Unfinished stories in the news

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Unfinished stories in the news

Post by Glacier »

It's a bit of pet peeve of mine when a story hits the news, but they never tell you the ending. It's like a movie where they don't tie off the loose ends. It is almost as annoying as an alien invasion movie where the general public never finds out what happened.

I'm talking about real news stories here that tell us something might happen, and then fail to inform us one way or the other if they actually happened. Why report speculative news if you aren't going to tell us what happens?

EG #1: The Cow-Elk Story...
http://www.cbc.ca/daybreaksouth/2013/06 ... offspring/
http://www.cbc.ca/kamloops/mt/2013/06/1 ... ile-ranch/

Did the cow give birth? Was it a regular calf?

EG #2: Victoria might break the record for sunniest month ever.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... ecord.html

Did it happened?

EG #3: The strange sound in Terrace story. The city stated they were going to try and reproduce the sound, but we never heard the result. In all likelihood the grader was the source of the sound, but if they are state they were going to try to reproduce the sound, they should at least tell us how it went.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Unfinished stories in the news

Post by grammafreddy »

Agreed. I like to hear how things turned out, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

For the longest time, I had an idea for a similar type website - just so people can follow up on stories and be informed on the outcome of them. The reality is the media really likes to hype things up and shock us with news, but followups are usually boring and just informative.

For example, remember the story about a girl getting gang raped at a rave party in Lower Mainland? Well, it took me a while to find out the only person charged with sexual assault had his charges dropped due to lack of evidence - from the sounds of it the girl basically made the whole rape thing up, and the only person who was prosecuted was fella who posted pictures on Facebook - and he only did community service.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Captain Awesome wrote:For the longest time, I had an idea for a similar type website - just so people can follow up on stories and be informed on the outcome of them. The reality is the media really likes to hype things up and shock us with news, but followups are usually boring and just informative.

For example, remember the story about a girl getting gang raped at a rave party in Lower Mainland? Well, it took me a while to find out the only person charged with sexual assault had his charges dropped due to lack of evidence - from the sounds of it the girl basically made the whole rape thing up, and the only person who was prosecuted was fella who posted pictures on Facebook - and he only did community service.

Good idea CA. It would like Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story".
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

oneh2obabe wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-bull-elk-finds-cow-in-heat-x-rated-movie-ensues/article4621028/

That is the original story from 2012. I'm looking for the post June 2013 story.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I agree, I can't find anything about recreating the sound in Terrace. It made news around the world as did the statement they were going to try to recreate it. I find it hard to believe that no one has posted any info anywhere on whether they even tried or not. Strange.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

What ever happened to the story about vigilante group Anonymous finding Amanda Todd's tormentor? Did they find the right guy, and was he charged or arrested?
- Douglas Murray
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Glacier wrote:What ever happened to the story about vigilante group Anonymous finding Amanda Todd's tormentor? Did they find the right guy, and was he charged or arrested?

Or any of the hundreds of other stories that get dropped like this. Like the one on Michael Dunahee, after all the hype when the guys surfaced that looked nearly identical to the computer generated image it was everywhere, yet I just happened to catch a snippet somewhere when the DNA test came back negative.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Wookey

Post by Wookey »

zzontar wrote:I agree, I can't find anything about recreating the sound in Terrace. It made news around the world as did the statement they were going to try to recreate it. I find it hard to believe that no one has posted any info anywhere on whether they even tried or not. Strange.

They did not try to re-create due to lack of time and money. City of Terrace is just so full of it and wont try since it was not a grader that created the sounds. I have emailed, called, tweeted, Facebooked and still have no response from them. They literally refuse to answer any of my questions. Like were they straightening a grader blade on June 19th 2013 at 9am as well? Was it a grader at 3am on August 29th too? How far do they feel would the sound travel? People as far as 11km outside of town heard these sounds. I am personally disgusted with our local city officials.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Glacier wrote:EG #2: Victoria might break the record for sunniest month ever.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... ecord.html

Did it happened?

Found it: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... y-1.567960

What the article doesn't say is that this was the sunniest month ever record in Southern Canada (south of 60N). The old record was from Gonzales Heights in Victoria when, in 1958, they recorded 424.6 hours of sunshine.

July 2013 in Victoria has officially entered the record books as the sunniest July on record, with 432.8 hours of sunshine, leaving the old mark of 421.5 hours from 1985 in the summer dust.

The normal sunshine total for the month is 321.1 hours.

Environment Canada meteorologist Doug Lundquist said this past July also joined July 1958, August 1986 and September 1991 as precipitation-free months in the region’s charted weather history. Measurable precipitation was last recorded at Victoria airport on June 27.
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Have you got any old records for Kelowna going back to about 1920? My mom was born in 1913 and she used to say that it didn't rain from June right through to September when she was a kid.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

grammafreddy wrote:Have you got any old records for Kelowna going back to about 1920? My mom was born in 1913 and she used to say that it didn't rain from June right through to September when she was a kid.

No place in BC has ever gone all summer without rain, but the dirty 30s were very dry with many places getting almost nothing all summer. For example, Oliver only recorded 7.5 mm all summer in 1932. This is the 4th driest reading ever recorded anywhere in the provincial. The driest was 3.0 mm in 1951 (recorded in Cameron Lake on Vancouver Island), the 2nd driest was in 1934 (3.8 mm in Greenwood), and the 3rd driest was in 1940 (5.1 mm in Lytton).

3 of the 4 driest summers on record in Kelowna took place in the 1930s, but the driest of all was in 2003:
1) 27.2 mm (2003)
2) 29.4 mm (1934)
3) 32.0 mm (1933)
4) 33.7 mm (1930)
- Douglas Murray
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

About 6 years ago, Castanet reported a story of a young man who drove intoxicated at 7 a.m. from Salmon Arm to almost all the way to Kamloops on the wrong side of the Trans-Canada before hitting a semi head on. All the story said was the young driver was in "critical" condition. I checked the news for over a month to find an update to the story, but it had vanished into the ether. I always hoped the young guy lived, but had no way to find out. Really annoying. Start a story, then give it a proper ending, not leave us hanging with no ending.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dave_1963 wrote:About 6 years ago, Castanet reported a story of a young man who drove intoxicated at 7 a.m. from Salmon Arm to almost all the way to Kamloops on the wrong side of the Trans-Canada before hitting a semi head on. All the story said was the young driver was in "critical" condition. I checked the news for over a month to find an update to the story, but it had vanished into the ether. I always hoped the young guy lived, but had no way to find out. Really annoying. Start a story, then give it a proper ending, not leave us hanging with no ending.

He may have died and the family wanted it kept private. The media often follows the families wishes in a case like this.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Social Concerns”