Bitcoin ATM

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
V-Rated
Guru

Re: Bitcoin ATM

Post by V-Rated »

I never really understood it.
V!
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

V-Rated wrote:I never really understood it.
V!

Same. I've seen how quickly something can implode when a company puts a false value on an item with nothing to back it up.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Phoenix Within wrote:Good in theory, but kinda hard to put hard currency behind a piece of data and claim it has a value.

While I know main topic is Bitcoin ... this statement is easily countered with anything off iTunes or Steam games or other streaming services ... or stolen info like credit cards, passwords, usernames, email addresses ... or "in-world" video game items, accessories, xp, subscriptions ... ... etc.

Careful of the confusion between worth, price/cost, and value.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Those are products you purchase. Two different things. Bitcoin is attempting to be a currency based on nothing.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Phoenix Within wrote:Those are products you purchase. Two different things. Bitcoin is attempting to be a currency based on nothing.

Read some of the EULAs ... and in the case of in-world video game experiences it's data within the game, can't take that data "out" of the game. Ergo, data.

Phoenix Within wrote:I've seen how quickly something can implode when a company puts a false value on an item with nothing to back it up.

Also akin to "a wrong opinion with no supporting facts".

http://humancond.org/analysis/economics ... h_vs_value
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Did everybody forget the bit coin rip off around a year or so ago. When all the money from bit coins was ripped off and everybody that bought them lost everything.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

samsquench07 wrote:Did everybody forget the bit coin rip off around a year or so ago. When all the money from bit coins was ripped off and everybody that bought them lost everything.

That is incorrect.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I don't really understand bit coins but I do know someone who has purchased some and is mining them. They have made a fair amount on their investment. If it collapsed now,they'd still be ahead.

I'm not saying it's a wise investment or a rip off. Just that this person in particular has done ok.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bunnyhop wrote:I don't really understand bit coins but I do know someone who has purchased some and is mining them.
What do you mean by "mining them"? I don't know much about bitcoins.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Phoenix Within wrote: Bitcoin is attempting to be a currency based on nothing.

Not much different than the currency we're using now. There is nowhere near the paper in circulation (or available) to match the numbers in the computers. When the internet crashes it will all be over. Even gold will be useless at that point.

Access to food, water, guns and ammunition (and lots of it) - that's what you want.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I don't understand it myself so this is the best I can do.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The podcast I posted on page 1 has some good explanations for the layman.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
That is incorrect.

How is that incorrect? Lots of google articles. Even from Forbes
Kenisfun

Post by Kenisfun »

samsquench07 wrote:Did everybody forget the bit coin rip off around a year or so ago. When all the money from bit coins was ripped off and everybody that bought them lost everything.

I think you must be referring to the failure of the Mt Gox exchange. Yes, it was a fiasco. That exchange "lost" 650,000 bitcoins. This is not the entire supply of bitcoins, and they didn't vanish. Many of them were stolen.

This is similar to a Brinks truck spilling its contents out along the highway. If it was your money, you're in trouble. Whoever snaps up the money on the road would be able to spend it.

Bitcoins are still being traded. Their value has dropped significantly in the last year, but it's far from true that everybody that bought them lost everything. Anybody who is holding Bitcoins that were purchased before the second half of 2013 would still be able to sell for a significant profit.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

yep just checked...

its still being traded at 233 dollars US which again a far cry from the 1000 bucks last year...but still worth something especially worth more than our Canadian dollar!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Social Concerns”