Drugs and the workplace, is it a concern?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Drugs and the workplace, is it a concern?

Post by Smurf »

Highlight, copy, paste what you want to quote.
Again highlight what you have pasted in you new post.
Go to the top of the page you are working in and click on "Quote".
That should do it for you.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

thank you smurf
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Smurf wrote:Go to the top of the page you are working in and click on "Quote".
That should do it for you.

Exactly. When you do that your cursor will appear flashing between two HTML tags and anything you type in there will appear as a quote when you hit submit. It will also show up if you care to preview before posting as well.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

mitchbaywatch wrote:For sure I agree with what you say, it just sounds like people think that levels of impairment are a
big concern (people shoudn't be under the influence at all). It is a concern but nowwhere near the top.

Well it does follow to reason that the higher the level of impairment the greater the risk. There is also a scale of risk associated with different jobs as well, such that a low level of impairment can represent a high risk in higher risk operations, just a high level of impairment would not represent an significant risk to life and limb in a low risk operation. The guy making beds in the bunkhouse could be zooed and make it through the day unscathed while the heavy equipment operator can't afford a second's inattention when other workers are around. It is all relative of course, just saying that in principle if you're out there in the trenches pulling down a couple hundred K per year, what's wrong with doing the best job you can?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Smurf wrote:Which brings us to testing. What is an employer supposed to do to get the proof necessary to dicipline an employee. In the world today you can get in a lot of trouble if you do anything without proof. I would think testing for drugs, preferably impairement would be a good method. Random testing if you have someone who you believe is a problem would be a good way to do that. I would never have minded being tested if it was for the safety of everyone on site. I can't see how it could even be discriminatory because unless you test positive (fail) it is a plus for you.

Too true. I have to wonder what the motivation of the unions is in fighting the testing proposal. Solidarity and support for the working man is all fine and dandy, but is the employee who can't show up for work with his wits about him really deserving of protection? That doesn't say much for the rights of the workers around him.

(watch out fluffy, your right wing is exposed)
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

absolutely nothing wrong with giving it your best ( I pride myself on the job I do)
I'm just saying drugs at work aren't high on my list, but you your work place might be
different. Earlier I said across the board so all jobs if you polled, how high would "drugs"
be on that list? my guess not very high among all the other concerns a person has
at work.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm thinking that drug testing would be more of a consideration in areas where the risk is greater. This came about due to a proposal by Suncor where you've got a few thousand men living in camp, performing a variety of duties with varying levels of risk, some of them very high such as those who operate or maintain some seriously heavy equipment, or those working near or with explosive or toxic materials. If I was in that sort of environment I'd feel a lot better if I knew steps were being taken to minimize that risk, and that would include doing whatever to ensure that all workers were at peak efficiency.
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

"This is a huge growing problem with the increase in drug use that we are seeing"

smurf wrote this, I just dont see the stats or evidence. for sure there
is drug use at work or job sites always has been always will be. where are all
the sober workers complaining about drug use? just trying to understand this "huge" problem
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: DRUGS AND THE WORKPLACE, ARE THEY A CONCERN

Post by fvkasm2x »

Bsuds wrote:I know one person who got kicked off a job site because he had a pair of nail scissors in his belongings. They consider that drug paraphernalia.

I've never smoked weed but I have a pair of those on my key chain. Everyone who doesn't know me well just assumes they're for weed.
mitchbaywatch

Re: DRUGS AND THE WORKPLACE, ARE THEY A CONCERN

Post by mitchbaywatch »

I've never smoked weed but I have a pair of those on my key chain. Everyone who doesn't know me well just assumes they're for weed.[/quote]

Thats funny, I used to have a pockect mask on my key chain (from my responder days)
but some people ie dealerships dropping off vehicle or the grocery store would think it was a pouch for drugs!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

mitchbaywatch wrote:"This is a huge growing problem with the increase in drug use that we are seeing"

smurf wrote this, I just dont see the stats or evidence. for sure there
is drug use at work or job sites always has been always will be. where are all
the sober workers complaining about drug use? just trying to understand this "huge" problem

Perhaps that IS the problem ... there's so many of them now that it is considered the norm and nobody much is going to rock that boat - because to rock it is to lose your job maybe.

If a worker was outside that "norm" I can see where it would be considered a huge problem. If I was an employer, it would also be a huge problem.

And perhaps that is why the union is up in arms - the majority of their members are going to work impaired.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

where is the proof there is so many of them, there's that many drug users that people think it the norm, sorry I don"t buy that! I know you said perhaps.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

grammafreddy wrote:
What would you think would rate as a higher concern than working around an unsafe fellow employee?

i have worked around many workers who i know used marijuana daily on and off the job.
actually one company even the boss used it on the job regularly and supplied it to most the workers, i never felt at fear or risk as they still acted fully responsable.
should they do that no, but they did.
i was worried alot more by plain careless stupid workers.
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

perhaps unions thinks that time and effort and expenses should be put elsewhere because it is not
as "huge" of a concern as is lead to believe. who knows?
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

i have worked around many workers who i know used marijuana daily on and off the job.
actually one company even the boss used it on the job regularly and supplied it to most the workers, i never felt at fear or risk as they still acted fully responsable.
should they do that no, but they did.
i was worried alot more by plain careless stupid workers.[/quote]

exactly different people or job sites have different concerns but I think at the end of the day
drugs at the work place do not rate high among concerns if you go across the board.

Return to “Social Concerns”