Do you want smart meters?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 32

rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

I know this has been discussed before but I'm making new thread because I don't like the wording of the poll.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85782

I think there's more to it than just the health fears. All though I find it plesantly suprising that more than half right now have voted yes - they are scared. Include the number of people who dislike them for other reasons and I think we'll see why our govt didn't ask before they decided to spend over a billion dollars of our money on this.

Yes that's right, our province decided to spend over a billion dollars of our money on this program, without asking us. They orginally marketted it as something to catch grow ops. They barely mentioned the idea of saving energy. I hate the idea of our govt wasting our money on a tool to help them spy on us.

When we accept some emr because it comes with something that benefits us, that's one thing, but when emr is forced on us by our government that's different and it's setting precedence, diving into a slippery slope where we'll have no say against anyone wanting to bombard us with emr.

They say it'll save energy by encouraging people to use energy at non peak hours. First off, it won't reduce energy use, just usage at peak times. And second, I don't like the idea of poor people having one more thing to stress about, one more thing that other people get to do but they can't.

Health fears are not the only reason people dislike smart meters, people also dislike governents that act like dictators.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Do you want smart meters?

Post by Relentless »

I believe that the sole purpose for spending a Billion dollars to change over to smart meters is strictly so that our Hydro suppliers can fine tune(increase) our costs based on comsumption and time of use.

When all else fails, and there is no other reason to increase costs, other than GREED, lets create a meter that will make us another Billion dollars a year by raping people of their hard earned money!

In this day and age, with our economy creeping, there should be no demand for increased costs and taxes.
The only ones not phased by the smart meters are most of the rich folk.

The Smart Meter is another marketting scam to con us out of money, much like the Metric system which allowed increases to be hidden as people weren't aware.

Here is an example: A gallon, 4.54 litres is the equivilent.
We live in Canada and everything we buy is in American sized gallons of 3.89L which has been tuned to 3.7L as of late.
So, the same money for a slightly smaller size.

When it comes to Hydro, they will need to re-coop their Billion for changing the meters over, so our Bills will show an increase in rates whenever they apply and the Government allows it.

Sit in the dark, and you'll be fine.
Use over a certain amount and pay a different rate.
Use at a different time and pay a different rate.

So, and Icecream cone is $1
It is going to be a different price throughout the day, and as well a different price if you buy lots of them. It might be $1.50 or $1.75 depending on the conditions.

I get a kick out of the commercial where the smart meter will let them know that power is out somewhere, making it look like the smart meter is so smart.
Folks, companies don't spend this kind of money to only charge you less in the future.
It's all about Corporate GREED!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm ok with them.

:137:
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

we have no choice .except stop using electricity.the swiss had a referendum and said no.smart people.
Peace be with you.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I don't like the OP's poll question.

Do you want smart meters? My answer is neither yes nor no. I don't care. I have one now and I don't care.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

What's wrong with the "dumb" ones ??

I voted NO...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Just something else to make me feel inadequate. I already have a phone that's smarter than me, do I really need a meter to add to my stupidity?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

-fluffy- wrote:Just something else to make me feel inadequate. I already have a phone that's smarter than me, do I really need a meter to add to my stupidity?

AND , people get paid to read them...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

There is a class action suit against Hydro and smart meters. Seems they have a tendency to burst into flames and burn your house down.
http://www.stopsmartmetersbc.ca/html/?cat=79
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

UltraViolet wrote:
The Smart Meter is another marketting scam to con us out of money, much like the Metric system which allowed increases to be hidden as people weren't aware.

Here is an example: A gallon, 4.54 litres is the equivilent.
We live in Canada and everything we buy is in American sized gallons of 3.89L which has been tuned to 3.7L as of late.
So, the same money for a slightly smaller size.

Huh?!?!
The American gallon has not changed. And everything we buy is not in American gallons.
You and 71 others Like this post
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Interesting. I recently bought some paint in two sizes. The larger size can is the equivalent of one US gallon capacity, and the smaller size can the equivalent of two US pints capacity. Fairly standard sizes across the line it seems, just that they are labelled in litres here. (The labelled quantity won't exactly convert to the equivalent in US gallon or 2 pint size as they don't fill the cans, but they are close at 3.64 Litres and 911 Millilitres respectively. Will have to pay attention to other purchases for similar comparisons in future.)

As for my smart meter, I have no problem with them. I'm just disappointed that they have recently decided to extend for a year the conversion to time of day billing to allow time to deal with those who are objecting to them. But I suspect that, like most things, the rates associated with that conversion will indeed turn into yet another increased cash grab from consumers.

PS. Whether I want a smart meter or not is irrelevant... most of us have one already, and it probably won't be too long before other utilities (such as natural gas) have them too.

Nab
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

So it sounds like some people dont like them and some people dont mind them. But does anyone actually like them? Does anyone think the billion dollars spent on them was worth it?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Condsidering that a smart meter may have been the cause of a house fire in Vernon today , NO , I dont want them.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85950
by Ragnar Haagen - Story: 85950
Jan 16, 2013 / 12:42 pm

The cause of a small fire that broke out Sunday afternoon at Rosalinda’s Filipino Kitchen in Vernon has been determined to be an electrical short that happened at the base of a smart meter.

Initial estimates peg the amount of damage to be around $25,000 but that number could climb higher.

The restaurant was open at the time of the incident, but there were no injuries and the blaze was quickly attacked by the quick thinking owner with the help of a nearby fire extinguisher.

The restaurant is expected to re-open in a few weeks.

I guess this puts us around 1.000025 billion dollars now
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

While the headline of the story states "Smart meter may be cause of fire", the first line of the story states:
The cause of a small fire that broke out Sunday afternoon at Rosalinda’s Filipino Kitchen in Vernon has been determined to be an electrical short that happened at the base of a smart meter.

Which is it? May be or has been determined? Was it or was it not? Although the first line states it has been determined to be to from an electrical short that happened at the base of a meter, was it the meter that was the problem? Was it in pre-existing wiring that was at the base of the smart meter? What authority made the determination? The article doesn't say.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.

Return to “Social Concerns”