haven't failed until I quit.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Her "flippin the bird" does it for me....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”