Grammar cups

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Grammar cups

Post by Bpeep »

Donald G wrote:To go back to rightin wright is gunna bee hard.

Me can right good.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Having read all these pages, I am surprised that no one has remarked on the lack of adverbs in today's speech. I cringe nightly at the television and radio news announcers and commentators.

"The hockey team trounced their opposition quick." Weather persons announcing "The snow will fall heavy" instead of "heavily" or perhaps even "The snowfall will be heavy" more correctly expressed. When I was taking English in school there was a part of speech known as an adverb and for the most part this was a descriptor for a verb action. ie. ran quickly, sat silently, smiled widely and brightly, etc.

I find myself wondering where today's journalists are being trained as there are so few that speak the King's English. Is this a lack of education in the schools now or is this a result of slang or...is this the result of so many English Second Language schools that do not perhaps take the time to explain the difference between adjectives and adverbs.

Irregular verbs also have different conjugations ....I sweep, I have swept, I swept it up Today the Global Vancouver weather person announce that the cloud/weather sweeped through.
People have not "drinked" something.

I'm sorry, but if you didn't notice before you will probably curse me now as you listen to those that speak English. I find it coarse and abrupt sounding and it is a BIG personal pet peeve
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I agree with you, Watchkat. I can see our language being decimated down to just speaking and writing in shortcut with numbers replacing some letters and just abbreviations for whole words - like what are being texted now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I think conjugations happen in churches and conjunctions are what are used to hook train cars together. Side from that they din't learn me much speechafying.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Donald G wrote:I think conjugations happen in churches and conjunctions are what are used to hook train cars together. Side from that they din't learn me much speechafying.

You were sleeping in church also, it would appear. LOL
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bman ...

... me ... me ... me ... It's all about "me". Why do I say me when I mean you?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

*off topic remark removed*/ferri
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Oh, how I love, love LOVE this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

If someone could fix it so that it plays in the post, that would be lovely.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Social Concerns”