Mental Illness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Mental Illness

Post by flamingfingers »

Chill
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I've heard of partners for mental health. they have some good campaigns and recently had an ad on TV for awareness on teen suicide.

you can get things sent to you to raise awareness and collect pledges in your town.

they had a very cool campaign a while ago where you were able to share your story about harmful/ negative experiences that was about stigma and mental health issues. it was eye opening. so many had professionals, psychiatrists, medical doctors and others who had either disregarded them and their struggkes, made ignorant comments or didn't provide appropriate treatment.

I'm not sure about the political side of things. I was part of a group a few years ago trying to raise awareness and get the government on any level to acknowledge it or even care, and it didn't get anywhere. that was only directed at one area of mental health where local (and provincial) services lack. it was very discouraging.

there is patient voices network. it gives anyone an opportunity to engage at different levels with healthcare organizations and various providers on different topics and areas to help be a part of changing things. it also sometimes has things related to mental health. aside from that though, I'm not sure what other options there are to help create awareness and change. it seems like you have to know people with power to have anything heard.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I posted this a while ago. Dr. Latimer also wrote it about this very topic:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Mental-Hea ... -in-crisis
jerna7482

Post by jerna7482 »

Please know that I am taking all of these posts to heart. I hear these stories and wonder what can we do to make one on one therapists more accessible? I am not someone that had suicidal tendencies in the past and could always push through my days without any prescriptions. So when one of my favorite people did have more intense feelings it was hard for me to relate. I believed they could get through it...like I was. Because the world is a hard and cruel place sometimes. It wasn't until they actually ended their own life that I realized how messed up things could get in someones mind. I must say that the people you leave behind are forever changed and not in a good way. Suicide is a very selfish thing. I want to help with things that help keep everyone here. I don't care who you are! I want to make sure everyone feels good enough about themselves to stay and live this life we've been given.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

It isn't really 'just' that therapists need to be accessible. It is how the system is, the gaps, the lack of services, the lack of education on the part of many who are in the profession including medical doctors on how to interact appropriately and assess people. The whole system is failing people from lack of appropriate treatment to those with eating disorders to those who have PTSD, and anxiety/panic, etc. There are not enough resources period.

Most people are sent to a psychiatrist for medication. For a lot, the medications can cause negative side effects and even risk people's physical health or add to their mental health issues unless they are one of the lucky ones who has a positive effect from them. Most are also referred to group therapy. Some of the groups might only last a few weeks. Some might get some sessions with a psychologist and other team members depending on their situation, but psychologists are not free for anyone to see generally, only psychiatrists are. Psychologists work more with the behavioral side of things while many psychiatrists just prescribe medications.

When a person seeks help in general, it would be so helpful to be met by a non threatening, non judgment professional/person. So many that I met over the years were ignorant, arrogant, and condescending, psychiatrists who diagnosed me in less than one hour and prescribed medications, case workers who told me I just didn't want to get better after I used all the available resources when I tried to voice that they were not enough (granted, I did understand their own frustrations with the system), and several other encounters that were not helpful.

As for my experience with the ER, on one particular visit when I was struggling and told them what was going on, they did not even write down correctly what I said or how the situation truly was for me and changed the wording to suit them which made me come across as a person I am/was not.

On another visit to the ER when I really was feeling unsafe (I also was struggling with an eating disorder), I was told my weight wasn't 'as bad' as others who had an eating disorder and that many people self-harm and get depressed. I was also told to keep seeing my psychiatrist and take my meds (I wasn't on meds since I don't tolerate what they give most people). I was really confused at being treated like that and didn't as a result didn't try to seek help for similar things again.

Not every person is attention seeking like so many professionals seem to see them as just because they have struggled with certain things (self harm is a huge one for that). They are really just hurting and want a safe, caring person to just talk with them, sit with them, help them feel like life IS worth living, they ARE worthy, etc.

