Feel-good stories

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: Feel-good stories

Post by sobrohusfat »

Every Day She Said ‘Hello’ To This Homeless Man. But One Day He Handed Her A Piece Of Paper…

His name is Ramundo Arruda Sobrinho and for 35 years, this 77-year-old homeless man spent his days doing his passion: writing poetry and short stories.

But his work remained completely invisible to the world until one day in 2011, he befriended a woman named Shalla.
The video below is a critically acclaimed documentary called “The Conditioned” and it tells the incredibly story of Ramundo’s life and how it changed after giving Shalla one of his poems.

Shalla was so touched by Ramundo’s poetry that she started a Facebook page to share his work with the world. What happened next is nothing short of a miracle.

The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Air Canada pilot diverts international flight to save dog

An Air Canada pilot is being credited with saving a dog’s life by diverting a flight from Tel Aviv to Toronto after a heating system malfunction in the plane’s cargo area.

The seven-year-old French bulldog named Simba was taking its first flight when the pilot noticed the problem just as the plane was about to head over the Atlantic Ocean, where temperatures plummet.

With the dog’s well-being in peril the pilot decided to land the plane in Frankfurt, Germany.

Simba was placed on another flight and the plane continued on to Toronto.

The dog’s owner was more than grateful.

“It’s my dog, it’s like my child. It’s everything to me,” he said after they were reunited at Pearson Airport.

Aviation expert Phyl Durby said the pilot made the right call, despite tacking on about $10,000 in fuel costs and delaying the flight by 75 minutes.

“If you look at the outside temperature, if it’s minus 50 or 60, there is some insulation but it will probably still get down to below freezing (in the cargo area),” Durby said.

“The captain is responsible for all lives on board, whether it’s human or K-9.”

Video
http://www.citynews.ca/2015/09/14/air-c ... -save-dog/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Symbio Wildlife Park is raising this koala joey named Imogen after a younger koala’s mother died of leukemia. They placed the younger, weaker koala with Imogen’s mother and decided to care for Imogen themselves in order to save both of them.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Heartwarming bond: Four-year-old idolizes neighbourhood mailman. The pair even have matching uniforms.

Some Tennessee residents are receiving their mail from a pint-sized delivery man.

Four-year-old Carter Lawson has an infatuation with delivering the post and idolizes his neighbourhood mailman, who he calls “Postman Mike,” according to WBIR-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Carter’s mom, Cassie, says her son has developed a genuinely special relationship with Mike since he first started on their route nine months ago.

“Anyone could just be like ‘Go away kid,’ but Mike has really gone out of his way to interact with Carter, and it’s been really cute,” she told the station.

So cute in fact, Mike and his sidekick now have matching uniforms.

WBIR-TV reports the relationship between the two began on hot days when Carter would bring Mike water and a snack to his truck. Mike took to returning the favour by bringing Carter candy and letters.

Now, Carter waits patiently outside, head spinning at the sound of every car that goes by, for Mike to come by so he can join him on some deliveries.

The pair reportedly only spend a short time together each day but it’s left a lasting impression on Carter who says he wants to be a mailman when he grows up.

As for Mike, “He’s the end of my day and the best part of my day,” he told the station, “Not just because it’s the end, because he’s such a cute little guy.”

WBIR-TV reports Carter and his mom are planning a trip to the post office so they can see what Mike does when he’s not out on the street.

sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Infants that end up in the Natal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) fight the biggest uphill battle they will ever face. From the moment they enter this world, they are inundated with medication, isolation and procedures to try and sustain their fragile lives.

The fight goes on one day at a time, and the nurses of the NICU are on the front lines.

And Renee is a nurse at WellStar Kennestone Hospital in Marietta, Georgia that fights as hard as anyone.

Kleenex teamed up with a group of parents whose children wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for Renee. They gathered tributes from all over the country and brought Renee into the room to relive every triumph and happy heart she’s kept beating.

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Father of the bride stops wedding to share special moment with daughter’s stepdad
'Make it about your kids and not your ego'

Bride Brittany Peck and the rest of the wedding party were all left confused as Peck’s biological father, Todd Bachman, abruptly stopped the procession and walked towards her stepfather, Todd Cendrosky, according to WKYC.

Bachman then grabbed Cendrosky’s hand, and pulled him towards the front of the aisle to join him in walking their daughter.

“He came and grabbed my hand, and said: ‘You worked as hard as I have. You’ll help us walk our daughter down the aisle,” Cendrosky tells WKYC, “I got weak in the knees and lost it.”

The bride’s stepfather was overwhelmed with emotion as he walked down the aisle with Peck and Bachman.

“Families are what we make them… make it about your kids and not your ego,” shared Blackburn.

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

When Margie's husband had to move into a nursing home her backyard started getting overgrown. That's when Will stepped in. But the teen didn't just fix her yard, he showed her the kind of love that everyone deserves.

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Man with special needs comforted by stranger

A sweet photo taken in Hamilton, Ontario, has now gone viral capturing one man’s act of kindness towards a complete stranger in need.

A post from Only in Hamilton Facebook page shows Godfrey Cuotto, a 21-year-old student from McMaster University, holding hands with a special needs passenger, named Robert, on a local bus earlier this week.

Cuotto told radio station Kiss 92.5 he was heading home from a burrito place downtown with his friends when he entered a packed bus.

Robert, who was sitting near the front of the bus, instantly grabbed Cuotto’s hand and wouldn’t let go. At first, the 21-year-old thought he was being pranked but soon realized that Robert was overwhelmed by the crowded bus. Cuotto ended up staying with Robert until the very last stop.

