Rentals that allow dogs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rookie314
Übergod

Re: Rentals that allow dogs

Post by rookie314 »

True except if they report the suite you have two options, make it legal or evict and dismantle it. Either is going to cause your tenants significant difficulties.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Jaide'd, the RTA has wording clarifying that it includes illegal suites. I believe the reasoning is this: Whether the suite is legal or not is a municipal bylaw issue, rentals are under Provincial law through the RTA.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

kgcayenne wrote:Jaide'd, the RTA has wording clarifying that it includes illegal suites. I believe the reasoning is this: Whether the suite is legal or not is a municipal bylaw issue, rentals are under Provincial law through the RTA.

Correct. All suites, legal or illegal, are subject to the same laws under the RTA. They don't care what each individual municipality has deemed to be illegal. Provincial law takes precedence over any municipal bylaw.

Very common for tenants who damage property to somehow think they are not responsible for damages they cause, bc the suite is "illegal". They are still liable according to the RTA.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 6th, 2014, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: try again without the insults
Guru

Post by 1669 »

When deciding whether to rent to someone with a dog, I always meet the dog before signing the lease. Is the dog well socialized and friendly, or is it agressive? Some people have large breeds primarily for the purpose of intimidation, and encourage agressiveness. Is it obedience trained? Will the dog sit and stay on command? Responsible pet owners socialize and train their pets. Irresponsible pet owners do not.

Are the tenants kind, well mannered, respectable, responsible, and respectfull? Obviously the tenant will want to make a good impression in order to get the keys, so a background check is necessary to weed out bad tenants. Can they afford the rent and utilities, and for any damage their pet causes? Do they have a good credit rating or a history of not paying their debts? You want tenants who will willingly take responsibility and pay for any damage their pet causes.

There are disrespectfull and resentfull tenants who have an us vs. them mentality when it concerns the landlord/tenant relationship. Some view all landlords as evil capitalists who are taking advantage of them. If they don't respect you, they will not respect your property, and they will cause nothing but trouble.
okanagan_sports
Fledgling

Post by okanagan_sports »

1669 wrote:When deciding whether to rent to someone with a dog, I always meet the dog before signing the lease. Is the dog well socialized and friendly, or is it agressive? Some people have large breeds primarily for the purpose of intimidation, and encourage agressiveness. Is it obedience trained? Will the dog sit and stay on command? Responsible pet owners socialize and train their pets. Irresponsible pet owners do not.

Are the tenants kind, well mannered, respectable, responsible, and respectfull? Obviously the tenant will want to make a good impression in order to get the keys, so a background check is necessary to weed out bad tenants. Can they afford the rent and utilities, and for any damage their pet causes? Do they have a good credit rating or a history of not paying their debts? You want tenants who will willingly take responsibility and pay for any damage their pet causes.

There are disrespectfull and resentfull tenants who have an us vs. them mentality when it concerns the landlord/tenant relationship. Some view all landlords as evil capitalists who are taking advantage of them. If they don't respect you, they will not respect your property, and they will cause nothing but trouble.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 27th, 2014, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the insults.
In the battle between the Lion and the Wolf, the Lion shall kick the Wolf's *bleep* !
okanagan_sports
Fledgling

1669 wrote:
I should also mention that I can legally enter my property whether you are home or not. Trespassing lol. Not on my own property. Your knowledge of the law is about eqaul to your choice of language.

Regarding a Human Rights complaint, your pet is not a human, and has no human rights.

You are correct, you can enter the rental with 24 hours written notice. However, if you chose to inspect the unit at 5 am or at some unreasonable ungawdly hour, you can kiss goodbye your credibility as a businessman.

Therefore, It is in your best interests to choose a time convenient to both you and the tenant, with the tenant present.

You seem like the type that goes behind the tenants back and visits the unit, which is HIGHLY UNETHICAL.

*removed*

Regarding the rights of pets, yes, all pets ARE protected under the various provincial animal cruelty laws of British Columbia.

Any landlord who deliberately injures a tenant's pet can be subject to criminal prosecution, including heavy fines and/or including jail time.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 27th, 2014, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic comments removed.
In the battle between the Lion and the Wolf, the Lion shall kick the Wolf's *bleep* !
Guru

Post by 1669 »

You are correct, you can enter the rental with 24 hours written notice. However, if you chose to inspect the unit at 5 am or at some unreasonable ungawdly hour, you can kiss goodbye your credibility as a businessman.

Therefore, It is in your best interests to choose a time convenient to both you and the tenant, with the tenant present.

You seem like the type that goes behind the tenants back and visits the unit, which is HIGHLY UNETHICAL.

*removed*

Regarding the rights of pets, yes, all pets ARE protected under the various provincial animal cruelty laws of British Columbia.

Any landlord who deliberately injures a tenant's pet can be subject to criminal prosecution, including heavy fines and/or including jail time.[/quote]

I do inspections at a mutually agreeable time b/w 9 am - 9 pm. Whether the tenant is home or not, all of my inspections are performed legally.Videotape all you like, if the property is damaged, I welcome more evidence. I'm not there to hurt your pet. Animal cruelty? Where did you get that idea? LOL If I didn't like pets, I simply would not rent to them in the first place.

This thread is about rentals that allow dogs. *removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 27th, 2014, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic comment removed.
okanagan_sports
Fledgling

1669 wrote:You are correct, you can enter the rental with 24 hours written notice. However, if you chose to inspect the unit at 5 am or at some unreasonable ungawdly hour, you can kiss goodbye your credibility as a businessman.

*removed*

Any landlord who deliberately injures a tenant's pet can be subject to criminal prosecution, including heavy fines and/or including jail time.

I do inspections at a mutually agreeable time b/w 9 am - 9 pm. Whether the tenant is home or not, all of my inspections are performed legally.Videotape all you like, if the property is damaged, I welcome more evidence. I'm not there to hurt your pet. Animal cruelty? Where did you get that idea? LOL If I didn't like pets, I simply would not rent to them in the first place.

This thread is about rentals that allow dogs. *removed*[/quote]

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 27th, 2014, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attacks removed.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 27th, 2014, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic comment removed.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 27th, 2014, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attacks removed.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Back. On. Topic. This thread is about rental units that allow dogs. It's not about who can or can't spell.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Post by Jaide_d »

]quote="kgcayenne"]Jaide'd, the RTA has wording clarifying that it includes illegal suites. I believe the reasoning is this: Whether the suite is legal or not is a municipal bylaw issue, rentals are under Provincial law through the RTA.

Correct. All suites, legal or illegal, are subject to the same laws under the RTA. They don't care what each individual municipality has deemed to be illegal. Provincial law takes precedence over any municipal bylaw.

Very common for tenants who damage property to somehow think they are not responsible for damages they cause, bc the suite is "illegal". They are still liable according to the RTA.[/quote]

Sure, property damaged is still damaged property, regardless of who does it.
I was talking about entering without 24 hours notice, which is still illegal.
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Post by Jaide_d »

1669 wrote:When deciding whether to rent to someone with a dog, I always meet the dog before signing the lease. Is the dog well socialized and friendly, or is it agressive? Some people have large breeds primarily for the purpose of intimidation, and encourage agressiveness. Is it obedience trained? Will the dog sit and stay on command? Responsible pet owners socialize and train their pets. Irresponsible pet owners do not.

Great post, I have to agree with you on all fronts. I would want to work the same way, if I were a landlord. I like to think I would give people and their pets an opportunity to make an impression on me, rather than assuming all tenants and their animals are going to ruin the place and disrespect you, and therefore blanket everyone the same.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

, so a background check is necessary to weed out bad tenants.
i have rented to people, this means nothing in terms of who might abuse your property

Return to “Social Concerns”