Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kitqat

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by kitqat »

Thank you to those who answered my question... I'm in the middle of the program right now but I live in Vancouver where starting rate is $26/hr but I'm moving up to Kelowna after the completion of my program so it's been tricky to find out certain information! :)
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

sooperphreek wrote:ummmm i thought the ink was dry on the contract and bargaining was over?? am i missing something??
I would hope that moving forward some lessons have been learned by all parties. I was listening to Fred Steele this morning on the radio. He's the president of the BC Fruit Growers' Association and he talked about $8.4 million being provided by the provincial government to re-plant trees over the next seven years. When asked if it was enough and if he was happy he said yes. He went on to talk about the positive attitude the fruit growers had when dealing with the government and the positive attitude from government (I paraphrase but that was the gist of it). By working WITH government the fruit growers were able to reach a deal that will be good for them and for our economy in general.

There's certainly a huge lesson to be learned from the fruit growers (and from BCTF past failures) for those running the BCTF. A deal was eventually reached between the BCTF and the government but with a positive attitude and the willingness to work WITH government it could have happened much sooner. Let's hope that the BCTF takes a page out of the BC Fruit Growers' Association book and approaches government in a more collaborative way in the future. I'm not holding my breath but I am hoping.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote:I would hope that moving forward some lessons have been learned by all parties. I was listening to Fred Steele this morning on the radio. He's the president of the BC Fruit Growers' Association and he talked about $8.4 million being provided by the provincial government to re-plant trees over the next seven years. When asked if it was enough and if he was happy he said yes. He went on to talk about the positive attitude the fruit growers had when dealing with the government and the positive attitude from government (I paraphrase but that was the gist of it). By working WITH government the fruit growers were able to reach a deal that will be good for them and for our economy in general.

There's certainly a huge lesson to be learned from the fruit growers (and from BCTF past failures) for those running the BCTF. A deal was eventually reached between the BCTF and the government but with a positive attitude and the willingness to work WITH government it could have happened much sooner. Let's hope that the BCTF takes a page out of the BC Fruit Growers' Association book and approaches government in a more collaborative way in the future. I'm not holding my breath but I am hoping.

Did you also hear the interview this morning about BC's horrendous record in dealing with child poverty?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urb wrote:

A deal was eventually reached between the BCTF and the government but with a positive attitude and the willingness to work WITH government it could have happened much sooner. Let's hope that the BCTF takes a page out of the BC Fruit Growers' Association book and approaches government in a more collaborative way in the future. I'm not holding my breath but I am hoping.

In this past current case with the BCTF, a positive attitude on the part of the government and a change in the premier's antagonistic stance to the teachers would have defused this situation early on.

It is noteworthy that the ChristyLiberal government planned the $40 a day bribe to parents as early as May 30.. does that impute government 'positive attitude towards meaningful negotiations?? Didn't think so....
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    In this past current case with the BCTF, a positive attitude on the part of the government and a change in the premier's antagonistic stance to the teachers would have defused this situation early on.

It is noteworthy that the ChristyLiberal government planned the $40 a day bribe to parents as early as May 30.. does that impute government 'positive attitude towards meaningful negotiations?? Didn't think so....

There are hardworking parents out there who appreciated and really needed that $40 a day so it's pretty callous of you to dismiss their needs. You call it bribe money, and have done so dozens of times on here, and so I suppose you agree with the BCTF that teachers shouldn't have accepted that money?? While it's fun for you to blame Christy Clark for the failures of the BCTF over the past few decades (as you blame her for everything else as well) there are some changes desperately needed in the BCTF.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

flamingfingers wrote:
In this past current case with the BCTF

Past current case? I now defer to your position on the need for increased funding for education....at least in the subject of English. Did you miss a few classes while out on a demonstration line?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

I got my cheque today! $2810 (less about $1000 for taxes). Merry Christmas!! :) :) :)

ETA: to add appropriate marks to indicate my emotional state.
Last edited by KGT on Dec 19th, 2014, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

KGT wrote:I got my cheque today. $2810 less about $1000 for taxes. Merry Christmas.

Poor thing. Teachers are the only children I know that gets money when they have a hissy fit.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

KGT wrote:I got my cheque today. $2810 less about $1000 for taxes. Merry Christmas.

I hope you gave the remaining cash all to charity. It wouldn't seem right keeping it after all the whining you did about all of the evil right-wing people here who were all so selfish for not just agreeing that the BCTF should just be given everything it asked for.
Not afraid to say "It".
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Let the insults flow, when it's all ya got.
We're lost but we're making good time.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Nibs wrote:Let the insults flow, when it's all ya got.

and KGT did just that, in spades.
Not afraid to say "It".
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Static wrote:
Poor thing. Teachers are the only children I know that gets money when they have a hissy fit.

That was far from a hissy fit. I am super happy to get it, especially before Christmas. I guess I should have added exclamation marks and happy faces so I wasn't mis interpreted.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

So I guess today was Karma for not paying us for Sept 19th....
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

Bargaining is going to look a little more fair/realistic now that the highest provincial court has looked at this.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Great article and true. The recommendations at the end are bang on.

"To my mind, public school teaching is an easier job than most. It requires a modest education, offers several months off each year, a short work day when compared to many professions and job security to the extent you can’t be fired for even egregiously poor performance.

So what exactly are teachers striking about now? Bill Tufts, author of Pension Ponzi, notes: “Teachers, in the span of a single generation, went from being members of the lower middle class, to upper middle class, to upper class today.”

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/news/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/executive/management-hr/teachers-deserve-no-more-or-less-than-private-sector-workers&pubdate=2015-05-19

Return to “Social Concerns”