Throughout the 30-minute bus ride, the man leaned on Cuotto, hugged him and even kissed his hands, according to the Huffington Post.

“I just allowed it, like, what I am going to do?” Cuotto told the Hufffington Post. “Sometimes you just have to be selfless and put someone else’s needs above yours.”

Robert’s family contacted Cuotto through Facebook and revealed that Robert suffers from cerebral palsy and is also deaf. They thanked Cuotto for comforting their uncle during the bus ride, reports the Huffington Post.

But behind Cuotto’s act of kindness is a great mother.

He told Kiss 92.5 he was “raised by a queen.”

V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I love the stories of young people putting aside their needs for someone else. Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing WaterBabe!
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Canceled California wedding leads to feast for homeless

SACRAMENTO, Calif – After a California couple called off their wedding, the bride-to-be's family decided to turn the $35,000 extravagant event into a feast for the homeless.

The bride's mother, Kari Duane, said Sunday that rather than cancel the reception, they invited Sacramento's homeless for a once in a lifetime meal Saturday at the Citizen Hotel, one of the city's finest venues.

Duane said her 27-year-old daughter called her Monday to tell her she and her fiance had decided not go through with the wedding. Soon after, the family decided to share the nonrefundable event with the less fortunate.

"Even though my husband and I were feeling very sad for our daughter, it was heartwarming to see so many people be there and enjoy a meal," Duane said.

She said they had already paid for a reception that would have hosted 120 guests. About 90 homeless single people, grandparents and whole families with newborns showed up and enjoyed a meal that included appetizers, salad, gnocchi, salmon, and even tri-tip. Some even dressed up for the occasion.

Erika Craycraft arrived with her husband and five children.

"To lose out on something so important to yourself and then give it to someone else is really giving, really kind," Craycraft told KCRA-TV.

Part of the wedding price tag includes a nonrefundable honeymoon, so on Sunday mother and daughter set off for Belize.

"I hope that when she looks back at this, she knows she was doing something good with a bad situation," Duane said.

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

One couple has dedicated their golden years to helping abused, neglected animals in need of a safe place.

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Cambridge skateboarder with a big heart sets off viral frenzy

A Cambridge skateboarder, whose show of kindness toward a six-year-old girl went viral and set off an online frenzy of friendliness, is still sitting back wondering what all the fuss is about.

Twenty-year-old Ryan Carney, an avid skateboarder, advocate and boarding coach, thought nothing of it when he approached a shy little girl standing at the edge of a new Cambridge skateboard park.

At the time he had no idea the girl, six-year-old Peyton, had been eager to try out her new skateboard for months and wanted to give it a go at Churchill Park during the Thanksgiving weekend.

Although she received words of encouragement from her mother, Jeanean Thomas, the sights and sounds of boisterous boarders proved intimidating. Her mother continued to assure her she belonged at the park every bit as much as the others.

Thomas bit her lip, deciding against using her “mom voice” to ask the “smoking and swearing” boys to mind their manners in front of her daughter.

She was soon surprised by a kind act shown by one of the youthful-looking boarders.

Although he had been engrossed in his own ride, Carney was quick to sense the little girl, board in hand, was unsure and offered some friendly advice.

“I could tell that she had no idea how to properly stand on the board,” he told the Times in an interview Wednesday (Oct. 21). “Right before she went, I went up to her and said, ‘Put your feet here and bend your knees – this is how you balance’.”

After spending 30 minutes teaching her some safe techniques to get her started, Carney rejoined his friends.

But he kept his eye on the newbee boarder.

“I went about my own business, but I paid attention to her when she showed some improvements and said, ‘Oh, good job.’”

Before she ended her first big foray into the world of boarding, the little girl thanked the boarder for his help.

Full article w/pictures
http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story ... al-frenzy/

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

High school students serve as pallbearers for homeless veterans without loved ones.

When three homeless veterans were laid to rest last week, their funerals were given dignity and respect from an unlikely source: high school students.

Five seniors and a junior from the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy in Detroit, Michigan served as the pallbearers for funerals of veterans who had not been claimed by loved ones.

"I was glad and truly honored to have experienced and served those veterans who sacrificed their lives for our country," one of the students, Joshua Gonzalez, said in a reflection. "Being their pallbearer was just a little something that I could do to repay them for what they did for all of us."

The idea for the program came from the students themselves during a discussion about how they could serve the community, the school said in a press release. Students traveled to Cleveland to learn about a similar program.

"The pallbearer program at U of D Jesuit says a lot about the school and the young men who attend there," said Terry Desmond, the director of the funeral home that arranged the burials. "Their service to the less fortunate honors the dignity of individuals who are mostly out-of-the-view of our society."

In reflections written about the experience, some of the students said they were not sure what to expect and were a little uneasy about participating, but they were all glad they did. The students all rode together to the funeral, carried the casket to the grave and prayed together afterward. The solemnity of the process made an impression on the students, they said.

"During the experience, I was inspired and filled with awe by witnessing the different, yet similar, funeral customs that each branch of the United States Armed Forces presented," Gonzalez explained.

Above all, the students said, it was important to do something for veterans who might not otherwise get a proper burial.

"Many people outlive their families or don't have any one to be with them at their funeral," said 12th-grader Leonard Froehlich. "We strongly felt that everyone deserved the dignity of having people present at their last moments."

http://abc13.com/1053846/

Return to “Social Concerns”