Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by George+ »

Guess you don't have any counter arguments for the fact
that teachers last only about 5 years.
Along with the RCMP.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

George+ wrote:Guess you don't have any counter arguments for the fact
that teachers last only about 5 years.
Along with the RCMP.

You didn't even have the balls to respond. So be it commie boy.
Not afraid to say "It".
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

There were several things in that article that jumped out at me. In random order here they are:

1. I have no doubt that there are false accusations that are made and not just against teachers. Ironically, though, the issue we had in BC when the BCTF controlled the BCCT was that some guilty teachers were getting off. And let's face it, some teachers are a bit careless and leave themselves open to false accusations. Frankly, though, the "false accusations" aspect seems to be way overblown in that article.

2. Teachers not receiving merit pay is a real problem says the article and yet the BCTF has always fought against any system of merit pay. So there you go.

3. As to many teachers moving on to other careers by the time they've taught for five years you must admit (well you should but you may not) that not everyone is cut out to teach. Many who get their teaching credential think that they'll like teaching but it turns out they don't. That definitely skews the average down. There are many teachers like you and I George who put in a full career so we have to remember that.

4. The article talks about how teachers, parents, and administrators should all be working together and yet the union-management system that we now have makes that much harder than it was previously. People like you spout off about how you have little if any respect for administrators and how they just stand around drinking coffee all day. You're not doing your part, George, and that's because you union zealots don't know how to work together with management.

5. As for teachers now having "low social status" you can lay that right on the doorstep of the BCTF. Teachers used to be regarded as professionals but when you have teachers during job action now breaking their word to students about sponsoring a field trip or coaching a team, withdrawing from staff meetings, refusing to do any work - including helping students - outside of regular class hours it's no wonder that their social stauts is lower. What do you expect?? Good grief George.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Great post Urbane. Now watch comrade George post a link to yet another union-sponsored article full of lies as a response. No thinking, just parroting union lies. That's the dinosaur way.
Not afraid to say "It".
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Don't see much for solutions from you, Urbane other than
dump on the union, again, and/or go have coffee with the administrators.

The union is NOT going to go away. So...come up with something else.
Does the current government carry ANY responsibility. ( Worst in the
history of teaching in B.C.)

Perhaps the working and learning conditions are just too difficult to manage?
Too many challenged students.
Lack of parental responsibility.
Lack of admin. support
Class size.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Don't see much for solutions from you, Urbane other than
    dump on the union, again, and/or go have coffee with the administrators.

The union is NOT going to go away. So...come up with something else.
    Does the current government carry ANY responsibility. ( Worst in the
    history of teaching in B.C.)

Perhaps the working and learning conditions are just too difficult to manage?
    Too many challenged students.
    Lack of parental responsibility.
    Lack of admin. support
    Class size.
Whine, whine, whine . . . I hope you feel better, but as you and your union brethren continue to tell us how terrible things are in the public school system more parents move their kids to private schools. Maybe that's the solution. Too bad you had such a miserable time but I enjoyed my 34 years of teaching. I had excellent administrative and parental support and terrific support from CEA's when I had challenged students.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

So...
If they are headed to the private schools so fast,
how come there are so many portables?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:So...
You have areas where the population is decreasing and a school might need to be closed and other areas where the population is growing and portables are needed. Surely you understand that. Private schools are doing well though.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

George+ wrote:So...

Again with the union lies commie George. Keep posting - more votes to the Liberals!
Not afraid to say "It".
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

The unions were good at one time they did a lot to improve work conditions ,Now they are the fat cats and continually throw the sticks in the spokes of life,to justify their useless existence.
Parent 1: What are you waiting for ?
Parent 2: My kid so I can take him to an after school activity .You?
Parent 1:For teachers to end their job action .
Parent 2:How long have you been waiting?
Parent 1:two years
Parent 2:long time man!

Wasted money on union propaganda makes me very angry. :purefury:
Peace be with you.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Funny, I feel the same way about
Liberal, taxpayer paid propaganda.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Spending on education has gone up but I guess it's hard to keep up with the costs of massages:

CTV British Columbia
Published Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The cost of Vancouver teachers’ unlimited massage benefit soared to $1.62 million last year, contributing to the district's latest multimillion-dollar budget crisis.
The Vancouver School Board confirmed teachers’ 2012 claims represented a 50 per cent increase over 2008, when they filed for $1.08 million worth of massages.
Over the same period, the number of teachers actually decreased from 3,728 to 3,605.

Board spokesman Kurt Heinrich told CTV News that while the pricey job perk is paid for by the VSB, it was negotiated at the provincial level.
“Any changes to it would have to be bargained by the BC Public School Employers Association,” Heinrich said in an email. “Unfortunately, the VSB has no control over this.”
The board confirmed all claims are subject to the Pacific Blue Cross’ reasonable and customary limits, though the organization can only request a doctor’s note for massage claims after 24 visits in a calendar year.
The claims must also be for registered massage treatments.
Gerry Kent of the Vancouver Elementary School Teachers Association defended the unlimited massage benefit, describing the work of an educator as “very stressful and challenging.”
“I’m not privy to why they’re taking the therapy but I believe teachers who are taking these therapies are doing it to maintain their ability to go to work,” Kent said.
Principals and administrators also have access to the benefit, though claim details were not available Wednesday.
The VSB, which grapples with regular deficits in the millions of dollars, is facing a $7.9 million budget shortfall this year, and has put eight teacher positions on the chopping block to help balance the books.
It’s also committed to better supervision and record-keeping in hopes of bringing down costs.
“We need to talk about what is going on, what is the reason behind it and make sure that appropriate oversight is in place,” trustee Mike Lombardi said.
Most B.C. teachers are covered by a standardized provincial health plan that has benefit caps, though Coquitlam teachers also have access to unlimited massages.
Benefit negotiations are currently underway, and the bargaining agent for the school boards said Vancouver and Coquitlam could save precious education dollars by joining the provincial plan.
With a report from CTV British Columbia’s Mi-Jung Lee

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-teachers ... z2QPCAV545
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Zzzzzzzz.... Boring.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

George+ wrote:Zzzzzzzz.... Boring.

What a helpful contribution George. Glad to see you aren't continuing to be complete useless.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Zzzzzzzz.... Boring.
Sure. I've heard that BCTF ad for the NDP (many times now - boy, they sure have a lot of money to spend!) and I didn't hear them mention $1.6 million spent on free massages in just one year for teachers in Vancouver. But not enough money being spent for smaller classes they say. So you just go with your "Zzzzzz... Boring" routine because even you have trouble justifying that.

Return to “Social Concerns”