Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Do you have any other examples of a TEN YEAR contract?

AND give your head a shake. That committee "doling out" for class size
    and composition IS doing teacher bargaining.

The BCTF is doing what they need to do and with teacher support.
So the BCTF, if they were actually interested in negotiating, could suggest a five year contract. And they could suggest other changes as well so your argument is bogus. And your paradigm is all about the teachers and not about the students. Mine is about the students. Remember the students George? You see the class size and composition talks as all about the teachers and their right to negotiate the terms while I see it as finding what's best for students within a fiscal framework that's sustainable. And those hard and fast rules that the union wants are counter-productive and hinder the process of getting the resources where they're needed. I've said that now dozens of times but it's true. You need to trust the school-based administrators rather than relying on those rules that just get in the way.

The good news is that as angry as many people are with the present government they also see through the self-serving rhetoric of the BCTF. In fairness, the BCTF is not a professional organization; it's a trade union and trade unions misrepresent things to try and attain their goals. I do think that you sometimes sell your former colleagues short though. Yes, they're going along with the union dictates for the most part but there is a lot of dissension in the ranks when it comes to the BCTF. You know that many of them went against their union during last year's job action and actually helped students out of regular classroom hours and I saw that as a positive sign. And there are many teachers who want their union to be far more cooperative with the government (any government) rather than dismissing every single proposal from the government out of hand.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Urbane you'd have better success teaching a monkey to fly a 747, than you will getting your point across to the witlless wonder.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Urbane you'd have better success teaching a monkey to fly a 747, than you will getting your point across to the witlless wonder.
Yup. Sad but true.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

what is sad but true is that for every teacher out there who is smart enough to see through the BS being peddled by the fools at the BCTF, there are five fanatical nuts like George, who will never get it. As long as the BCTF is around, the only strategy of the unionists will be to be combative and to put their interests ahead of students and the taxpayers who pay their salaries. All that is acceptable to these dinosaurs is the status quo. Any innovative thinking, proposals or changes will be dismissed outright, and the sheep like George will always be there to support this, no matter how stupid the BCTF looks. This fanaticism by the likes of George and other unionists is just like those who buy into dictatorships. Its always the most dense that make the best followers, as they are too dense to ever question authority. George is the perfect follower. :skippingsheep:
Not afraid to say "It".
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Christy has hated teachers since day 1. Wonder why. Her father was a teacher. Interesting.....
Chill
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

flamingfingers wrote:Christy has hated teachers since day 1. Wonder why. Her father was a teacher. Interesting.....

this is such a load of unionist liquid crap. The government trying to settle the issue with teachers and put students first is equivalent to them hating teachers. My goodness. In one post you totally proved my theory Maplefingers. It is the most dense like you, that make the best followers. DUHHHHH.... :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep:
Not afraid to say "It".
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Nah, with her academic background it is obvious that she has a hate on for teachers.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Nah, with her academic background it is obvious that she has a hate on for teachers.
What an ignorant ill-informed comment from you flaming. It was Christie Clark, as Education Minister, who gave in to the BCTF and allowed them to control the College of Teachers. That was a mistake on her part but it shoots down your argument. Anyway, just because someone doesn't give in to every whim of the BCTF does not mean that they hate teachers. How about you flaming? Do you agree with everything that the BCTF has to say or do you hate teachers? Which is it?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

logicalview wrote:this is such a load of unionist liquid crap. The government trying to settle the issue with teachers and put students first is equivalent to them hating teachers. My goodness. In one post you totally proved my theory Maplefingers. It is the most dense like you, that make the best followers. DUHHHHH.... :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep:
Exactly. The BCTF and their followers deliberately equate the BCTF with individual teachers and try to convince others that if you don't agree with the ridiculous demands of the union you hate teachers. So stupid and so easy to see right through.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

BCTF cautiously optimistic about new plan by province
Premier wants your child to go to school from Grade 2 to 12 without labour disruptions
News1130 Staff/The Canadian Press October 17, 2012 8:45 pm

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The BC government is moving to fix its dysfunctional bargaining relationship with the province’s public school teachers.