My point is that not only is there a complete lack of resources but that how professionals are towards those seeking help is a factor too at times. They are who come into contact with that person at the most critical time. Some examples of services would be intensive day programs/outpatient programs for different issues since there isn't access to things even around the province, crisis prevention/intervention, a crisis house/center maybe where people can go (who aren't on drugs or alcohol) and are needing a safe place instead of the ER, etc.)

My family has not understood my struggles either. That has been very difficult for me. I cannot make them understand even though they've seen me struggle since I was 13.

It would take having the province pay attention and money being put in place to put more resources not only in Kelowna but around the province. It is a province-wide issue. People are losing their lives from many different mental health issues, and the government keeps saying they have plans, 10-year plans, etc., but rarely are things actually being done to help improve things for those struggling who really DO want help.

It's an ongoing struggle for me. I wish it wasn't because it is so hard to live this way, not being able to seek help if you need it for fear of being turned away, labeled an attention seeker, or otherwise not being taken serious or feeling like you actually deserve to be helped.
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

flamingfingers wrote:Some of us old dinosaurs are still living and STILL asking the questions:

"Why did the governments shut down Riverview and Tranquille? Where are these sick, mentally ill people who need structure and supervision going to go?"

Riverview treated a vast population of mentally fragile patients and involved them in worthwhile activities such as animal husbandry, raising produce which not only fed the residents and health care workers but also sold produce.

While virtually all of the people who were housed in Riverview at that time are now dead, the people who could now be housed there, treated there in a secure environment with supervision are out on the streets with nothing but band-aid solutions, or are in jails. A sad travesty... all for the sake of 'saving money'.

An absolute farce in the face of police interventions and so-called halfway houses or jail time - none of which are trained to cope with these kinds of mental illness!

Think about it.
Most of our elected officials could care less about the productive tax paying citizens of this country so why would they give a damn about the mentally ill. All you need to do is walk down the street in any city or yes even small town to see that
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

10/10! Right on the button. I rarely ever go to Vancouver and had not been there since the 80's. We were lucky enough to get tickets to see Paul McCartney last November. We got to town early, so we walked around for a few hours. BC place is very near the downtown eastside. When we drove through skid row in the 80's, most of the homeless were young men and women, but last November as we walked around the DTES, I was shocked to see most of it's inhabitants were quite elderly, and tons of people were in wheelchairs. Many of the people I saw were suffering from obvious mental illness. I was shocked to see a woman about 60, with no legs on the sidewalk asking for spare change. It seems like in the past 20 years, the DTES has transformed into a warehouse for sick, addicted, and mentally ill. If a hospital such as Tranquille were to be re-opened, it would house and treat many of the people we saw. Short-sighted governance seem to be the norm these days. We could sure use places like Tranquille.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Dave_1963 wrote:10/10! Right on the button. I rarely ever go to Vancouver and had not been there since the 80's. We were lucky enough to get tickets to see Paul McCartney last November. We got to town early, so we walked around for a few hours. BC place is very near the downtown eastside. When we drove through skid row in the 80's, most of the homeless were young men and women, but last November as we walked around the DTES, I was shocked to see most of it's inhabitants were quite elderly, and tons of people were in wheelchairs. Many of the people I saw were suffering from obvious mental illness. I was shocked to see a woman about 60, with no legs on the sidewalk asking for spare change. It seems like in the past 20 years, the DTES has transformed into a warehouse for sick, addicted, and mentally ill. If a hospital such as Tranquille were to be re-opened, it would house and treat many of the people we saw. Short-sighted governance seem to be the norm these days. We could sure use places like Tranquille.

I think a lot of people seem to forget though that there are those who are not homeless and are not 'as' severe as some who still do struggle significantly and aren't able to access adequate treatment. People like me who can be stable for a while but then have times where their struggles become too difficult.

Not everyone needs a long-term facility to be housed in either.

There are many ways that treatment can be provided. Something on a spectrum, for example, to help people stabilize in an outpatient setting instead of getting to the point where they might need a higher level of care (hospitalization).

