In two months, global warming pause can vote

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Re: In 2 months, Global Warming pause can vote

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

Glacier wrote:ETA: Here is the graph for you. I had also posted it above, but it here it is again just in case you've forgotten.

17years10months.png

Glacier, your graph ends in March. The news release stated that both May and June were record breaking months, so your graph does not cover the new data. If these months are "record breaking" then they would have a positive temperature anomaly. That would start to put a positive slope on your trend curve, correct?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

No, the graph does end in June, but for some reason doesn't show the end date.

The past 5 months were as follows:
February = 0.162 above the mean
March = 0.214 above mean
April = 0.251 above mean
May = 0.286 above mean
June = 0.345 above mean

I spot a trend. How about you?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

Glacier wrote:No, the graph does end in June, but for some reason doesn't show the end date.

The past 5 months were as follows:
February = 0.162 above the mean
March = 0.214 above mean
April = 0.251 above mean
May = 0.286 above mean
June = 0.345 above mean

I spot a trend. How about you?

Looks like its going up to me. It will be interesting to see how the next few months play out! Thanks for the data.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

ForestfortheTrees wrote:Looks like its going up to me. It will be interesting to see how the next few months play out! Thanks for the data.

There is talk of another strong El Nino year, and if this happens the pause will be put to rest.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Somewhat encouragingly, the East Antarctic Ice Sheet is gaining mass. However, those gains are very modest and don't make up for the loss of ice in West Antarctica and Greenland. Greenland is losing 350 cubic kilometers of ice annually, mostly from its southwestern coast, and accounts for almost 75 percent of the total volume lost each year. Together, the flows from Antarctica and Greenland could cover the entire Chicagoland area with 600 meters of ice each year.

The glacier melting the fastest among those measured was the Jakobshavn Glacier in Greenland and the Pine Island Glacier in West Antarctica. The Jakobshavn Glacier is descending into the ocean at a rate of 46 meters -- or half a football field -- each day. Last year, a chunk of ice twice the size of Detroit broke off the tip of the Pine Island Glacier.

Robert Bindschadler of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center recently contributed to a similar study for the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. "Rising sea level is widely regarded as a current and ongoing result of climate change that directly affects hundreds of millions of coastal dwellers around the world and indirectly affects billions more that share its financial costs," he said in a press release. By 2100, ice melt from Antarctica alone could add up to 37 centimeters, or more than 14 inches, to global sea levels.

Another study published in the journal Science this month shows that in the last 20 years, human-caused climate change has become the primary driver of glacial melt.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/2 ... ref=canada
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

July 2014 is a lot warmer than average globally, so we have dropped down to 17 years and 9 months without warming.

Global Temperature RSS July 2014.png
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

As for the sea ice, the Antarctic is still at record highs while the Arctic is well below average. This means total sea ice is ever so slightly above average.

antarctic_sea_ice_extent_zoomed_2014_day_232_1981-2010.png

arctic_sea_ice_extent_zoomed_2014_day_232_1981-2010.png

global_sea_ice_extent_zoomed_2014_day_232_1981-2010.png
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:July 2014 is a lot warmer than average globally, so we have dropped down to 17 years and 9 months without warming.

Global Temperature RSS July 2014.png

sorry i will believe scientist over someone making up their own graphs lol
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i find it amazing the caliber of researchers your accusing of lying, tsk tsk , maybe try a journal other than sun news
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

lakevixen wrote: sorry i will believe scientist over someone making up their own graphs lol

Actually, the above data was taken right off the RSS website. Here is the link to the raw data. Feel free to graph it yourself. The data does not lie, and thus not one scientist disagrees with the above chart.
- Douglas Murray
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I don't like the term "global warming". That being said, something like 90% of the scientists agree that climate change is occurring, and believe that mankind is, in some way, contributing to that climate change. I'm more willing to support the majority of scientists than a Castanet poster.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

FreeRights wrote:I don't like the term "global warming". That being said, something like 90% of the scientists agree that climate change is occurring, and believe that mankind is, in some way, contributing to that climate change. I'm more willing to support the majority of scientists than a Castanet poster.

90+% of scientists also know that the above graph is accurate, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. People on both sides of the fence tend to agree on the facts, but disagree with the conclusions, so perhaps that's what you're getting at?
- Douglas Murray
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: In two months, global warming pause can vote

Post by hobbyguy »

Looking at the July data from NOAA is interesting. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/

Global ocean temperatures for July 2014 were the record warmest in the geologically short 135 year measurement period.

The forecast probability for an El Nino event is 65%. That could mean a mild winter for BC. http://globalnews.ca/news/1359147/el-nino-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters/
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Social Concerns”