What does it take to get a maximum sentence!?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
watchkat
Übergod

What does it take to get a maximum sentence!?

Post by watchkat »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#112883

Please someone explain this story. I am sooooooooooo tired of criminals....and dangerous repeat offenders being give sentences to half way houses. Really?
This male is serving 10 years in a half way house? Two federal convictions for sexual assault and choking into submission.

Why do we even have prisons? Seems everyone gets to get day passes and live in communities.

Sex offender found in K-Town
by Wayne Moore | Story: 112883 - Apr 10, 2014 / 4:00 pm

Photo: Contributed - CTV

A high-risk sex offender was arrested in Kelowna Thursday.

Darren Wheatley, 44, was wanted on a Canada wide warrant issued on March 27.

The warrant was issued after Wheatley failed to return to a halfway house in New Westminster the day before.

Wheatley is a two-time federal offender who is currently serving a 10-year sentence for two counts of sexual assault, sexual assault causing bodily harm and two counts of overcoming resistance by choking.

The charges stemmed from three separate attacks on adult women in Ontario.

No details of the arrest were released
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: What does it take to get a maximum sentence!?

Post by cutter7 »

Sounds like he had a pretty reasonable sentence. what you see here is the parole program in effect.

He served a set amount of time, applied for and received parole to a halfway house. He failed the program and will now return to jail to serve his full sentence, If he had stayed in jail in the first place he would have served less time.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Did you know that Denmark is shutting down prisons because they don't have enough criminals to lock up. Their system focuses on rehabilitation rather than punishment. It seems to be working.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

In answer to your question; steal from the government.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

watchkat wrote:Why do we even have prisons? Seems everyone gets to get day passes and live in communities.

Completely ignoring the topic of parolee monitoring - why do we let prisoners out on parole? Because it costs $130k/year to house them in federal prison and they have no way to contribute to or be rehabilitated for re-integration into society at all. If you feel so strongly that offenders shouldn't be paroled and rehabilitated, then you should attend a few parole hearings and make yourself heard. I'd far rather see that we inject some money into the rehabilitation and monitoring aspect of the parole system rather than continuing to build prisons. I'm also quite certain that if we were to inject some tax dollars back into dealing properly with mental health, we'd have a drop in crime rates as we'd be dealing with the problems rather than the symptoms. As long as voters like you keep crying for maximum sentences and places to lock up undesirables, however, that won't happen. Politicians will gladly favor punishment over treatment in an effort to garner votes.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Social Concerns”