Political Correctness Gone too Far

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Political Correctness Gone too Far

Postby Glacier » Dec 17th, 2013, 5:30 pm

I've been thinking about this "don't say 'Merry Christmas' nonsense" lately, and it seems to me that it's an American problem more than it is in other countries. I also suspect that the people who are most offended, and thus to biggest cry babies, are liberal Christians who are ultra-sensitive about offending anyone.

The first time I was exposed to such nonsense was when my wife worked down in the States, and she had to be careful not to play any "offensive" Christmas songs in the story where she worked. This is really strange to me because in Scandinavian countries that are pretty much atheist nations now, no one complains about playing Christian Christmas carols. This partly because most Swedes are cultural Christians, who enjoy Christian traditions despite also being atheists.

In the States, the attitude is quite different where people seem so ashamed of their cultural inheritance. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but it could possibly be that this is a difference between the a "melting pot" and a "multicultural" society. In a multicultural society like Canada and most of Europe these days, we celebrate everyone's traditions, while in the U.S. everyone combines their cultures into a single culture, and thus liberals are offended that their own cultural inheritance might dominate someone else's culture.

I'm thinking here on the fly, and I'm now questioning my first hypothesis of "melting pot" vs "multiculture." Perhaps it stems from the fact that America never had a state religion like Europeans nations do, and thus Christmas is seen as more cultural in post-Christian Europe while it is seen as more religious in an almost post-Christian America.

And today we have yet another politically correct scenario gone too far down south. Schools slams door on Santa

Christmas in Connecticut feels a little less Christmas-y in one high school after a teacher told students they could not decorate the classroom door with Santa Claus or Christmas trees.

“This is political correctness run amuck,” an outraged mom told me.

Her child attends Fairfield Ludlowe High School. The entire school is involved in a door decorating contest.

Students in her child’s class tossed out some ideas for a Christmas-themed door. One student suggested a Christmas tree and another student suggested a Santa Claus-inspired fireplace design. But both were rejected.

“She [the teacher] said no reference to Christmas at all can be on the decorations on the door,” the parent said. “My son was in disbelief and asked, ‘why can’t we decorate for Christmas?’”

That’s a great question. So I called Greg Hatzis, the headmaster at the public school.

He cited off a district-wide religion policy that states: “It is the policy of the Board of Education that no religious belief or non-belief will be promoted by the district or its employees and none will be disparaged.”
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

KiloHotel likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12745 posts

Re: Political Correctness Gone too Far

Postby JLives » Dec 17th, 2013, 6:20 pm

The American media isn't happy unless they have some false outrage brewing. My American friends tell me it's a non-issue in the real world.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

underscore likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6549 posts

Postby FreeRights » Dec 18th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I know that partly to blame is the people, who are always outraged if a vendor (corporation, etc) takes a stance that isn't the same, or is opposite, of their own. So there are quite a few people who do get "outraged" if a corporation celebrates one religious/cultural event, and not another.

It puts these corporations into situations that they don't want to offend any clientele. I understand this, and as such, I can't blame the corporations for doing this.

Especially in the US, public centres (schools, etc) can't sponsor a religion, so unless they celebrated every religion's holiday, they shouldn't celebrate any of them.

I think it really comes down to the people. Not everyone is like you, and you shouldn't be outraged when someone celebrates a different holiday than you.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2031 posts

Postby grammafreddy » Dec 18th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Santa as we know him isn't a religious symbol for North American Christian Christmas. He was/is the marketing tool for Coca Cola at Christmas.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/holiday ... anta-claus
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

WendyA777 likes this post.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 796 posts

Postby FreeRights » Dec 18th, 2013, 4:13 pm

....But based on a religious symbol. And a movie, apparently.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

WendyA777 likes this post.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2031 posts

Postby Atomoa » Dec 18th, 2013, 4:22 pm

grammafreddy wrote:Santa as we know him isn't a religious symbol for North American Christian Christmas. He was/is the marketing tool for Coca Cola at Christmas.

The icon of Christmas, is a marketing tool.

That tells you all you need to know.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Liked in: 2683 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 19th, 2013, 10:03 am

Is it PC gone overboard? Absolutley. Is it suprising? Not in the least.

