Question about school curriculum

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
james-d
Banned

Question about school curriculum

Post by james-d »

I must be of the part of society that is uninformed, I am not a religious person.per say, But I do believe in God. When really was it that the reference to God was removed from our schools.? No more lords prayer, no more God save the queen. If the school boards agree, along with the majority of teachers I have spoken to. Why do they continue to do what they do? Taking 10 days off at Christmas,time to celebrate the birth of Jesus, oops I mean Happy Holiday time.,And how come they take ten days holidays at easter to celebrate his ressurection? Would it not be prudent to keep ALL the teachers in school working that do not believe in god, And don't want it in our schools. And by the way if other faiths are offended by the christian belief in God being aknowlegded in our schools and want to take time out of the school day to pray and feel that the christian believers should just wait in suspended classess while this occurs, Is this fair play. In Toronto this is what they have requested ,because there are so many of the Muslim faith. They were refused But the muslim mps have declared they will continue to pressure the school boards until it happens, That will not take long to reach our part of the country.. But,then I assume our teachers would not mind a couple of hours a day added to their work day, Or would they? You know at least this would be showing tremendous respect for OTHER religions. Jut wondered.
mxtaylor
Fledgling

Re: question about school curriculum

Post by mxtaylor »

when the school board decided to teach facts rather than fairy tales.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I see so you do not believe in taking holidays at christmas and easter as to all the fairie tale believers? Or are you a true hypocrite
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I guees that is part of the reason our Government says no mention of the bible in schools ,But in the prison system they are encouraged to read it, I guess in case it may have some value to those who are incarcerated, And they might benefit from it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Religion has nothing to do with the school curriculum in the public system but here's a link you might want to check into:

http://www.cisnd.ca/content/our-lady-lo ... st-kelowna
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

mxtaylor wrote:when the school board decided to teach facts rather than fairy tales.

Agreed. Religion has no place in a public school (or any public system for that matter).
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

underscore wrote:Agreed. Religion has no place in a public school (or any public system for that matter).

I disagree, Tell me a better way to teach en-mass (hehe) morals, ethics and right and wrong?
As well as honour and to be faithful, whether it be to your family, your friends,
your future employer, or your spouse.

I was raised Religious but, have my own take on the whole thing.
I believe in God, just not the Church.

The teachings I recieved though still shape the way I live and treat people.

Look at society these days, no honour, no ethics and a bunch
of morally bankrupt souls wandering aimlessly.

( I should delete this, but won't, I'll stand by every word!)
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Might I add, for those that fought to get it out of the system should,
in no way benefit from what they fought against.
ie, no recognized Religious holidays for them!

Get to work!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

^ it's a holiday for everyone because it's been around so long. It's pointless for those people to try to get work done when a lot of other people are away. If you think non-religious people shouldn't get the time off then I'd counter that religious people who want their holidays should take it with their vacation time.

dirtybiker wrote:I disagree, Tell me a better way to teach en-mass (hehe) morals, ethics and right and wrong?

You can do all of that without bringing religion into it. Religion should have nothing to do with someones sense of these things, and if it does then they aren't truly a good person (ie if the only thing that prevents you from stealing a car is your religious fears, then you aren't a good person).
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

underscore wrote:You can do all of that without bringing religion into it.

Then a great number of people have definitelly dropped the ball!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And this has to do with the West Kelowna's school curriculum how? I'd rather kids be taught how to read, write and spell properly.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

R future is riding on them 2 do a good job,
that's 4 sure!

(sorry, couldn't resist. :127: )
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

james-d wrote:I see so you do not believe in taking holidays at christmas and easter as to all the fairie tale believers? Or are you a true hypocrite

I like to take those holidays for the same reason you do. To celebrate not having to work, getting to drink during the daytime and putting my feet on the coffee table at 12pm.
Love the holidays!

james-d wrote:I guees that is part of the reason our Government says no mention of the bible in schools ,But in the prison system they are encouraged to read it, I guess in case it may have some value to those who are incarcerated, And they might benefit from it.

There is no doubt that the bible has many good values, morals and ethics to be taught. It's the garbage around all the good stuff that makes it a bitter pill. There aren't many books written about the how to's to good behavior, that are as easy to feed to people that are weakened, than the bible. Put a man in a cell with two things to entertain him and he will choose the bible over Bubba 90%+ of the time I'm sure. The other figure represents the Bubba's, both big and small. lol
dirtybiker wrote:I disagree, Tell me a better way to teach en-mass (hehe) morals, ethics and right and wrong?
As well as honour and to be faithful, whether it be to your family, your friends,
your future employer, or your spouse.

I was raised Religious but, have my own take on the whole thing.
I believe in God, just not the Church.

The teachings I recieved though still shape the way I live and treat people.

Look at society these days, no honour, no ethics and a bunch
of morally bankrupt souls wandering aimlessly.

( I should delete this, but won't, I'll stand by every word!)

There are certainly "better" ways to teach those values to some, while others will learn by another means much more easily. We can't make assumptions based on our wish for a fact. We'd need to delve much deeper to find a true answer to what method is easiest.

underscore wrote:You can do all of that without bringing religion into it.
dirtybiker wrote:
Then a great number of people have definitelly dropped the ball!!

Yes. Without a doubt.
An enormous number of people have definitely dropped an immeasurable number of balls.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Some of the least trustworthy, crookedest, slimiest, dishonest people I have met are the ones who spout off about how religious they are. They are usually the first ones to stab somebody in the back, mock them for not conforming to their belief system, bully them into believing, and teach other people's kids that their parents are bad for not bring the kids up in their chosen church. Being "religious" does not make anyone a good person.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I agree with you grama freddy..

Return to “Social Concerns”