Feel-good stories

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Feel-good stories

Post by oneh2obabe »

KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- The Trader Joe's store in Kalamazoo donated thousands of pounds of food to a local shelter after their refrigeration system went down Wednesday morning.

People who work at Kalamazoo Gospel Mission say the 35,000 pounds of food from the store is the largest donation they've ever seen. The ministry says it will make a huge difference, not only with more meals, but uplifting the spirits of the people they serve.

"They called us and we were able to mobilize a team within an hour that consisted of staff and volunteers," said Greg Weaver, Director of Food Service at the mission.

Trader Joe's Store Captain Daniel Sorscher says its the company's policy to do so, and also says they donate food daily to local shelters to help clear their shelves.

Complete article w/video
http://fox17online.com/2018/01/04/kalam ... lfunction/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Rescuers Spotted A Sea Turtle From Up In the Air And Landed A Plane To Save Him.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

A nice post. Thanks.

There is an island, somewhere near Malaysia, where hunters would go to harvest turtle eggs as they were being laid. They would gather ALL the eggs and by way of thanks, turn the poor animal upside down to let her die of dehydration.

Now there are no turtles and no eggs there anymore. :-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Orphaned baby cougar finds temporary home in conservation officer's garage.

'My wife really thinks it's quite special,' says Ron LeBlanc.

baby-cougar.jpg

A baby cougar is currently living in a B.C. conservation officer's garage after it was found starving and frostbitten earlier this week under the deck of a home near Williams Lake, B.C.

The two-month-old cougar kitten will be moved to the Greater Vancouver Zoo on Monday.

Residents who were aware of the kitten called B.C. Conservation Officer Services on Sunday to report it and officers paid the cat a visit the next day. Sure enough, they found a young cougar hiding under the deck, beneath some chairs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4493800

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

“When you’re homeless,” Andy says, “it can be a pretty unforgiving world.”
Bailey helped show Andy that his life was worth living.

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

B.C. man digs out moose trapped upside down in roadside snowbank.

VANDERHOOF, B.C. -- A logging truck driver in British Columbia was taken by surprise when he saw four legs sticking out of the snow off the side of a road.

Wayne Rowley, 54, said he was driving down a forest service road near Vanderhoof last Thursday when what appeared to be a set of moose's legs in the snow caught his eye.

He pulled over to find a calf buried upside down in the snow and at first, Rowley said he thought it was dead.

Video and balance of article
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-man-d ... -1.3804174

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Wayne Rowley, a human BEING being a humane BEING.

Hats off to you, sir! :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

BBJ5GxG.jpg

Trenton Lewis' legs ached from the 11-mile walk he made every morning to get to his 4 a.m. shift. And yet the 21-year-old dutifully did it for seven long months.

He didn't tell anyone. He's never been one for excuses -- especially when it comes to providing for his 14-month-old daughter, Karmen.

"My pride is strong," he told CNN. "Whatever she needs, I'm the person who is supposed to provide it for her."

Balance of article
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a- ... spartandhp

Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

Strangers step up to finish bucket list for mom with terminal cancer

With the help of complete strangers, one U.K. mom with terminal cancer is finally seeing some of her dreams come true.

Over the weekend, Gillan Harper posted a plea on his Facebook page asking people to help finish off his wife Kerryann Harper’s bucket list. The list includes everything from skydiving to riding a bike at Central Park to seeing Britney Spears live in Las Vegas.

https://trib.al/TK7juDV
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

When little Ireland heard the sound of her parents’ voices for the first time, she did what most babies do. She cried.

And so did everyone else.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/te ... -1.3822155
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Employees of a German company donated almost 3,300 hours in overtime so a colleague could look after his son with leukaemia, local media report.

Single dad Andreas Graff has taken almost a year off being an assembly worker at a design company in Hesse.

After four-year-old son Julius's cancer diagnosis, more than 700 colleagues responded to a manager's appeal.

"Without this great support, I would be unemployed," Mr Graff told local paper, Oberhessische Presse.

Full article
www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42974175

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Stranded at the airport in Phoenix on March 17, Rubin Swift wondered how he’d get through the next three days, sleeping on the floor with his 4-day-old daughter, Andrea. It seemed to be his only option when Frontier Airlines informed him that he couldn’t fly with the baby until he produced a birth certificate.

“I was out of money and the hospital told me that I wouldn’t be able to get a birth certificate for seven days, Rubin, 43, of Cleveland, Ohio, tells PEOPLE. “I was worried that if security saw me sleeping at the airport with a newborn, they’d take her away from me and charge me with neglect. I was stuck.”

Rubin, who had flown to Phoenix to pick up the baby who was born by a surrogate for him and his wife, Tiffany, 32, suddenly thought of the friendly Banner University Medical Center volunteer who had offered to drive him to the airport that day and had given him her phone number. He’d met Joy Ringhofer, 78, in the newborn intensive care unit, where Andrea had been placed for several days as a precautionary measure.

When Rubin told Joy about his dilemma, she immediately offered to return to the airport to pick him up.

“I told him, ‘I’m going to take you home with me,’ ” she tells PEOPLE, “so wait right there.”

Pictures and balance of article
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/da ... spartandhp

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -s-hearing

That is a nice thing for them to do but if she went to Costco for her hearing aides she would get them pretty much paid for for that $2500.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

This mini dwarf pony was born barely able to walk, and she had to be carried everywhere and kept inside all the time so that she wouldn't hurt herself. Today on Comeback Kids: Animal Edition, watch how Pumpkin's family went above and beyond to give her new legs — and a new lease on life. Just WAIT until you see her adorable little gallop.

Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#228109

Duck Rescue....

You just got my business.... well done!

Return to “Social Concerns”