Even though it costs money and the US is different, the types of treatment they provide for many things would be very useful, day programs, intensive outpatient programs, programs where you can step down from 24/7 treatment to day treatment, etc. so you have the support you need whether you are in crisis mode or feeling like you are relapsing.

I know it's not a reality, but it's a necessity. So many people aren't even getting a decent chance to live the life they could because there is not the right type of treatment available. They are the ones who suffer the most because they know what they are missing out on (in many cases anyway).
newnormal2014

Post by newnormal2014 »

I agree we need more resources. While reading this I realized how fortunate I am.

I suffer from severe PTSD and Panic / Anxiety Disorder. The latter caused by the first part. I was in Emergency Medical Services for almost 15 years in both AB and BC. A "call" that was really, compared to things I had seen over the years, serious but manageable. But something inside of me snapped. I tried to figure it out myself, hide from everyone, including my spouse what was happening, truth is I was trained in PTSD, knew all the signs and symptoms, but for some reason I didn't even think about that.

Two months after this "call" I found myself on the side of a huge embankment, crying, not knowing how or when I got there, but ready to drive off of it. I am so thankful that at that moment my cell phone rang, and luckily it was someone who knew exactly what was going on and, well I think saved my life.

I wont go on with anymore boring details, just needed everyone to understand that I get it.

What infuriates me at this moment and in complete astonishment is the lack of help and resources available to these people. We live in Canada? We are Canadians? We pay every month for Health Care? And if unable to pay financially have Social Services and other entities available to assist with this......or am I really that naïve?

My "Mental Illness / Condition" PTSD happened due to what I did as a career and happened at work, so I am fortunate and have the care that I need through Worksafe BC.

But after reading through these posts, I realized that there is a serious problem here. All I can think of is how many people are feeling like I felt that day with nobody and no resources to turn to for help? I am I guess ignorant to this stuff as before I experienced it I never really thought about it.....something I want to change within myself.

Anyways the entire reason for writing this was to see if there is anything we can do? Does anyone have any ideas? I mean there has to be someone that can do something........yes I sound naïve and I guess I am but if anyone has any ideas let me know. I am not sure how I can help, but I am sure I can do something....Still good on the phone, computer, etc, just cant do too many people yet.

PM me with any ideas, organizations you know of, anything please, I do want to help if I can.
PTSD it isn't anything I did, it is what happened to me. I may not ever be the person I used to be but I am trying to be the person I have become.....one moment at a time.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

newnormal2014 wrote:I agree we need more resources. While reading this I realized how fortunate I am.

I suffer from severe PTSD and Panic / Anxiety Disorder. The latter caused by the first part. I was in Emergency Medical Services for almost 15 years in both AB and BC. A "call" that was really, compared to things I had seen over the years, serious but manageable. But something inside of me snapped. I tried to figure it out myself, hide from everyone, including my spouse what was happening, truth is I was trained in PTSD, knew all the signs and symptoms, but for some reason I didn't even think about that.

Two months after this "call" I found myself on the side of a huge embankment, crying, not knowing how or when I got there, but ready to drive off of it. I am so thankful that at that moment my cell phone rang, and luckily it was someone who knew exactly what was going on and, well I think saved my life.

I wont go on with anymore boring details, just needed everyone to understand that I get it.

What infuriates me at this moment and in complete astonishment is the lack of help and resources available to these people. We live in Canada? We are Canadians? We pay every month for Health Care? And if unable to pay financially have Social Services and other entities available to assist with this......or am I really that naïve?

My "Mental Illness / Condition" PTSD happened due to what I did as a career and happened at work, so I am fortunate and have the care that I need through Worksafe BC.

But after reading through these posts, I realized that there is a serious problem here. All I can think of is how many people are feeling like I felt that day with nobody and no resources to turn to for help? I am I guess ignorant to this stuff as before I experienced it I never really thought about it.....something I want to change within myself.

