Are you rich? What does it mean to be rich?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Are you rich? What does it mean to be rich?

Post by kibbs »

wish I could buy me some loved ones

Lonely?I thought you had a Dog?I've shared my life loved hard and lost big ,It seems like others ,other than your kids are poor emotional investments.Love yourself.When the boys are gone ,I will love light and lose less .I will never give up my freedom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJufqAevEQY
Peace be with you.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Very good question? No I don't think we are rich, but......

We don't owe anyone anything, have a home in Arizona also, are healthy 60 year olds that play golf 12 months a year, so I guess we are blessed, not rich in $$$ but rich in health & friends.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I forgot the link to that 'Free the slaves' website about Nepal and the tens of thousands
of 'slaves' who are trafficked into India.
https://www.freetheslaves.net/SSLPage.aspx?pid=677

I heard that one third of El Salvador's economy comes from people who work in another richer
country, and send money home. When people from a poor country go to work in a rich country,
they take the lowest jobs, the jobs no one else wants to do, for the lowest pay - similar to slavery.

So Polish go to work in Britain - and take the jobs no one else wants.
Mexicans come to America, and take the jobs no one else wants.
People from Nepal go to India and take the jobs no one else wants.
And people from India go to Arabia and take the jobs no one else wants.

I heard the rich Arabs of Dubai, one of the richest places on earth, treated their Phillipino and Indian workers like dogs.
I just watched a video recently on Culture Unplugged, where African farm workers work illegally in Spain,
and they are treated like dogs. That's how it is everywhere in the world - the poor are treated like dogs.
Are they smiling? Nope. No slave ever smiles, just because he's surrounded by loved ones. And especially
not slaves from the third world.

In Canada like everywhere else, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer and the middle
class are getting squeazed - bad. This is causing a lot of people not to smile anymore. In Canada it's a fact
that the poor suffer more health problems than the rich - from eating less nutritious cheap food. Kraft Dinner
has no nutrition. But at least no one starves like in third world countries. It's hard to smile when you starve.

Money = happiness. If we could teach people to save their money right from when they are young we
would have a lot more happier people.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011 ... -charities

El Ejido, the Law of Profit

The Law of Profit says no one smiles when they work like a slave.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was just thinking that letting food go bad in the fridge makes a person feel rich.

Look!
I bought it.
Brought it home.
Stocked the fridge.
And

LET IT DIE a slow death in my GE.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Thinktank, there is a big distinction between the lowland cities in Nepal and the remote mountain villages. About as large a distinction as between Port Clements and downtown Vancouver. The trade off is what I was trying show, and your mention of an issue which relates primarily to the higher population and more developed areas reinforces the dark side of material gain. With the roads and electricity etc. come a lot of other things. Some good (like medical care), some not so good, and some downright ugly. My understanding is that a similar story unfolds in Amazonia.

The dilemma is trying to catch that smiling village "state" while having the grab bag (plus and minus) that comes with modernity. If I had the answer to that one...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

hobbyguy wrote:The dilemma is trying to catch that smiling village "state" while having the grab bag (plus and minus) that comes with modernity.

You, sir, are a philosopher.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I am rich beyond my wildest imagination..... A loving wife , two kids , a good job , a warm house with lots of food...

oh , and some God... a bank account ,..etc ,etc....

What more do you need ? I'm truley happy.

How many can say that ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I am rich beyond my wildest imagination..... A loving wife , two kids , a good job , a warm house with lots of food...

oh , and some God... a bank account ,..etc ,etc....

What more do you need ? I'm truley happy.

How many can say that

your livin the dream.stay healthy .they say you have nothing without your health.
Peace be with you.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Graham Adder wrote:
wish I could buy me some loved ones

You can always rent some by the hour. :D

To me, being rich is being content and healthy.
Being wealthy is being able to do with your time as you want.
They both have little to do with money.
Money is a neccesary means of survival in a modern world, but its not the end all.

You can work your azz off all your life so you can go hang out at the beach, or you can just go hang out at the beach.
Its all a matter of perspective.

Love the one you're with.
Enjoy every day.
The only real depreciating asset any of you have is time.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I want to re-elect Babbitman as Philisopher.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Babbitman wrote:The only real depreciating asset any of you have is time.

And a few body parts......
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Social Concerns”