John Oliver on Climate Change

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

John Oliver on Climate Change

Post by JLives »

Love this. This is what a statistically representative climate change debate looks like.

*Language warning*

"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: John Oliver on Climate Change

Post by flamingfingers »

^I have no argument whatsoever that 'climate change' is actually happening NOW and will continue to happen into the future, like it has for millennia. What I am skeptical about is 'Man-made climate change.' I think that comparing man made emissions to naturally occurring volcanoes, naturally occurring methane-fossil fuel escapes and naturally occurring gases from rotting vegetation is pretty insignificant. And maybe the scientists have not included the gases that escape from the animals inhabiting the earth - us included. Maybe we should quit farting, eh?
Chill
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Given the fact that engineers, meteorologists, and the like are as evenly divided over the issue as the general public, I'm left with the impression that this video is only meant to appeal to authority instead of talk about the actual facts in the case.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Climate change is being created through the use of geoengineering programs. The masses are not responsible for the change of climate, however they are the only responsible party that can and should put the call out on geoengineering and put a stop to it. Making people believe that they are responsible for the actual climate change through use of guilt is manipulation of the higgest order. Dont be duped...be awake and aware. Stop geoengineering and the climate will normalize. Fact.
Last edited by BelieveNothing on May 14th, 2014, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BelieveNothing wrote: Stop geoengineering and the climate will normalize. Fact.

LOL! There's about as much fact there as there is behind the claim that the climate extremes are becoming more frequent, which is to say there isn't even any evidence.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

It would be nice to see a positive response on these forums just once.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/give- ... -1.2586882
Keith is not calling for an immediate adoption of geoengineering. What he wants to see is scientific and political energy poured into research into geoengineering’s possibilities and risks, and a robust public debate so that informed policy decisions can be made about whether it’s a viable tool to prevent the worst effects of climate change
There is research being conducted but putting it into practice is a different story.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

flamingfingers wrote:^I have no argument whatsoever that 'climate change' is actually happening NOW and will continue to happen into the future, like it has for millennia. What I am skeptical about is 'Man-made climate change.' I think that comparing man made emissions to naturally occurring volcanoes, naturally occurring methane-fossil fuel escapes and naturally occurring gases from rotting vegetation is pretty insignificant. And maybe the scientists have not included the gases that escape from the animals inhabiting the earth - us included. Maybe we should quit farting, eh?

I believe changes are happening, I'm not sure if it's co2 emissions…… or combination of all the other chemical being pumping out into atmosphere.

Or just is natural cycle that planet goes threw and we are in for the ride.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

GordonH wrote:I believe changes are happening, I'm not sure if it's co2 emissions…… or combination of all the other chemical being pumping out into atmosphere.

Or just is natural cycle that planet goes threw and we are in for the ride.

Even if humans are 100% responsible, it's naive to believe that what started in the mid 1800's with the advent of the industrial revolution and a population of 1.5 billion people on foot and horseback, can be effectively stabilized in a short time now that we number over 7 billion people and use more energy per capita than at any time in history.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Glacier wrote:Given the fact that engineers, meteorologists, and the like are as evenly divided over the issue as the general public, I'm left with the impression that this video is only meant to appeal to authority instead of talk about the actual facts in the case.

I believe many of the actual facts in the case were mentioned. You're looking for a full discussion in 4 minutes? I have dozens full hour documentaries dating back from decades ago to today discussing climate change, presented by scientists who are experts in their fields. These go over many of the facts. Also i'm not sure what engineers have to do with studying climate change, but from the scientific papers available on the matter, there is nothing even close to approaching an "even divide" on the issue.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Glacier wrote:are as evenly divided over the issue as the general public.

Talk about tricky!

1. Scientists are NOT "evenly divided on the issue", hence the proportional debate joke and the point of this thread.

2. The public is not evenly divided. That's Koch Bros talking and repeating the same question over and over. Its only a question because they keep asking it?

Question : do cats exist?

80% of people say they do according to so-and-so survey. Does that mean the existence of cats are questionable or that 20% of the population has trouble understanding information?
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:I believe many of the actual facts in the case were mentioned. You're looking for a full discussion in 4 minutes? I have dozens full hour documentaries dating back from decades ago to today discussing climate change, presented by scientists who are experts in their fields. These go over many of the facts. Also i'm not sure what engineers have to do with studying climate change, but from the scientific papers available on the matter, there is nothing even close to approaching an "even divide" on the issue.

Actually, see my poll in the other thread. Public divided. Also, polls of scientists show similar results...http://www.ametsoc.org/boardpges/cwce/d ... ndings.pdf

If you disagree, post your own poll.
- Douglas Murray
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

flamingfingers wrote:^I have no argument whatsoever that 'climate change' is actually happening NOW and will continue to happen into the future, like it has for millennia. What I am skeptical about is 'Man-made climate change.' I think that comparing man made emissions to naturally occurring volcanoes, naturally occurring methane-fossil fuel escapes and naturally occurring gases from rotting vegetation is pretty insignificant. And maybe the scientists have not included the gases that escape from the animals inhabiting the earth - us included. Maybe we should quit farting, eh?

Clap clap clap!! Great post.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Atomoa wrote:
Talk about tricky!

What's amazing to me is how this issue of the unproven AGW hypothesis is divided along political lines. Why are those who follow failed political ideologies so quick to jump into unproven scientific theories? Is it because the "cure" that has been prescribed to this unproven theory hits all of your high points of what you "believe" in, including massive wealth distribution, high taxes for absolutely no benefit to anyone, and huge loss of personal freedoms? What draws you so much to this horrible and unproven cause? Why are you applying your methods of spinning actual facts to suit your cause in this one particular area? Is it the quasi-religious aspect of this cause? It fills a spiritual need in your atheistic existence? I'm curious - there are many causes out there, but this one, the AGW fraud, seems to really appeal to the those among us who yearn for our society to be basically communistic in nature, and I can only see this as not a coincidence.
Not afraid to say "It".
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's not that we are causing climate change, the climate always changes. We are accelerating it. It's a matter of do catastrophic changes happen in 5000 years or 50 years or 5 years? We are already experiencing the beginnings of it and are arguing over whether it is happening instead of how to adapt.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Social Concerns”