Seniors denied control over their own lives

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
omisimaw
Guru

Re: Seniors denied control over their own lives

Post by omisimaw »

Queen K wrote:Omi, even if I personally had any answers to your questions, I would not be able to address any of the questions in relation to this couple.

As it is I do know this, these things are not taken lightly nor is this decision an easy one. When does IH have authority to not let people go home? Let's just say there's a limit to everything.

And like I said, just because an elderly person says, "I can manage" does not mean they can without undue risk. Believe me, letting people live at risk is a specialty of IH, so not letting people go home truly means something.

Hey queen not referring to this couple and do appreciate their privacy.
And there are signals and flags up in the story enough to say something is going on.
I know the decision is not a light one but it begins with the family and physician to give the order does it not?
I am sure IHA can not over rule a physicians decision or a family for that matter.
Oh believe me I am well aware how the senior mind with dementia works and they think they can climb mountains at times and go off to try :)
But in this case when an elderly person can get to the media to have a story and seem fairly on the ball you do wonder
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 25th, 2014, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Update: The couple has returned home and are very happy about it.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-115766-1-.htm#115766
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm happy for them too.

They probably had to modify some things, downsize some stuff to fit medical equipment or accept homecare.

Whatever works to keep people out of long term beds. Believe me, IH doesn't want people in facilities, there had to be something happening at home for this to happen.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”