Pro Lifers... I challenge you to read this

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
a non imouse

Pro Lifers... I challenge you to read this

Post by a non imouse »

You claim you are Pro-Life - but at what cost to society and the future of this planet? I challenge you to watch this video and then make your comments.

[url]
http://www.peakprosperity.com/video/237 ... ental-data
[/url]

This video is in a series from Chris Martenson, a biochemical scientist who explores our ever-changing world and the future of it. To sum up this video:
Consider that the entire human population finally reached 3 billion in 1960, and that projections call for adding another 3 billion in only 42 more years. All of history until 1960, to get to the first 3 billion souls; roughly 40 years for the next 3 billion... This means that a stunning 50% increase in the number of humans clamoring for natural resources will have to be negotiated.

Of course he goes into much more detail about the environment, natural resources and what it means to us now and in the future, but the above quote is what stood out to me. So instead of just saying that all humans should have the right to live, I'm wondering if you've ever looked beyond that simple phrase to realize the impact the excessive human life has on this planet.

In fact, EVERYONE should watch this video/series. It's not as entertaining as "Dancing with the Stars" but a heck of lot more educational and if you care at all about your future - you must watch it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Pro Lifers... I challenge you to read this

Post by Nebula »

Do you really think a video is going to change the minds of people so entrenched on one side of a very controversial issue?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Agreed Nebula. If only it was that easy. There would be far fewer forum discussions, that's for sure.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
a non imouse

Post by a non imouse »

Nebula wrote:Do you really think a video is going to change the minds of people so entrenched on one side of a very controversial issue?

No I don't, but at least it's the another side of the issue. Knowledge is rarely a bad thing, whereas ignorance always is.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Overpopulation is a huge issue that is not talked about very much. This is not a problem that we can recycle our way out of. It is part of the reason we decided to stop reproducing after our second. We are replacing ourselves and if we'd like more kids in the future we will adopt.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I watched the video. I guess I can see why it was posted in relation to abortion but I also see it relevant in a discussion of:

1. Close your damn legs.
2. Wear a condom.
3. Take the pill.
4. Stop brainwashing the hordes to believe birth control is wrong.
5. etc.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

It was probably back in the late 50s when (I think it was TIME magazine) published an article "The Cancer Called Man" and explored the problems of uncontrolled population growth. I have looked and looked but I can't find this precise article anywhere. It made me and a lot of my friends decide (if we in fact DID have kids) to limit our sprog to replacements only.
Chill
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Not a lot of interest here !
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

That is one of the worst and most inaccurate documentaries I have seen in a long time. Even if we ignore all the errors, I fail to see what this has to do with Pro Lifers or abortion. Abortion is pretty much as common in places like Syria where everyone has 10 kids as it is in Greece were they face an equally serious problem because everyone only has 1.2 kids.

If you buy this guys bull, I recommend watching a few Penn & Teller shows, or perhaps a John Stossel show or two to hopefully knock some sense into you...

Last edited by Glacier on Jan 29th, 2013, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement
Phasing out the human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth’s biosphere to return to good health. Crowded conditions and resource shortages will improve as we become less dense.

http://www.vhemt.org/

I'm a non-contributing member.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You claim you are Pro-Life - but at what cost to society and the future of this planet? I challenge you to watch this video and then make your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECi6WJpbzE

In fact, EVERYONE should watch this video/series. It's not as entertaining as "Dancing with the Stars" but a heck of lot more educational and if you care at all about your future - you must watch it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

All life forms should have an equal right to exist, not just humans. There are too many of us and we are putting way to much pressure on resources and land, not leaving anything for, not only our future generations, but those of every other species on this rock. Thousands of species have already become extinct because of human activity. We don't need to exacerbate the with a bunch of unwanted children. Pro-Life should not just be about humans. Take the emotion out of the debate and bring in some logic for a change.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I agree that emotion should not enter a debate. Graham Adder has it right when it comes to controlling population. Abortion should not be a primary means of controlling population as the OP seems to be implying it should.

Abortions are a function of unwanted pregnancies; the greater the number unwanted pregnancies the higher the abortion rate - irrespective of legal status.

The reason the population is exploding in some parts of the world while declining in ours has nothing or at least very little to do with unwanted pregnancies, unwanted children, or abortions. Instead, it is the number of wanted pregnancies that drives up fertility rates and increases the population.
- Douglas Murray
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

cliffy1 wrote:All life forms should have an equal right to exist, not just humans. There are too many of us and we are putting way to much pressure on resources and land, not leaving anything for, not only our future generations, but those of every other species on this rock. Thousands of species have already become extinct because of human activity. We don't need to exacerbate the with a bunch of unwanted children. Pro-Life should not just be about humans. Take the emotion out of the debate and bring in some logic for a change.

Exactly 100%
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Glacier wrote:The reason the population is exploding in some parts of the world while declining in ours has nothing or at least very little to do with unwanted pregnancies, unwanted children, or abortions. Instead, it is the number of wanted pregnancies that drives up fertility rates and increases the population.

I would think it's lack of contraception that drives up fertility rates.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder

Return to “Social Concerns”