Cut off all funding to private schools

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
forum
Guru

Cut off all funding to private schools

Post by forum »

It kind of makes sense that we cut off the funding to Private schools and let them survive on their own.

Put that extra money back into the Public school system where it can be better used.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/the-hot-issue-of-funding-private-schools-amid-bc-labour-dispute/article19171198/

Christy Clarke seems to have some sort of hidden agenda... http://www.theprovince.com/life/Michael+Smyth+Public+private+schools+philosophical+difference/9937640/story.html
Veovis
Guru

Re: Cut off all funding to private schools to serve public.

Post by Veovis »

And get a new cry from the same groups stating "private schools are only for the really rich and elite!"

Technically if you closed the private schools it would be a large cost increase on the public system as they charge almost double per kid. People love to say "HEY look at this money" but never care a thing about the kids they hurt doing it.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Veovis wrote:And get a new cry from the same groups stating "private schools are only for the really rich and elite!"

Technically if you closed the private schools it would be a large cost increase on the public system as they charge almost double per kid. People love to say "HEY look at this money" but never care a thing about the kids they hurt doing it.

The point that many people miss (including government officials) is that education is an investment...not an expense.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Okay cut funding of private schools, at the same time remove the portion of land tax from parents who send there children to private school.
Since large portion if not all the public school funding come from BC tax assessments/land & homeowner tax.
Since these homeowners are not sending there children to public system they should not have to pay for.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:Okay cut funding of private schools, at the same time remove the portion of land tax from parents who send there children to private school.
Since large portion if not all the public school funding come from BC tax assessments/land & homeowner tax.
Since these homeowners are not sending there children to public system they should not have to pay for.

Here,here.... I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the gov't told teachers that, since those who have chose this option will no longer be contributing to their wages and pensions, there's no more money for them...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

So.. The only ones taxed would be those with children in the public system?

No taxes for childless couples , retirees, etc.?

If you think Education is expensive try ignorance.

We ALL have a responsibility to supports comprehensive public education system, open to ALL.

The Rich have the same responsibility.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Let's think this through. Defund all private schools. Now the parent has to pay even more. Any child who is there through sacrifice of barely middle-income parents (like me and others I know) now simply can't afford it. So all those kids get dumped back into the public system. Public system has the same funding, and a LOT more students. The ones that are coming in were only funded at 30%, now have to be funded at 100%.

Yeah.

That'll work. >_>

NOT.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

forum wrote:It kind of makes sense that we cut off the funding to Private schools and let them survive on their own.

Put that extra money back into the Public school system where it can be better used.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/the-hot-issue-of-funding-private-schools-amid-bc-labour-dispute/article19171198/

Christy Clarke seems to have some sort of hidden agenda... http://www.theprovince.com/life/Michael+Smyth+Public+private+schools+philosophical+difference/9937640/story.html

Good idea. That would put several thousand teachers out of work from the private schools, greatly increase the current large glut of teacher supply, and drive down the salaries taxpayers are required to pay to attract teachers in the public system.

That would enable the government to give net zero over 6 years, and still have a huge supply of teachers to fill positions abandoned by public teachers that were hoping for a big raise. The teachers from the private system would be non-union types, greatly reducing the militancy in the public system when they are hired to absord the displaced kids. Noone cares about the disruption to the kids' lives, as evidenced by your idea, so they are simply commodities traded between producers of education.

It's simple supply and demand. When you have a massive supply and fixed demand, you end up paying much less to fill positions.

I think you may be on to something here!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

You would have to pay more in taxation to fund the public system properly.

And still pay to have your child in unsupervised , parochial schools.

Your choice.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Not exactly "unsupervised", despite your "sources". In order for the school to qualify for funding, there must be visits by inspectors, our curricula must contain specific subjects and we must meet learning outcomes.

I'm pleased to say our school does exceedingly well in those areas.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

How about we cut off the funding for public schools and put it in to private schools where the kids get a great education and the teachers want to work?

Makes about the same amount of sense don't ya think?
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Lady tehMa wrote:The ones that are coming in were only funded at 30%, now have to be funded at 100%.
May I ask your cost for private school? I want to calculate funds per child. 30% public funding would be about $3000 public funding.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

forum wrote:It kind of makes sense that we cut off the funding to Private schools and let them survive on their own.

OK....but what would we do with all of that money we "save"?

LOL - Oh right...yes. And "better used" would be to pay out $5,000 per teacher signing bonuses I assume...LOL...

I would support ending funding to private schools if it meant:

1) the BCTF was decertified and all teachers were non-union and did not have the right to strike
2) the idiotic legislation foisted on us by Glen Clark and his band of NDP boneheads was repealed, such that the BCTF did NOT have the right to bargain class size

That makes some sense. In a perfect world, the system would stay the way it is, while the BCTF would be decertified and the horrible legislation was repealed. In a perfect world.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

LordEd wrote:May I ask your cost for private school? I want to calculate funds per child. 30% public funding would be about $3000 public funding.

We pay about $450 a month on a 10 month plan, and that's with two teenagers who have extra fees. Our school is unusual in that the more kids you have going, the less you pay per child. If you have a large family it is worth it.

Here's the page with the tuition form, and all options available. http://www.heritagechristian.ca/index.php?page=enroll-with-us
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

For this proposal to be successful you must assume that the demand for education is inelastic. Clearly it is not, otherwise private schools would enrollment would be much closer to 100%.

Return to “Social Concerns”