Abolish the corporate income tax

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Abolish the corporate income tax

Post by Glacier »

At first I viewed Andrew Coyne's idea as one that robs Peter to pay Paul, but then I got to thinking about my TFSA, and now I'm in support of his idea. Here is why. Any money I save goes into a TFSA whereby I buy stocks. Now since the account is a tax-free account, I have a disincentive to buy Canada stocks because I'm saving more potential tax money by investing in foreign stocks. If there were no corporate tax, this disincentive would be gone.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Makes sense to me. At the end of the day, corporations do not pay tax anyways, the consumer pays it. If a company does not make enough after-tax profit then they either they cut costs (job loss) or raise prices.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The corporate tax rate in Canada and the US is among the highest in the world. The reason corporations don't pay that rate is they are able to move profits overseas to countries that provide a tax haven. Small to medium sized businesses who can't do this end up paying more than their fair share. Not a great thing when you consider they create the majority of jobs in the economy. But I can see the logic in this notion of zero taxes for corporations. In the end the current system only incentivizes taking profits overseas and reduces investment domestically.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Actually no, Canada's corporate tax rate is the lowest in the G7, and maybe, maybe just barely above China. http://taxfoundation.org/blog/canada-cuts-corporate-tax-rate-15-lowest-overall-rate-g-7

Add in the rorting, and the contributions to the federal tax revenues have declined a whole bunch. The movement of money to tax havens is not supposed to happen, but when you have a government that believes in corporatism, it does.

Giving in, and declaring surrender to the corporatist forces that are running "our" government by removing the corporate tax rate altogether? Now that is defeatism. And the end of what few shreds of democracy we have left.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Social Concerns”