I can't stop laughing: the rich keep getting richer

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

I can't stop laughing: the rich keep getting richer

Post by Thinktank »

The Thomson and Weston families have seen double-digit growth in their net worth since last year, according to an annual ranking of Canada's wealthiest people.

Canadian Business magazine estimates the Thomson family's net worth has grown to 26.1 billion, up 30 per cent from $20.1 billion last year.

And just below the story of rich getting richer - Philippines hit by typhoon.
Does anyone else find that as funny as I do?

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: I can't stop laughing about it the RICH keep getting RI

Post by Dizzy1 »

So the rich are responsible for natural disasters?

Seeing that you were reading a Business publication, does it really surprise you that there is an article on the wealthy followed by significant world news?

I guess your gripe will be that people with money should have all their money taken away from their and be forbidden to become even richer because there are natural disasters, plaques, and war all over the world so it must be their fault for accquiring such wealth at the cost of everyone else.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Natural disasters are a fact of life and have been happening since the dawn of this planet. The wealthy have always gotten wealthier since the dawn of man. The one thing that has changed is that in todays world, more and more people have the chance of becoming wealthy if they actually strive and work for it ... there are more oppurtunities today than ever. But the people who just sit back and do nothing and blame the rich for the worlds problems don't change.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank didn't provide a link so who knows what site he's looking at.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list-an ... nada-2014/

Who's to say these rich people don't provide charities and worthy causes buckets of money to help out.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

So, thinktank, you can mimic their strategy by investing in their companies (the chief basis for their wealth determination), achieve the same double digit growth, and then give it away to the folks in the Philippines or any other group that you wish.

The Weston foundation has given away over $200,000,000 in the last decade and Thomson's have given away hundreds of millions in the same period.

Do you find that funny also?
Last edited by LANDM on Nov 21st, 2013, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Strange sense of humour you have there thinktank.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The humour is lost on me - another country hit by a natural disaster isn't funny.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm thinking he didn't mean it in the Ha Ha sense.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Fancy wrote:The humour is lost on me - another country hit by a natural disaster isn't funny.

Hey, you can't spell "manslaughter" without laughter.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bsuds wrote:I'm thinking he didn't mean it in the Ha Ha sense.

I'm thinking he didn't post a link for a reason.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#103158

lol,

The Arkansas-based retail giant [Walmart] is the world’s biggest private sector employer and no other firm so starkly epitomises the staggering income disparity that defines the US economy. With more than $145bn between them, the four members of the Walton family who control the Walmart fortune are each among the 12 richest people on Earth. Their combined wealth is greater than that of the entire bottom 40 per cent of Americans.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 52700.html

Two questions:

1) How does that make you feel?
2) How do you suppose that the owners of this business became so rich while those that work for them (and generate their profit) do not?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I see where the link came from:

Caption to the picture reads: "Red Cross opens hospital in Philippines"

The Canadian Red Cross says its emergency field hospital in the Philippines is finally open for business.

The facility is located in front of a damaged local hospital in the city of Ormoc, on the west coast of the island of Leyte.

The hospital was flooded by the typhoon and its roof was destroyed.

The Canadian facility is helping with surgery, medicine, maternal and child care and outpatient services.

Canadian Red Cross CEO Conrad Sauve says the hospital expects to handle 10 to 15 natural births and five or six caesareans every day as well as up to 300 outpatients.

The facility opens as Canadian military aid efforts continue on the island of Panay, farther to the west.

A lot of people donate to the Red Cross. Good for our Canadian Red Cross.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-103158-4-.htm#103158

lol,

The Arkansas-based retail giant [Walmart] is the world’s biggest private sector employer and no other firm so starkly epitomises the staggering income disparity that defines the US economy. With more than $145bn between them, the four members of the Walton family who control the Walmart fortune are each among the 12 richest people on Earth. Their combined wealth is greater than that of the entire bottom 40 per cent of Americans.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 52700.html

Two questions:

1) How does that make you feel?
2) How do you suppose that the owners of this business became so rich while those that work for them (and generate their profit) do not?

And to think that they started off with an idea and one store - amazing what one can accomplish when you set yourself out to do it.

"See a need? Fill a need" - Bigweld "Robots".
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Nov 21st, 2013, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Same with WalMart ...

Giving people access to a better life. One community at a time.

It’s our mission to create opportunities so people can live better. We consider it our responsibility to make a positive impact in the communities we serve. Whether it’s through the grants we provide to the thousands of organizations that share our mission or through the inspiring volunteer efforts of Walmart associates, we are passionate about helping people live better. One community at a time.

In 2012, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $1 billion in cash and in-kind contributions around the world. This includes $1 billion in cash and in-kind gifts in the United States and $82.2 million in cash and in-kind gifts in international markets. In addition, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Logistics associates volunteered more than 2.2 million hours, generating $18 million to U.S. nonprofits.

Recent News

Nov 14, 2013 Walmart Commits $1 Million in Response to Typhoon Haiyan
Nov 11, 2013 Walmart Salutes Veterans and Military Families with 20,000 Jobs and a Helping Hand for the Holidays
Oct 24, 2013 Walmart Foundation Provides $2.5 Million to Share Our Strength to Increase the Availability of Nutrition Education Programs for Families
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Social Concerns”