MADD Canada calls for drug testing at roadside

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: MADD Canada calls for drug testing at roadside

Post by Sn0man »

theyeti wrote:well to be fair u have to be caught . then u have to somehow let the cop know u r messed up . so for a daily smoker like me it would be less obvious . but yes could be charged with a lot of things . depends what the cops feel like doing at the moment

Careful. I know someone who also smokes pot and was pulled over having not smoked any that day but still lost his license because the cop smelled it and suspected he was high. There's no dispute process for that either you just lose your license and they don't have to prove a thing.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

well what about levels of impairment i mean the drunk guy he gets .04 its one thing .10 is another.

tell u what i could do a lot of road side sobriety tests with a 2 paper gonzo joint pursed between my lips .

so i do not think the stoner driving should be punished with the same law that boozy the crash test dummy gets hit up with
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

do not think the stoner driving should be punished with the same law that boozy the crash test dummy gets hit up with
\

I do .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I'd first like to see every member of MADD be retested for their drivers licenses. I've avoided countless collisions in my life, and I guarantee you the majority of the idiots who would have hit me were middle aged and up and most likely sober. The vast majority of collisions and deaths on the road are caused by sober people who are sh/tty drivers, yet will the government even try to implement a tougher road test or a retest for those with too many points or collisions? Nooooooooooooooooo. The government doesn't seem to be concerned about the cause of the majority of collisions, maybe those politicians realize they might be retested if they implemented something, and they wouldn't want that.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

From the OP article...

Erika Chamberlain and Robert Solomon argue in their paper Drug Impaired Driving in Canada: Review and Recommendations, released this fall, that enforcement would be more practical and effective if drivers were tested using saliva tests, administered like a breathalyzer (roadside), and recommends the creation of maximum limits for commonly used drugs in Canada.

According to the MADD report, young people are more likely to smoke up and drive than drink and drive.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

yes so they say the msg is out and drunk driving is down deaths r down . so lets f the stoners !
nice
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

theyeti wrote:yes so they say the msg is out and drunk driving is down deaths r down . so lets f the stoners !
nice

There must some statistics that back-up their "cause for concern"? I highly doubt that MADD is asking for this change based upon a hunch/gut feeling. Their are many other drugs, both illegal and prescription, that can cause impaired judgement and reflexes other than your precious marijuana.
Overview
Impaired driving is a leading cause of death on the roads, and is the number one criminal cause of death in B.C. Every year in British Columbia, thousands of people operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and / or other drugs which impair their ability to drive. This is a serious concern because impaired driving significantly increases the risk of motor vehicle collisions that result in injuries and/or fatalities.

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-saf ... ectability

What Causes Impairment
Most commonly, impairment is caused by the use
of alcohol and other drugs. While alcohol is the
most prevalent drug involved in impaired driving,
other drugs are well known to cause impairment,
including over-the-counter medications,
recreational drugs and other illegal narcotics.

Impairment can also be caused by a wide range
of factors including stress, fatigue, fitness, and
other physical, mental and emotional conditions.

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/shareddo ... riving.pdf

In the case of drugs, an officer with reasonable
and probable grounds can demand a driver to
submit to an evaluation and/or provide samples
of blood, oral fluid and/or urine. Samples can
be analyzed to indicate the presence of a drug
at prescribed impairment levels. Depending on
the circumstances, administrative sanctions
and/or criminal charges may result.

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/shareddo ... riving.pdf
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I don't see this as the typical pot vs. booze argument. Fact is that people under the influence of pot are at higher risk of having a car accident than people driving clean and sober, the same as alcohol. If they're going to push this thing there has to be an accurate way of testing level of impairment similar to BAC with drinking drivers. The whole aim of the exercise is to make the roads safer for us all, not to force one person's view of morality on another.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

-fluffy- wrote:I don't see this as the typical pot vs. booze argument. Fact is that people under the influence of pot are at higher risk of having a car accident than people driving clean and sober, the same as alcohol. If they're going to push this thing there has to be an accurate way of testing level of impairment similar to BAC with drinking drivers. The whole aim of the exercise is to make the roads safer for us all, not to force one person's view of morality on another.

Exactly, that's why I've always suggested they have a roadside test for reflexes, coordination, eyesight, etc. This will take ALL impaired drivers off the road as well as the sober ones who drive as if they're impaired. Why is the government so scared to do that?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

-fluffy- wrote:I don't see this as the typical pot vs. booze argument. Fact is that people under the influence of pot are at higher risk of having a car accident than people driving clean and sober.

Do you have stats to back this up?
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

-fluffy- wrote:I don't see this as the typical pot vs. booze argument. Fact is that people under the influence of pot are at higher risk of having a car accident than people driving clean and sober.

Static wrote:Do you have stats to back this up?

Do YOU have any stats to show otherwise?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Lol...of course, try to turn it around. Im not defending it. But, I know from experience that I Was much more alert and law abiding when I was driving high. I have also been through 3 roadblocks this year after we literally just smoked a joint in the car and the cops easily smelt it and let us go through.

Edit to add: there needs to be stricter laws on seniors driving and those who have caused more than 2 accidents.
Last edited by Static on Dec 25th, 2012, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Static wrote:Lol...of course, try to turn it around. Im not defending it. But, I know from experience that I Was much more alert and law abiding when I was driving high. I have also been through 3 roadblocks this year after we literally just smoked a joint in the car and the cops easily smelt it and let us go through.

So, your answer is, "NO" ?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I never said that. But you are annoying. :sillygrin:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Static wrote:
Do you have stats to back this up?

Even if there is no link to stats, common sense would indicate that as well!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Social Concerns”