What if we treated seniors like prisoners?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
coffeeFreak
Guru

What if we treated seniors like prisoners?

Post by coffeeFreak »

jails vs senior care.jpg

Here is one example of too many with a similar theme on the neglect and mistreatment of our elderly:

More neglect complaints at Sunnybrook
by The Canadian Press - Story: 86131
Jan 20, 2013 / 7:05 am

In an effort to come to grips with a series of complaints about its quality of care and how those complaints are dealt with, the country's largest veterans facility has called in an outside expert to look at the situation.

The review of the Sunnybrook Veteran's Centre this week comes in addition to an official audit by the federal government that is currently underway.

The new audit will focus on those beds funded by Ontario's Ministry of Health, a cost of about $29.2 million a year, but has disavowed any responsibility for oversight of the centre.

The review, which begins this week, is being carried out by Karima Velji. The senior executive at Baycrest, a prominent research hospital focused on the elderly, is also an assistant nursing professor at the University of Toronto.

"We would like you to focus on quality of care in the provincially funded chronic-care beds, with an in-depth focus on the processes used to resolve complaints," Sunnybrook's executive vice-president Malcolm Moffat said in a letter to Velji.

In a series of articles in recent months, The Canadian Press highlighted concerns raised by relatives and attendants about what they see as serious deficiencies in the basic care of the most frail of the 500 veterans at the centre.

Complaints include delayed feedings, rough handling, residents left languishing in hallways or bed, unsanitary conditions and unexplained injuries. Relatives said Sunnybrook was dismissive of, or hostile to, their efforts to raise concerns.

The articles also identified a lack of government oversight of the facility, which one senior provincial official called a federal-provincial "grey area."

Sunnybrook has steadfastly maintained its care is as good as, or better, than comparable facilities. It cites surveys showing industry-leading levels of patient and relative satisfaction and top scores on voluntary care reviews.

In response to the publicized complaints, Steven Blaney, minister of veterans affairs, ordered the first thorough audit of the facility in more than seven years. Results are expected in the near future.

"I'm not certain that (Veterans Affairs Canada) felt they have complete jurisdiction over all of the beds," said Sunnybrook spokesman Craig DuHamel.

"So, we felt that inviting another external reviewer in to focus solely on those beds that are funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care ... would help round (the audit) out a little bit more."

DuHamel said a copy of Velji's findings will be forwarded to a senior Ontario bureaucrat for any feedback the province might want to provide.

"We will review those findings and will look to the hospital to see what actions they may take as a result," said Ontario Health Ministry spokesman Dave Jensen.

One relative, Debra Stuart, said she had accepted invitations to meet Velji or attend a focus group despite her concern Sunnybrook was orchestrating the review.

"The families are skeptical about the objectivity and transparency," Stuart said.

Mike Blais, president of Canadian Veterans Advocacy and a member of a newly minted external advisory group on Sunnybrook set up by Veterans Affairs and chaired by the veterans ombudsman, said he, too, had his doubts.

"Without an independent quality of care audit launched by the province to ensure accountability over the 310 chronic care beds they're responsible for, justice will not be served," Blais said.

The problem, he said, is what he called a lack of accountability and oversight at the provincial level.

"If the federal government has downloaded all these veterans-based hospitals ... there also is a moral obligation that has been downloaded to the provinces as well," Blais said.

"I identify it as a matter of required legislation."

Blaney's spokesman, Niklaus Schwenker, said the government welcomed the new review.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/86131/More-neglect-complaints-at-Sunnybrook
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: What if we treated seniors like prisoners?

Post by Liquidnails »

Don't put granny in a home then.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

nobody's getting cold meals at the dorchester maybe at cottonwoods. getting old isn't a crime its just getting old poor.
Peace be with you.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

kibbs wrote:nobody's getting cold meals at the dorchester maybe at cottonwoods. getting old isn't a crime its just getting old poor.

Why do you have such a callused opinion and attitude towards the elderly?

Check out page 5.
http://www.regionaldistrict.com/media/1 ... file09.pdf
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dad spent his last 4-1/2 years at Sunnybrook in the George Hees wing. Absolutely no problems with the nursing staff, doctors or care he received while there.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Why do you have such a callused opinion and attitude towards the elderly?

I dont geni you just dont understand what i saying .What i am saying is that if you have enough money when you retire ,your old age facility will likely not have cold soup.if you are unfortunate enough to get old with only social security you will spend your last days at a place like cottenwoods ,At which the treatment could be compered to that of prisoners.If you care for the elderly as much as I do ,you will join me at Sutherland Nursing Home on Tuesday for a church service we are giving.
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Not necessarily true....sometimes the care in the homes is lacking big time and access to even a doctor is limited by the powers that be. Whereas prisoners get their every need taken care of and pay nothing....WE pay.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Once again you will find higher end places will have better staff.Most people who work in care homes have medical training ,and nothing truly unexpected happens to someones health there.However in a prison you never know what medical emergency may pop up.The guards can get shivved to.
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Well, my sister worked in a "higher end" place.....not true. It was pathetic.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Well, my sister worked in a "higher end" place.....not true. It was pathetic.

Its always best to shop around .If you really think the pen would be better, get granny a gun and a hoodie .i await further study and comparison.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

kibbs wrote:If you really think the pen would be better

It seems their rights are looked after better than seniors in some cases. Maybe because lawyers are involved?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

reading/comprehension problem? The people in the prisons have their every need, pretty much, taken care of.....good food, doctors on hand, exercise, entertainment (tv, internet), but they pay nothing....we pay. In an old folk's home, they, or their families pay big time....even for things that should be supplied....they, in many cases, don't even get any form of entertainment and sometimes the food is lacking. Lots of times, the access to a doctor is also lacking, which is completely out of line....but it happens. I know of one place that charges per what the client requires. One woman was told that her mother required a lot of care, so the cost would be 6500/month.
The idea of that is not to put the elderly in "prison" literally.....it is that inmates get better treatment than the elderly in many cases.....do you always take everything literally? IMO, of course.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Would it make old people feel better if we starved and beat prisoners.sadly it would.Nobody saves up to go to prison or plans to be there .One is an eventuality the other is an unfortunate circumstance.If you compare apples and oranges you should note all the differences.
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

oh, good lord.....
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I remember when I did my care aid practicum in one of the Interior Health extended care wings...Another student and I ended up in what we were later told was the "hell hole". The first week we both cried almost every day. It was shocking and heartbreaking to see how our elders were being treated by staff who were no longer connected to the humanity of their job.. I have since been in places where the residents are treated better, but staffing is almost always lacking. Time is at a premium and sometimes you just can't get to someone sitting in a soiled brief as quickly as you would like, or if they are a "feed' and are fussing, that you can't linger to ensure they eat enough...And unless things have changed in the last couple years, residents in complex care only get one bath per week, that is unless they can afford to hire private care to give them extras.

Of course there are awesome care givers who care and go the extra length,and for the seniors who are more independent I am sure their experiences are much better, but complex care is a whole other beast, one I wouldn't wish upon anyone. As I watch my mother's health fail, I honestly pray that she will go before the need for complex care is ever required.

And Kibbs, if you hit the place where complex care is needed, your options will be very limited, unless of course you have the money to equip and staff care for yourself around the clock...

Return to “Social Concerns”