Digital detox

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Digital detox

Post by Queen K »

Nevermind Crossroads and kicking crack.

Could you kick your digital habit?

Cell phone
Iphone
Ipod
Ipad
Netflix
Facebook
Chatlines
Tag

What have you. What would be first to go, and what would be the first you'd run back to?

I'm quite addicted to FB travel/leisure sites right now, tho I don't do apps or gaming.

Will someone have to pry a keyboard out of your cold, dead hands?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Digital detox

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:Nevermind Crossroads and kicking crack.

Cell phone yes, just basics
Iphone nope
Ipod yep
Ipad nope
Netflix yep, works well with my smart TV
Facebook nope
Chatlines nope
Tag nope

What have you. What would be first to go, and what would be the first you'd run back to?

I'm quite addicted to FB travel/leisure sites right now, tho I don't do apps or gaming.

Only online is this forum....... which I find to be very entertaining at times lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Cell phone::: for work purposes

Chatlines:::Here

My cellphone is just that, a phone, no texting, used for business.(If I plug it in to charge,
chances are I'll forget it at home.)

I am entertained by this forum and a pictures forum elsewhere..

other than that...couldn't care less..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Cell phone - nope
Iphone - nope
Ipod - nope
Ipad - nope
Netflix - nope
Facebook - nope
Chatlines - ?? you mean Castanet-type sites? I call those "forums" and I only have two that I frequent. If you don't mean forums, then I don't know what "chatlines" are.
Tag - have no idea what that is

However ................ I couldn't live without my Internet now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:Could you kick your digital habit?

Cell phone - nope

What happened to your cell phone?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Queen K wrote:
Cell phone - No, it is my only phone. No landline
Iphone - Don't have one, but I also don't use my "features" on my phone. It's a phone
Ipod - Don't have one
Ipad - Don't have one
Netflix - Don't have it
Facebook - Rarely use it already
Chatlines - Don't use it
Tag - Don't know what this is

Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Cell phone-used as it should be calls in calls out the odd text If I have to
Iphone-Its just a cell phone with useless apps
Ipod-nope
Ipad-nope
Netflix-nope
Facebook-used once or twice a day for entertainment
Chatlines-nope
Tag-nope

Will someone have to pry a keyboard out of your cold, dead hands?[/quote]
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Cell phone - yup
Iphone - Waste of money
Ipod - see above
Ipad - Ditto
Netflix - Don't have
Facebook - Only way to keep track of my Adult child units
Chatlines - Don't use
Tag - ? But don't take away my Castanet.....I keel you!

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Good questions QK

Cell phone - I have a basic (ancient hand me down) one, but lately we've been using it to give to kids when they're out, so we know they can call when they need a ride. I use it for peace of mind. I do carry it with me for emergencies, and spend a total of $10 a month on it but keep it turned off until I need it.
Iphone - don't have one
Ipod - don't have one
Ipad - don't have one
Netflix - don't subscribe
Facebook - this would be hard, I use it to keep in touch with far-flung family & friends
Chatlines - Forums, am using this less and less
Tag - Pinterest, I get many ideas for garden and kitchen off of this site

I will note, I would have a very hard time managing without email. I find that if my internet service goes down for any length of time, I will get very twitchy :7500:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Over the years technology has changed how we're able to do business.
The infrastructure that used to be in place is no longer there. In other words it would be very difficult just to "go back" to before all these things existed.
I read my news online, I pay all my bills online. I email with friends.
All the other "fun" stuff, I could do without. - Facebook, online forums, netflix, online games etc.
Whether one accesses that from a desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone what have you.... internet is sorta mandatory now adays.
Canada post is slower than molasses in january, companies charge you to send a paper bill in the mail and by the time it makes it back and forth your payment is going to be late.
Most employers don't even issue cheques, it's all digital. Heck there are lots of banking institutions, govt agencies and utility companies that only have an online/phone presence, no physical customer service place at all.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:Could you kick your digital habit?

Cell phone - nope

oneh2obabe wrote:What happened to your cell phone?

I use it so infrequently it isn't worth calling a "digital habit". Once a year I buy a $100 prepaid card and at the end of that year there's usually about $50-85 left in credit which rolls over to the next year.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I admit to having all of the gadgets but I under use them all. My phone is capable of virtually everything a phone can be capable of but I use it for calls and keeping up with e-mails.

My tablet is used for Net Flix and that's about it.

I surrendered Face Book because it demands too much of your time.

When I look at the myriad number of ways in which people can get in touch with me, it makes me twitchy.

I no longer carry my phone with me in the off hours and I am happier that way.

It's kind of funny that I don't use my stuff for more than I do because back in the day, I was the guy who had to have it all when it was new and thinking ahead to the day when you could watch movies or TV on your phone was almost more than I could stand. I wanted it now.

And now that it's here, I don't seem to care.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

"Queen K" :Could you kick your digital habit?

Cell phone --I have one because I don't have a landline, but it is very underutilized...

Iphone -- don't own

Ipod -- I use this only when I'm traveling, but still have a cd player in my car so I can live without an ipod (without a cd player it would definitely become a priority)

Ipad -- don't own

Netflix -- not a subscriber, but take away my access to 1channel and/or project free tv, and I would definitely go through some serious withdrawals...since using these to watch any of my favourite tv shows I have not had to have cable and a pvr, as well, have not had to tolerate commercials.

Facebook -- I would really miss this, but could survive without it. I use it mainly to keep in touch with family and friends, as well, I belong to a couple 'private' groups with select people where we can be a little less controlled in our conversations.

Chatlines -- as in forum? Castanet is the only one I am on, and it has become less important to me, so I could give it up, well, maybe, almost... :127:

Tag -- Don't know what this is.

It would be very challenging to live without access to the internet now...although on occasion I have taken weekend breaks to live without technology...at first I feel like I am missing an essential part of me, but within a few hours I feel a freedom from the "instant". I become more productive, more social...and realize that in all of this technology that something is lost, yet as soon as I have access, I am back at it. Although, if I had to choose between before the digital age and now, I would choose before...it seems my life and how I processed it was more grounded. I could focus more clearly and when I did tasks, socialized, parented, watched a movie etc, I was more 'present'. Now my "presence" is scattered by bits and pieces of too many unnecessary thoughts and useless information...Good question QK.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Cell phone , out the window in 1.4 seconds !

Need to keep the internet , for informational purposes only :D
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Could you kick your digital habit? Why would I want to?
Cell phone: Yes, use it for work, has my calendar and reminders, also games, news, music...I am hooked
Iphone: see cell phone

Ipod: yes I have a generation 4 Nano....just for music. Use it in my car for long trips or vacationIpad: Nope
Netflix: Yes
Facebook: yes, Mostly family contacts and close friends. I also promote my business and blog
Chatlines: No
Tag: No

What have you. What would be first to go, and what would be the first you'd run back to? Netflix and I'd run back to my phone as it does everything.

Balance is the key. I don't watch TV very often but will watch the occasion movie. We are going on vacation and will have a break from computer and TV and phone, wwe are allowed only our music.
Will someone have to pry a keyboard out of your cold, dead hands? Possibily
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

Return to “Social Concerns”