Do you feel Canadian?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Do you feel Canadian?

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:Sudsy
They feel with their hands :/

That's my preference.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I find the Okanagan to be very un-Canadian. Most people around here act like the Okanagan is the California of the North. Our winters are also exponentially milder than the rest of Canada with the exception of the West Coast. Even though it may not seem like it sometimes, we are part of Canada and that's something to be proud of.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Cumungala wrote:I find the Okanagan to be very un-Canadian. Most people around here act like the Okanagan is the California of the North. Our winters are also exponentially milder than the rest of Canada with the exception of the West Coast. Even though it may not seem like it sometimes, we are part of Canada and that's something to be proud of.

But that is exactly why we are considered the California of Canada.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Dented

Post by Dented »

Canada rules and if you don't feel Canadian i'll kick you south.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The OP's question is very valid.

Our winters here are very, very mild. Summer is out-of-this world consistent and awesome. Also very clean, modern and groomed here.

The rest of Canada, not so much.

Canadians suffer from a weather-Stockholm syndrome. They define themselves through their winter suffering. Once you get outside that frame of mind and see that you don't have to suffer through brutal winters, the whole "I'm proud to freeze my bum off at -30 for almost half a year" seems ridiculous. Yes some people like the snow. We also are one of the highest population base to vacation to tropic places. We run away - but are proud to come back and suffer.

Beer commercials, Can Tire, ect. Canada = winter suffering = huge part of being Canadian.

Don't get too insulted, it was just a question. I feel like a different Canadian I suppose because I feel bad for all those people slugging it out in snowbanks right now and I do not relate to that mindset.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Quailize wrote:do you feel like you are part of Canada living here in the Okanagan? Or do you feel separated?

I always feel Canadian. Except when I'm sober. And I only feel separated when I read the forums here.
Your bias suits you.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I feel Canadian. I don't understand how someone born and raised in Canada wouldn't . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Social Concerns”