Virtual reality MMORPG

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Virtual reality MMORPG

Post by Oxl3y »

I like anime and recently I downloaded a show called Sword Art Online. The premise is that a new virtual reality mmo launches in Japan, for reasons unknown the creator traps all the people that log in for the launch inside the game and creates an environment where if you die in the game you die for real. Also if someone outside the game tries to remove your VR headgear it fries your brain. The only way for everyone to escape is to beat all 100 levels of the game.

As an mmo fan myself I find it an interesting idea and got me thinking if a virtual reality MMORPG existed would I even want to play it? Personally I don't think I would because I think it could be far too easy to be seduced by the game. Current mmo's are soul sucking enough but if you could completely disassociate yourself from your real life I think it could become very difficult to return to reality. Basically some people may find that their online selves are more successful than their real life selves.

If such a thing did exist do you think people would find ways to plug themselves in indefinitely? Almost like coma victims? Considering that in some games there is an actual exchange of real money for game items its even feasible that someone could support their lifestyle solely in game.

Perhaps this doesn't belong in social concerns but I think there are a lot of people that would be more then happy to escape reality in this method so it could be a concern.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Virtual reality MMORPG

Post by Lady tehMa »

I love SAO - excellent show.

A game however, is only a game. If you have a healthy work/play/life balance, it shouldn't be an issue. Knowing yourself is key. My husband and kids are all gamers and manage quite well. I have an addictive personality, so as much as I'd like to, I don't play. I'll watch them though. :)

If we got to the level of technology needed, think of what it could do for people who have mobility issues, or other functional disabilities. If you look at one example in Log Horizon (anime with a similar premise), one of the characters is a young boy who IRL is wheelchair-bound. In the game he can run and jump, and do many things he is unable to do normally.

The downside to such a place though, was hinted at in another thread on trolls. You saw what happened in SAO, with the Laughing Coffin Guild. As it is the anonymity of the internet allows people to lose civilized restraints; the result is trolls. It is not such a stretch to see the Laughing Coffin as an inevitable evolution of the troll.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Lady tehMa wrote:I love SAO - excellent show.

A game however, is only a game. If you have a healthy work/play/life balance, it shouldn't be an issue. Knowing yourself is key. My husband and kids are all gamers and manage quite well. I have an addictive personality, so as much as I'd like to, I don't play. I'll watch them though. :)

If we got to the level of technology needed, think of what it could do for people who have mobility issues, or other functional disabilities. If you look at one example in Log Horizon (anime with a similar premise), one of the characters is a young boy who IRL is wheelchair-bound. In the game he can run and jump, and do many things he is unable to do normally.

The downside to such a place though, was hinted at in another thread on trolls. You saw what happened in SAO, with the Laughing Coffin Guild. As it is the anonymity of the internet allows people to lose civilized restraints; the result is trolls. It is not such a stretch to see the Laughing Coffin as an inevitable evolution of the troll.

For those that don't know, in the show the laughing coffin guild is essentially a hitman for hire group. Using the moral reasoning that they can't prove that people that die in the game die for real it doesn't matter if they kill people as long as they are making a profit.

I am certain that it wouldn't be a trap for everyone. Those that maintain a healthy balance like you say would be fine but I would also say that even with online games current technology there are people that would rather lose themselves in it than face their reality. These games can supply an escape for more than just someone that's physically handicapped but also emotionally handicapped. The socially awkward outcast could be someone that 100's of people are relying on to log in, the person that's struggling to pay their rent could find that they are one of the wealthiest people online. The allure to remain as that successful version of yourself could be powerful. Combine technology that makes it all the more real and I don't doubt that we would start getting stories about people being found dead in their homes still logged in.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

As far as trolls go unless you were in a situation like the show they wouldn't be much more of a problem then current games. Always irritating, sometimes to the point of madness but at least it wouldn't result in your actual death (hell it might actually make you log out and get some fresh air!)

I wonder though if it was a virtual reality world if that would curb trolling behavior? In current games there is still a lot of detachment, you are still looking at a screen, typing on a keyboard. If it was virtual reality you would be looking into the face of the person you are harassing. Yes you would still be anonymous but it might also humanize the situation a bit more making trolling harder to justify morally.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Or it might possibly desensitize them to the point where they feel justified in carrying their actions over into the real world.

Still, I think the applications for people with physical disabilities might be profound - or mental disabilities even. With autism, over-stimulation leads to meltdowns. In an MMORPG perhaps you could build in filters, so that the person could choose how much data they could process. Full on if they were doing well, then as they being to feel overwhelmed they could activate filters to minimize or eliminate background noise, bright lights, etc.

Addiction is rampant in today's world, I think that having one addicted to a mental exercise would be healthier than a physical addiction to drugs. Perhaps psychologist could design a world for therapeutic purposes, one designed to help people work through their issues in a controlled environment.

Have you ever watched Ghost in the Shell? That anime has an interesting concept of real world working alongside cyberworld. In particular Stand Alone Complex and Second Gig; it also brings up the AI question.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

I have no doubt it could be used for good although I fear that in the case of using it for someone that's physically disabled, ie: allowing them to walk again, it would just make their actual reality just that much more depressing. Every time you log out it would be like losing your legs, arms all over again. Consider the avatar scenario, although at least in that case it was a real life body he was switching into, albeit an alien one. .

It could be a very useful way to allow people to combat crippling phobias though allowing them to face them in a safe manner.

I watched Ghost in the Shell a long time ago I'll have to watch it again as well as those others.

Return to “Social Concerns”