Premier Christy Clark announced a review of the process with the goal of making legislative changes next spring, at the same time the teachers’ contract expires.

Clark has appointed Education Minister Don McRae to conduct consultations and review reports with the goal of long-term labour stability and improving the relationship between the union and government.

The teachers union says they welcome the news of fixing the bargaining process but when asked about a long-term labour deal, BC Teachers’ Federation President Susan Lambert says she doesn’t know why the premier is bringing up a 10-year contract with this announcement.

“The structure of bargaining really has nothing to do with the content of a deal that is put to the table, so I’m kind of mystified that there would be notion of a ten year deal but isn’t that part of bargaining not part of structure?” Lambert asks.

Clark says she believes changes can be made to make the system better if everyone is willing to co-operate and keep an open mind.

“We’ve been promised consultation before and that has ended up with punitive legislation. So we are wary, we hope this process is one with integrity, we hope this process honours and respects the voice of teachers,” says Lambert.

The BCTF has had a fractious relationship with the government for decades and spent most of the last school year in job action before reluctantly agreeing to a new one-year contract.

Trustees weigh in on BC’s plan to fix broken relationship

President of the BC School Trustees Association Michael McEvoy says it’s about time the government plans to improve the bargaining process with teachers.

“It’s been 20 years now since we’ve had the current structure in place. I think there’s been a lot of concern about how it’s worked, and particularly how it’s worked for students across British Columbia,” says McEvoy. “We’ve had way too many labour disputes between our teachers, government ,and trustees over the past 20 years and I don’t think that’s been very good for public education.”

He says trustees have been pushing for this for some time.

“Trustees have been out in front of this issue for some number of months, well before government initiated this action. Trustees have had their own review process in place. Trustees work with government in terms of bargaining and so we think it’s time that this review is taking place,” notes McEvoy.

When asked about the premier’s goal of a 10 year contract with teachers, he says that might be too ambitious.

“I don’t think we should get too far ahead ourselves here. Ten years is a goal. I think what the premier is getting at here is long term stability. To me, whether it’s three, five, six years, or whatever the number, I think we’re looking for is a mature, stable, solid relationship between government, trustees and teachers.”

McEvoy is meeting with the Education Ministry in the next few days to talk about the plan.

Why did Clark not let this process continue? It seems that the BCTF and the trustees and government were prepared to at least discuss issues.
Chill
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

flamingfingers wrote:Nah, with her academic background it is obvious that she has a hate on for teachers.

hmmm...and with Susan Lambert's communist leanings in her background it is obvious that she has a hate on for our feedom in our capitalist society, and also explains why she guiltlessly exploits children to accomplish her goals. See how easy it is to generalize like this?
Not afraid to say "It".
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    Why did Clark not let this process continue? It seems that the BCTF and the trustees and government were prepared to at least discuss issues.
They are doing just that and will continue to do just that. You're conflating the immediate contract situation with the longer term solution that many of us would like to see.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

:dyinglaughing: trust the school-based administrators
:dyinglaughing: Urbane

They get all the salary increases and their staff gets more challenged students.
Most SBAs have little respect nowadays.

The BCTF already sent proposals to the govt re improved bargaining.
ZERO of them in this proposal.
Now that's consulting and being accommodating???

THIS IS A NON STARTER. There IS NO TEACHER SUPPORT. They will be glad
to wait it out for the next govt. and or the next round of bargaining, which
is supposed to be happening right now.

Campbell tried the committee approach in the last contract with a mediator. (Vince Ready)
NOTHING HAPPENED. Do you think teachers will fall for this, again?!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Might want to check out the salaries of Lambert and Co. George, that is if you really wish to point fingers at people who get paid craploads of money, for doing absolutely nothing, but being contentious, stubborn, deceitful, greedy, and shameless when it comes to exploiting children and students for their own selfish gains!

Obviously windbags like you must condone the actions of the BCTF, and that effectively gives your credibility rating a great big doughnut.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The BCTF is NOT paid for by the government and or taxpayers.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Still 'howling at the moon' though, I see.
Try to contribute something rational.

Return to “Social Concerns”