Are property values truly going up?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Are property values truly going up?

Post by Glacier »

The experts at a certain association that deals with the buying and selling of homes in the Okanagan tell us that prices just keep trucking upwards. As luck would have it, we are interested in buying 5 to 10 acres, and have been looking around all over the valley. Of course, every time we see a good place, we look it up on BC Assessment just to see what they say. On that website they divide the land from the house, and without exception every single property that we've looked at has dropped $10,000 or more since last year (unless the property has farm status, in which case the value has not changed). I will give you an example (this place is WAY out of our price range, but it's one that I've randomly clicked on at the moment). Look at 2575 Harvard Road, Kelowna. Last year the land was valued at $478,000, and this year it is assessed at $430,000.

Is it just me, or is kinda hard to pull the trigger when you get the impression that property values might be dropped at $20,000/ year?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Are property values truly going up?

Post by rekabis »

Save your money. Invest it in a group of investments that track a well-performing index (remember to regularly re-balance that portfolio). Make that 10-15% per year, and then pull the trigger once prices have bottomed out for at least 2-3 years. Right now it is still financially insane to buy property anywhere in Canada west of Québec.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

rekabis wrote:Save your money. Invest it in a group of investments that track a well-performing index (remember to regularly re-balance that portfolio). Make that 10-15% per year, and then pull the trigger once prices have bottomed out for at least 2-3 years. Right now it is still financially insane to buy property anywhere in Canada west of Québec.

With your track record on predicting market trends, you would be the second last person on the planet that I would listen to, with the first person I would never listen to being Static. The third would be that guy pushing the shopping cart along Harvey at least he gets some of his predictions correct.

2-3 more years? lol... yeah right...
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I wouldn't purchase anything right now. Both the real-estate and stock markets are expensive. Wait for a pullback in the stock market and for interest rates to climb before jumping into real-estate. Prices for real-estate are falling, even in Vancouver. They will continue to fall no matter if interest rates stay where they are or climb. Rising rates will simply speed up the adjustment which is what we want.

AntiBacon, in the last ten years my average stock has returned 118% over an average holding period of 5.2 years(without leverage). The TSX, NYSE, and the S&P 500 are up 46%, 33% and 32%, respectively. Past trades returned an average 37% over an average holding period of 1.9 years. Of the 38 securities I have recommended, I have realized 2 losses by selling and still have 2 in the portfolio (BB and LFE). Dividends have accounted for over 40% of my return. Overall, I have an 89% success rate at picking stocks.

Rekabis, one should buy individual stocks rather than index tracking instruments. Find a stock that has a lengthy history of increasing its dividend, hold it for as long as they continue to increase it and it will outperform the stock markets exponentially.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

$20/share by the year end guaranteed!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm leaning toward buy a place soon. If I wait until the market crashes, my down payment will also have crashed, so even though the house might be cheaper, it won't be worth it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Glacier wrote:I'm leaning toward buy a place soon. If I wait until the market crashes, my down payment will also have crashed, so even though the house might be cheaper, it won't be worth it.

Regardless of what the naysayers preach, look at the past market cycles and look at how this one is behaving now. It is very similar and does not point to further price erosion. We are coming up to 6 years of a down cycle.....very normal. Watch the transaction numbers......what is happening now? They are rising strongly. Everything points to stability for quite a while now and then the normal rise upwards slowly.
Ignore the media when they talk about canadian real estate....they are basically talking about Vancouver and Toronto. Unless you are buying in those markets, it is meaningless. Look at our market behaviour.
You and 71 others Like this post
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I agree with LANDM that every market is different. I haven't followed the Okanogan market since I've moved but I did look at Penticton a month ago and I did notice prices in some segments are down considerably.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Was at clients condo last week doing some work. She told me it took her a year and a half to sell her house in Kelowna.

Can anyone guess why it took her a year and a half to sell?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Because she was asking way too much. If you can't sell you place within 2 months you're asking too much.
- Douglas Murray
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

forum wrote:
Can anyone guess why it took her a year and a half to sell?

because property values truly are not going up.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Or it was a dump and needed too much work.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

...for which she wanted too much. Even dumps sell at the appropriate price.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

It would be nice if the Canadian housing market crashed already.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

forum wrote:It would be nice if the Canadian housing market crashed already.

Have you been out of our market area for the last six years???
We crashed and burned in the summer of 2008 and have not recovered.
If you are talking about Vancouver and Toronto, who cares....the OP was talking about our market.....their is no cohesive "canadian housing market".
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Social Concerns”