Canadian Found Dead, Tied to Tree in Mexico

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.travelandescape.ca/2012/11/c ... in-mexico/

Story by:
T+E Staff
9 November 2012

Another Canadian has been found murdered in Mexico, in what police believe may have been a robbery.

A man from British Columbia who went missing in Mexico last month has been found dead. According to Mexican media reports, his body was found tied to a tree in the beach town of Barra de Navidad, located north of Manzanillo. His neck was reportedly tied to the tree with a belt and his hands were bound with tape.

The victim, Ron Lloyd MacKintosh, was a 64-year-old retiree from Nanaimo, B.C. He had moved to Mexico two years ago, and had been a long-time visitor to the country prior to making the move.

The hunt for MacKintosh began on Oct. 22, when his common-law wife reported him missing. He was last seen in Melaque, a town near Barra de Navidad, where he had driven a friend home; his car hasn’t been found.

This is the third Canadian death in Mexico this year. Another British Columbia native, 67-year-old Robin Wood, was also killed in Melaque this year, during a home invasion in January. The second death was Duane Joseph Lang of Regina, who was murdered in an apartment in Puerto Vallarta back in August.

It’s been a horrific past few years for Canadians in Mexico. In addition to the three deaths this year, a woman had to have facial reconstruction after she was attacked in a resort in Mazatlan earlier this year.

In 2010, another B.C. man who had moved to Mexico was killed in Puerto Vallarta, and a Quebec man was found in the trunk of a burned rental car in the state of Guerrero.

In February of this year, 22 Carnival Cruise tourists were robbed at gunpoint while on a bus tour in Puerto Vallarta. No one was injured.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
netfreak
Übergod

Re: Canadian Found Dead, Tied to Tree in Mexico

Post by netfreak »

I don't know why people go down there. I was on a passenger train running through a rural area and a flying brick took out part of the window next to my head. It was also fun being questioned by Federales holding automatic weapons.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Dangerous place. Somebody I know through another person was murdered with the wife still missing.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Yea I never got the appeal. Even the resorts aren't safe anymore.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

I vacation in this area every year! It is beautiful and quite safe. There are murders that happen right here in Kelowna. I would have to say I feel safer there than I do here. It has been rumoured that this guy was into some questionable things. Let just say you don't get tied to a tree and murdered for just swimming on the beach!
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

hear! hear!
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

Maybe the prices will come down if these stories get out there. PS, anybody go to Vegas? Don't get me started about murder and crime there. Disneyland? Yep, LA is totally safe.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

tryscotty wrote:PS, anybody go to Vegas? Don't get me started about murder and crime there. Disneyland? Yep, LA is totally safe.

How many Canadians have made the news from those places?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Every single day in this province alone, there is a minimum of one murder, at least lately. Canadians killing Canadians....and yet if it happens in another country everyone is up in arms about it. You can say here that it is a "targeted" killing...gang related...but who is to say that it is not the same if it happens there? Many many people travel to Mexico and thoroughly enjoy what it has to offer....and others go there and/or move there but are and/or get involved in the drug trade on many levels. In Mexico if you do get involved in the "trade", your life is bound to be cut short, not a whole lot different than it is getting here. People seem to think they can get away with it there, but it catches up.
I lived there for 9 years....and yes, there were murders of drug people killing drug people....but what goes on here on a daily basis is far more scarey because it is not just drug related....We were safe and very happy there and there was little, if any, of the daily crime we see here...keep your nose clean and stay out of the trade and you will be just fine. No different than here any more, in all reality. The drug cartels are ruthless...I don't care if it is here or there or any where else in the world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

the_zipper wrote:I vacation in this area every year! It is beautiful and quite safe. There are murders that happen right here in Kelowna. I would have to say I feel safer there than I do here. It has been rumoured that this guy was into some questionable things. Let just say you don't get tied to a tree and murdered for just swimming on the beach!

My wife and I went 1.5 years ago and had a blast. Our closest friends went last month. You people are all paranoid. You're more likely to get robbed and raped here than murdered there.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Phoenix Within wrote:How many Canadians have made the news from those places?

It's shock journalism. It's like dog attacks. More attacks happens by other breeds, but if it is a pitbull... it makes the front page.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Go to Cuba! We liked more than Mexico and felt it was safer (so does the Canadaian Government)
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Has anyone heard from Nibs? These sorts of threads/posts always make me fret a bit when he's down south. I've never been so can't offer any experience.
I haven't failed until I quit.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Yup...he is in Mazatlan, totally enjoying Carnaval!!!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

juz516 wrote:Yup...he is in Mazatlan, totally enjoying Carnaval!!!

Thank you, It also get's my mind going also..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Social Concerns”