Police and Politics

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Police and Politics

Post by JLives »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum ... -colorado/

Citing Joke, Annapolis Police Chief Testifies That Pot Killed 37 People On The First Day Of Legalization In Colorado
Comment Now Follow Comments

Testifying against marijuana legalization before the Maryland legislature today, Annapolis Police Chief Michael Pristoop warned of the potentially lethal consequences. “The first day of legalization, that’s when Colorado experienced 37 deaths that day from overdose on marijuana,” Pristoop told the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee. “I remember the first day it was decriminalized there were 37 deaths.”

As Sen. Jamie Raskin (D-Montgomery) quickly pointed out, what Pristoop actually remembered was a joke story at The Daily Currant headlined “Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado on First Day of Legalization.” The article included a quote from “Peter Swindon, president and CEO of local brewer MolsonCoors,” who supposedly said: “We told everyone this would happen. Marijuana is a deadly hardcore drug that causes addiction and destroys lives. When was the last time you heard of someone overdosing on beer? All these pro-marijuana groups should be ashamed of themselves. The victims’ blood is on their hands.”

Pristoop seemed taken aback that something he had seen in print might not be the literal truth. “If it was a misquote,” he told Raskin, “then I’ll stand behind the mistake. But I’m holding on to information I was provided.”

How do you feel about this? Should police officers be helping form laws or be separated from that process in order to focus on enforcement?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
AwakeFromDreamland
Fledgling

Re: Police and Politics

Post by AwakeFromDreamland »

Wow, that is one stupid human, scary really .https://www.facebook.com/notes/annapolis-police-department/apd-media-release-022514/10152348401493777
APD Media Release 02/25/14
February 25, 2014 at 2:49pm

Chief Apologizes for Testimony Error

On Tuesday February 25, 2013 Chief Michael Pristoop testified in front of the Maryland Senate Judiciary Committee opposing the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana. During his testimony the Chief indicated a number of deaths (37)occurred in Colorado on the first day of marijuana legalization in that State. Chief Pristoop, after conducting additional research, discovered that the numbers presented were not accurate but an urban myth. "I apologize for the information I provided concerning the deaths. I believed the information I obtained was accurate but I now know the story is nothing more than an urban legend," Chief Michael Pristoop stated. "This does not take away from the other facts presented in opposition to legalization or the good work of the Maryland Chiefs and Maryland Sheriffs Associations."
Responses to press release
Kelly Cox Yes, Chief Pristoop, it most certainly does take away from the other "facts" presented, if you presented them. It is called credibility, and you showed that you have absolutely zero.
Mark King So, he gave false testimony, under oath. I assume he's now under arrest and charged with perjury - correct? I assume his $147,000.00 salary is being docked - correct?
Oh right - two sets of laws - the one set of laws that the police will use to threaten, harass, extort and even kill the public they are supposed to be protecting - and the other set of laws that they themselves follow.
Howard J. Wooldridge Such 'facts' presented by officers like Chief Pristoop result in innocents being convicted. You sir, are an embarrassment to our profession. ...Det/Officer Howard J. Wooldridge, Bath Twp., MI
Kevin K. Taggart The fact that a police chief thinks it's possible to overdose on marijuana is an extremely sad comment on the police department as a whole. The credibility of anything this force has ever presented should be questioned. You sir, are a clown and should be removed from office and sent to the circus where you belong.
What an embarrassment, no wonder cops have a hard time maintaining a good image with the sheer amount of complete fools in there midst .
Endocannabinoid system "We are all born with a form of marijuana already in our bodies." "Cannabis kills cancer cells,people are not aware of that,they think cancer/cannabis - anti nausea.It's waay beyond that." Dr.Robert Melamede phD
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think even the prohibitionalists distance themselves from absurd claims. There are legit concerns with legalization and statements like this don't necessarily help.

No matter where you stand there are nutcases on either side of any particular issue.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

No matter where you stand there are nutcases on either side of any particular issue.

Sadly , this nut case wears a gun and is licensed to use it...

I just have to wonder if this is more of a religious zealousness than a war on drugs thing...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I tried marijuana once. It made me want to rape and killl.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The local police posters seem to come across with the attitude that that are "are helpless to change the law" / "I'm just following the law", but when it comes time to taking away 50% of their workload dealing with prohibition, all of a sudden they become lobbyists for the law and have vocal opinions on the subject

Also interesting - the Government quotes the police stance "against marijuana" and uses it for justification but when the same police department said they needed the gun registry and it saved lives - the government cut it and ignored them.

Politics indeed.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:How do you feel about this? Should police officers be helping form laws or be separated from that process in order to focus on enforcement?

I don't think police forces are at all involved in process of forming laws. And shouldn't be. Nothing is wrong with consulting them, but forming new laws is out of their hands.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I don't think police forces are at all involved in process of forming laws

Oh I'm certain that police forces lobby , or suggest" the formation of laws.....

Didn't former "Chief" McKinnon suggest banning spray paint cans to city council ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”