Anyways the entire reason for writing this was to see if there is anything we can do? Does anyone have any ideas? I mean there has to be someone that can do something........yes I sound naïve and I guess I am but if anyone has any ideas let me know. I am not sure how I can help, but I am sure I can do something....Still good on the phone, computer, etc, just cant do too many people yet.

PM me with any ideas, organizations you know of, anything please, I do want to help if I can.

I've been 'in' the system to some degree for 17 or so years. I am still trying to find a way to help myself when there are no options. And over the last year, I've been at that 'edge' more often than I'd like. I had a few years where I did better. I am not sure how exactly; it just was what it was.

But struggling still, again, and knowing I have no other options except therapy, a psychiatrist, and/or medication which I've tried over the years with little result, it doesn't make me feel hopeful that I'll ever really be okay long term. I know what could help, but it really is not an option since it doesn't exist; intensive outpatient and/or inpatient (as needed) programs for specific issues.

If I could have gotten the proper help years ago and had more options in general, things could have been different for me and many others who struggle with similar things. I've felt like a lost cause my entire life and have just been told I have to learn to live with/manage my symptoms. Some days, I can accept that and do it, some days it feels impossible to do.

I learned a long time ago to not try to reach out because there is no one on the other side.
newnormal2014

Post by newnormal2014 »

I think the opposite....NEVER GIVE UP, because there is something out there we just have to find it and I guess sometimes it just takes time, ya I know easy to say when we are having bad days but I am trying to live just one day at a time, and mostly one minute at time. I also find, at least for me when I go into a full blown panic / anxiety attack or have such severe flashbacks that I am hovering in a corner for sometimes an hour that the deep breathing and my tapping (EMDR) helps. There is no magical pill or anything else that takes it away but it helps me to manage it at the time. Too bad it has alienated so many friends and family from me because they just don't understand it and I think plain and simple it scares the hell out of them. Keep the faith, whatever that is for you. I have faith in me, not all the time but I keep trying. And every day is a new day, and every anxiety attack, flashback, nightmare.....they do pass, usually followed by another but hey at least they do pass. Please don't ever give up. It is people like you that keep me going as I know I am not alone and one thing about this PTSD and Anxiety is it is a very lonely place to be. Especially since your not only feeling alone, but if you are like me you have lost yourself as well.....happy thoughts and if you read there are a few books that have been good for me...The Gifts of Imperfection and also The Seat of the Soul....
PTSD it isn't anything I did, it is what happened to me. I may not ever be the person I used to be but I am trying to be the person I have become.....one moment at a time.
newnormal2014

Post by newnormal2014 »

PS) I am currently trying to find other people who also have PTSD and Anxiety Conditions. For me I am unable to be around more that a few people but was thinking maybe if we all even had a discussion together once a week over the phone to start. Maybe talking with other people who understand what we are going through, we can somehow help ourselves and each other, or at the very least find some comfort knowing that we are not alone. Just a thought. My goal is that one day when I am stronger and better.....and I truly believe that will happen over time......I am going to make it my personal goal to work on getting more support groups, etc for those who don't have the support. At least now thanks to Castanet and the awesome people on this board I feel some comfort that there are others like myself.......
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Yeah. I have a hard time around people too and on phones. Well, I think it depends on the day, how I'm feeling, etc. It has been a big reason why I don't have friends. I also have social anxiety (always have) on top of the other stuff, so if it is all in play at the same time, I basically write off the day. Then again, my home is my safe place too, and I'm quite content staying home most of the time.

What you said about family not understanding, that is what I experience very often. I get told I am fine, I'm okay, and get told to 'just' do more, meet people, etc. No matter how many times I've explained (or tried to) how things are for me, they'll never really get it. I am fine with that, but when they respond like THEY are tired of my issues or don't know what to say anymore, it makes me feel very awkward and makes me want to just keep quiet. I'd much rather be on their side of it than mine any day.

I do what I can, when I can. Sometimes it's at a very slow pace. I don't have flashbacks often, but almost daily I can feel the effects of PTSD on my life in some way.

Return to “Social Concerns”