Indian Gang Rape Victim Dies - RIP

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Indian Gang Rape Victim Dies - RIP

Post by Glacier »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I don't think India is any different then Canada was years back. It will take time but they too will eventually change.

I hope they change, though India is far more progressive and proactive than many other countries west of India, including Pakistan that used to be part of India.

1 in 5 people in Canada is sexually abused in their lifetime and even today most don't report it, but I disagree that Canada was like India and especially Pakistan 50 or 100 years ago. Did people get systematically gang raped until death for being the wrong religion here in Canada?
Last edited by Glacier on Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Glacier wrote:I hope they change, though India is far more progressive and proactive than many other countries west of India, including Pakistan that used to be part of India.

1 in 5 people in Canada is sexually abused in their lifetime and even today most don't report it, but I disagree that Canada was like India and especially Pakistan 50 or 100 years ago. Did people get systematically gang raped until death for being the wrong religion here in Canada?

I would like to know exactly who is doing the gang rape.
India ... 80% Hindus and 14% Muslims.
And to say that gang rape is part of India's culture is wrong in so many level.
Sun News ... really ??? Pure garbage. Who watch that stuff ???
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Men face murder charges in gang-rape
by The Canadian Press
Dec 29, 2012 / 7:27 am

Indian police charged six men with murder on Saturday, adding to accusations that they beat and gang-raped a woman on a New Delhi bus nearly two weeks ago in a case that shocked the country.

The murder charges were laid after the woman died earlier Saturday in a Singapore hospital where she has been flown for treatment.

New Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said the six face the death penalty if convicted, in case that has triggered protests across India for greater protection for women from sexual violence, and raised questions about lax attitudes by police toward sexual crimes.

The tragedy has forced India to confront the reality that sexually assaulted women are often blamed for the crime, forcing them to keep quiet and discouraging them from reporting it to authorities for fear of exposing their families to ridicule.

Police often refuse to accept complaints from those who are courageous enough to report the rapes, and the rare prosecutions that reach courts drag on for years.

As news of the victim's death reached New Delhi, hundreds of policemen sealed off the high-security India Gate area, where the seat of India's government is located, in anticipation of more protests.

Dozens of students of Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi marched silently to the bus stop from where the rape victim and her friend had boarded the bus on Dec. 16. They carried placards reading "She is not with us but her story must awaken us."

Sonia Gandhi, the governing Congress party chief, assured the protesters in a statement that the rape victim's death "deepens our determination to battle the pervasive, the shameful social attitudes and mindset that allow men to rape and molest women and girls with such an impunity."

The protesters heckled Sheila Dikshit, the top elected leader of New Delhi state, when she came to express her sympathy with them and forced her to leave the protest venue. They blamed her for the deteriorating law and order situation in the Indian capital.

Indian attitudes toward rape are so entrenched that even politicians and opinion makers have often suggested that women should not go out at night or wear clothes that might be seen provocative.

Separately, authorities in Punjab state took action Thursday when an 18-year-old woman killed herself by drinking poison a month after she told police she was gang-raped.

State authorities suspended one police officer and fired two others on accusations they delayed investigating and taking action in the case. The three accused in the rape were arrested only on Thursday night, a month after the crime was reported.

"This is a very sensitive crime, I have taken it very seriously," said Paramjit Singh Gill, a top police officer in the city of Patiala.

The Press Trust of India reported that the woman was raped Nov. 13 and reported the attack to police Nov. 27. But police harassed the girl, asked her embarrassing questions and took no action against the accused, PTI reported, citing police sources.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85154
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:And to say that gang rape is part of India's culture is wrong in so many level.

I agree, and that's why I never said it was. Indian is very much different from countries operating under Sharia Law with only a few gang rapes happening such as we see in England and in this story here. The big difference between India and Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, etc. is that justice usually gets served in India, so yes, they are more like us than Syria.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

They better be convicted or the rioting with start. I cannot imagine how any human could do that to a defenseless woman ( the iron rod will haunt me a long time)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

In Canada, the offence of “rape” does not exist; replaced instead by various definitions of sexual assault. Our Criminal Code specifies that every person who commits aggravated sexual assault under 273.(1) CCC is guilty of an indictable offence and subject to a minimum term of four years to imprisonment to life. We do not have the death penalty, and it would be up to the sentencing judge to determine when parole eligibility would apply.

I suspect that if this matter was dealt with in Canada parole eligibility would be determined as it would in the case of a second degree murder conviction, where under section 745.(c) CCC the person be sentenced to imprisonment for life without eligibility for parole until the person has served at least ten years of the sentence or such greater number of years, not being more than twenty-five years.

In respect of a person who has been convicted of second degree murder where that person has been previously been convicted of culpable homicide that is murder, then under section 745.(b) CCC that person be sentenced to imprisonment for life without eligibility for parole until the person has served twenty-five years of the sentence.

In Canada, even without a prior conviction, the sentencing Judge would have the latitude to sentence a person to imprisonment for life without eligibility for parole until the person has served twenty-five years of the sentence. I could not find a provision in the Criminal Code that would allow a period of incarceration to exceed twenty five years - although I think there must be some extenuating circumstances where that could be made to happen.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:GF you are old enough ( I think ) to remember when women did not report sexual assaults because the police or the courts would say it was their fault or the woman herself would think it was her fault. Do you as a woman walk alone in the dark at night ? Do you feel confident to do so ?
How about domestic violence ? The police would not get involved.
I don't think India is any different then Canada was years back. It will take time but they too will eventually change.