Last time I checked, we've been celebrating Christmas with those icons for the last 100+ years, its pretty much part of our heritage, culture, call it whatever you want. We are supposed to be living in a multi-cultural society, but for some reason, it seems our culture isn't approved for this multi-cultural society. If you want people to start learning to tolerate other cultures, religions, etc. we must first learn to accept that people have different cultures and religions. The task is to decorate the door, so why can't there be a Santa Claus or Christmas Tree on it? Why can't there be a Buddha or Ishvaras on it? How is one expected to tolerate others religions/cultures if we aren't allowed to express it?

And the people who have a problem with other cultures and get "offended" by it, they're more than welcome to take the boat back to where they came from ... if one lives here, one lives in a multi-cultural society and it comes with tolerance on everyones side.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

KiloHotel likes this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5136 posts

Postby two_shoes1mit » Dec 23rd, 2013, 7:55 am

I like some of the ideas on this post. I hear much conversation on this subject lately,
mostly concerning the workplace. Must say the correct greeting, don't offend anyone,
lets make this as generic as we can.

I am really tired of all this political correctness, whether it be Christmas, gay rights, or
racial intolerance. Somehow the whole idea of multiculturalism has gone sideways
in too.

I have been called politically incorrect on many issues, and that's ok with me; because
I refused to jump into the melting pot. Next time your at the mall during the Christmas
season, grab a seat at the nearest bench, slow down, look around and listen. Why all
the stress, anger, this isn't your birthday your celebrating. What are your individual roots
in Christmas traditions? Why not just celebrate that, we are all coming from different places,
lets just be a little more tolerant of each other.

Why are gay rights shoved in our faces at every turn. Its basically all about sexual preference -
I don't choose to discuss my preference and detail and I don't appreciate hearing about yours.
I'm not playing for the other team, but I can accept that people make choices
that are different than mine. Live and let live, enough already.

Then there is racial intolerance; how absurd is that statement in this day and age in a
multicultural society. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we are not permitted
to openly celebrate our own culture. Maybe there is just too much noise of one or two
cultures dominating the media. I am full up with the small special interest groups dominating.

Lets just mind our own business, celebrate our individuality, cultures, and heritage. One is not
better than the other, lets try accepting our differences and see if it makes a difference.
two_shoes1mit
Fledgling

Liked in: 192 posts

Postby LANDM » Dec 23rd, 2013, 8:16 am

A fascinating thing that I noticed this year is that *every* person whom I know, and who I am certain are from other religions, have said "Merry Christmas" to me. None have said the neutral greeting or have ignored the reason for the season and said nothing.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4438 posts

Postby mexi cali » Dec 23rd, 2013, 6:04 pm

It's Merry Christmas all the live long day.

And if the government wants to remove religion from the classroom and basically the rest of the country then they should not be allowed to claim Christmas day or Easter as holidays. Those days should only be made available to those of us who believe in Santa.

Merry Christmas to all y'all.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

LTD likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4500 posts

Postby Glacier » Sep 16th, 2014, 11:41 am

The more I read this story, the more appalled I feel.

Women were raped repeatedly for years while the police turned a blind eye all in the name of political correctness. Even now that it's in the news, they are still being all politically correct. You cannot find a single reference to "rape jihad," "Pakistani," or even just "sexual assault" in this news story. Even the title makes me sick. Children exploited and child abuse? The media typically hypes the news, but here they pick words that don't even begin the describe what happened here. This was years of Islamic rape jihad against white British women and girls by men mostly from Pakistan, but all the article does is describe the "abusers as 'Asian' men."

Political correct got us into this mess, and it sure as heck ain't going to get us out of it. One thing is for sure, it sure makes the "Merry Christmas" issue seem like child's play.

the truth likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Glacier » Aug 16th, 2018, 2:14 pm

pcgonetoofar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Perhaps a bit off topic but it drives me to distraction when posts make references to a vagina - as if they could see it!!!

No, you CANNOT see a woman's vagina from looking at a naked woman. It is an internal structure:

va·gi·na
vəˈjīnə/Submit
noun
the muscular tube leading from the external genitals to the cervix of the uterus in women and most female mammals.

Might I suggest a more appropriate term to use in viewing a naked woman is 'Pudendum":

pu·den·dum
pyo͞oˈdendəm/Submit
noun
a person's external genitals, especially a woman's.
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.

Glacier likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6904 posts

Postby sobrohusfat » Aug 16th, 2018, 7:39 pm

IMG_1553.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAY THE BRIDGES I BURN LIGHT THE WAY
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2340 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 16th, 2018, 7:50 pm

No, it's not. Vaginal mucous membranes DO not secrete saliva.

Self-education is important.

Despite that, I did laugh at your meme.
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6904 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns