Rentals that allow dogs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rookie314
Übergod

Re: Rentals that allow dogs

Post by rookie314 »

I have had great tenants with pets. I respect them, they respect me. Most of the discussion here are just stereotyping.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

rookie314 wrote:I have had great tenants with pets. I respect them, they respect me. Most of the discussion here are just stereotyping.

From the number of different landlords commenting on this forum about having their properties wrecked by pets, you can hardly call it stereotyping.
okanagan_sports
Fledgling

Post by okanagan_sports »

1669 wrote:
You cannot name one question I ask that violates the Human Rights Act. If you are going to make accusations they should be specific.

You once admitted to this forum that you park by the side of the road, wait for your tenants to leave their homes, then enter the rental (illegally) while they are not home !

For you (and all other landlords) who do the same, try doing that at MY HOME !

Your sorry *ss would be arrested by the cops for trespassing and off to jail you would go !
In the battle between the Lion and the Wolf, the Lion shall kick the Wolf's *bleep* !
okanagan_sports
Fledgling

Post by okanagan_sports »

rookie314 wrote:I have had great tenants with pets. I respect them, they respect me. Most of the discussion here are just stereotyping.

I have also rented to people with pets, with the same positive experiences, as you. Kelowna is notorious for mean-spirited defamation and demonization, which can be cured by a honking, 100 million $ human rights lawsuit.

if you keep tormenting the badmouther with one lawsuit after another, eventually, they will shut up, go insane and/or move from town, all outcomes are good.
In the battle between the Lion and the Wolf, the Lion shall kick the Wolf's *bleep* !
Guru

Post by 1669 »

You once admitted to this forum that you park by the side of the road, wait for your tenants to leave their homes, then enter the rental (illegally) while they are not home !

Your sorry *ss would be arrested by the cops for trespassing and off to jail you would go ![/quote]

You obviously have no idea that I can enter any property I own as long as I have given the tenant 24 hours written notice. It's my property and I am not trespassing. If you refuse me entry, I will evict you.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

I have also rented to people with pets, with the same positive experiences, as you. Kelowna is notorious for mean-spirited defamation and demonization, which can be cured by a honking, 100 million $ human rights lawsuit.

if you keep tormenting the badmouther with one lawsuit after another, eventually, they will shut up, go insane and/or move from town, all outcomes are good.[/quote]

I'm also a lawyer, and I can tell you that it is perfectly legal to refuse to rent to anyone with pets. You have no grounds to sue anyone bc they refuse to rent to you and your pet.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

If your tenant refuses you entry once the written notice to inspect has taken effect is not grounds to evit under the Act.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

When documents are considered to have been received
90 A document given or served in accordance with section 88[how to give or serve documents generally] or 89 [special rules for certain documents] is deemed to be received as follows:

(a) if given or served by mail, on the 5th day after it is mailed;
(b) if given or served by fax, on the 3rd day after it is faxed;
(c) if given or served by attaching a copy of the document to a door or other place, on the 3rd day after it is attached;
(d) if given or served by leaving a copy of the document in a mail box or mail slot, on the 3rd day after it is left.

As well hand to hand serving of said document deems the document to be received. Sliding any document under the rental door no matter the significance of the document will be deemed not received regardless of the passage of time.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Your sorry *ss would be arrested by the cops for trespassing and off to jail you would go ![/quote]

I should also mention that I can legally enter my property whether you are home or not. Trespassing lol. Not on my own property. Your knowledge of the law is about eqaul to your choice of language.

Regarding a Human Rights complaint, your pet is not a human, and has no human rights.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

1669:
We are renters with pets. This is how the law reads

Residential Tenancy Act
A landlord may enter a tenant’s rental unit only when:
 an emergency exists and the entry is
necessary to protect life or property.
 tenant is at home and agrees to let the
landlord in.
 tenant agreed, not more than 30 days before,
to let the landlord enter.
 tenant was given at least 24 hours and not
more than 30 days written notice before entry telling the purpose for entering, which must be reasonable, and the date and time of entering, which must be between 8:00 am and 9:00 pm unless the tenant otherwise agrees.
 tenant has abandoned the rental unit.
 tenant lives in a hotel and someone comes in
to clean the room; or,
 landlord has an arbitrator’s order or court
order to enter the rental unit.
The landlord can conduct a monthly inspection if proper notice is given to the tenant.
A landlord can also enter any common areas, or the property, at any time without giving the tenant notice.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

If so, then why the bs and bravado? Sorry...I misread.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

I currently provide housing for 9 dogs in my rental properties. No cats. All of my tenants are long term and responsible pet owners. But I have also had irresponsible pet owners whose pets have caused thousands in damages. It is far riskier renting to people with pets, but when you do find responsible pet owners as tenants, they tend to stay a long time bc it is so difficult to find pet friendly rentals.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

Yes, it is extremely difficult. We offer to pay a deposit, as well as sign a paper taking full responsibility for our animals. If there was ever any sort of damage, we would fix it to the landlords liking. The two rentals we have had we have left in far better shape inside and out than we got them in and have been in this place for 4 years with zero complaints...so yes, there are responsible pet owners/renters. Good on you for realizing. (We have 2 dogs, a cat, a parrot and also horses.)
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Post by Jaide_d »

1669 wrote:

I should also mention that I can legally enter my property whether you are home or not. Trespassing lol. Not on my own property. Your knowledge of the law is about eqaul to your choice of language.

Regarding a Human Rights complaint, your pet is not a human, and has no human rights.

When you are renting a legal suite, you are NOT allowed to enter the rental without 24 hrs notice. When you are renting an illegal suite, well its illegal so you could get in a fair bit of trouble if the tenant reports the illegal suite.

Return to “Social Concerns”