It is different, there they are made to account for it as if they caused it and their families are shamed for it as if they caused it as well so even the families sometimes want to kill the victim for it happening. She is a victim, not a *bleep*. Here it wasnt reported all the time many years back but it wasnt because the family would kill their own over it, it was because many women thought it might not come to any justice and some were afraid of the perp coming back at them and that is changing. There were also many other reasons, like saving herself her job,,, that is changing too.
Good for the latest victim here in Canada standing up to it and charging the men who raped her but she has to come to the conclusion we have a real legal system that can fend for her and she needs to shed the cover up clothing and let the jurours see her as well as the men she is charging. It has to be as fairly done as possible and she needs justice the Canadian way since she is here. Her family also needs to realise rape isnt her fault and let her get that justice and then move on with her life. This """is""" very different and she for one is kinda proving that herself by standing up right here in Canada and using the system as it is intended for.
We in Canada have never killed our own for being raped.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I read the original story and I was left with the feeling that forced sex is so common that it almost sounds like a cultural thing.

While I and many others would condemn these animals for their actions, we will not change the way things are done in any other country than our own. And it's hard enough to get things changed here.

I can't get on board with any culture where women are treated as second class. It astounds me to think that there are millions of women who either have been or will be subjected to this kind of brutality and that virtually nothing will be done. That their families could somehow blame them is unfathomable.

My wish though is that each and every one of these men are executed. And soon.

KEA.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Clearly the men were not Muslim, and this rape had nothing to do with "rape jihad." A horrific crime, so hopefully justice will be served.
- Douglas Murray
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I think but I am not sure,,, but it looks like this crime is changing things. I see they are adding courts to main cities to deal with this kind of crime, even students are screaming in protests for changes to respect and care about women.
What I do notice lately is these protest signs are in english,,, are they seeing it like we do here in north america? Maybe I am just seeing things but it sure looks like things could get better if enough is said, its too bad a woman had to die such a terrible death to come to this but then again many have died un noticed all along, its just been decided by some that its enough already. I hope everything for the women there many things change like their right to be equal for one and they get to make their own choices how their life will be.
Time to start casterating the men for Screwing with those womens lives. Seems no problem for them to casterate their women all these years. Time the women decide if they will be mutilated and if they will cover themselves up and its time they had freedom to walk the streets as any other without having to be accompanied by their husbands and masked and education for all. Women should not fear being on buses and going to school.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

NEW DELHI—Five men accused of raping a university student for hours on a bus as it drove through India's capital were charged Thursday with murder, rape and other crimes that could bring them the death penalty.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... s-in-india
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Yes, the death penalty would be good for these five, and if not for other brutal rape cases too as a maximum it would be nice to see casteration and life imprisonment happen for all those rapes not causing a death.
Its about time they see the wrong in this kind of action. Problem is the men dont fear for their lives or their future over commiting crimes against women because women are worthless over there. Some moms are even killed by their husbands for having a second female birth, and some for their first baby being female instead of male.
Its always been the female and her families fault if she was raped, and worse many rapes are within the family. They are like animals. Its not like it doesnt happen here but we do know its wrong and it is dealt with and education does teach us its wrong and wont be tolerated. They need to come to that so when it does happen its not because its common and is brushed off like it is ok.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

An Indian lawyer defending three of the men charged with rape and murder in connection with a brutal attack on a 23-year-old woman on a New Delhi bus says the victims are to blame for what happened.

"Until today, I have not seen a single incident or example of rape with a respected lady," Manohar Lal Sharma told Bloomberg in an interview from India's capital. "Even an underworld don would not like to touch a girl with respect."

He said the two victims should not have been travelling on public transit late in the evening, and the man who was beaten had failed to shield his female companion from harm.

"The man has broken the faith of the woman," Sharma told the news service. "If a man fails to protect the woman, or she has a single doubt about his failure to protect her, the woman will never go with that man."

The attack has forced India to confront the reality that sexually assaulted women are often blamed for the crime, forced to keep quiet and discouraged from going to authorities for fear of exposing their families to ridicule. Police often refuse to accept complaints from rape victims, and the rare prosecutions that reach courts can drag on for years.

Authorities have charged five men with murder, rape and other crimes in the New Delhi attack that could bring them the death penalty. A sixth suspect, who is 17 years old, is expected to be tried in a juvenile court, where the maximum sentence would be three years in a reform facility.

Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan said last week that a DNA test confirmed that the blood of the victim matched blood stains found on the clothes of all the accused.

Sharma said his three clients intend to plead not guilty, telling Reuters that the case against them is based on "manipulated evidence."

The crime has led to calls for tougher rape laws and reforms of a police culture. India's top law enforcement official has said the country needs to crack down on crimes against women.

The female victim was a medical student who worked a night job at a local call centre "helping Canadians with their mortgage issues," the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday. CBC News has been unable to confirm the woman's employment details.

Her companion recounted in a television interview last week how the pair was attacked for 2½ hours on a New Delhi bus before being thrown to the side of the road, where passersby ignored them and police debated jurisdiction issues before helping them.

The student died at a Singapore hospital weeks after the Dec. 16 attack.

Indian law prohibits the disclosure of victims' identities in rape cases. While neither the companion nor the TV network, Zee News, identified the woman, police opened an investigation into Zee News after the interview was broadcast, saying too many details about the attack had been revealed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... awyer.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The Lawyer should be prosecuted as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I've been following the story since it happened. HE did try to protect her. Worse yet after they laid outside for hours he had to carry her bleeding body to the car as no police officer would touch her. He had to beg for clothing at the hospital.

Female lawyers are protesting, this is going to be a major turning point for women in India.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Social Concerns”