Parents, your opinion - Kids and concerts

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
WhatThe

Parents, your opinion - Kids and concerts

Post by WhatThe »

I'm not a parent, never had children. I now, however, have a step son. 11 years old.
Bare (<<< is that the correct usage?) in mind I know nothing of raising kids.

Is it appropriate or in-appropriate to take an 11 year old boy to the Alice in chains concert?
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Parents, your opinion - Kids and concerts

Post by StraitTalk »

WhatThe wrote:I'm not a parent, never had children. I now, however, have a step son. 11 years old.
Bare (<<< is that the correct usage?) in mind I know nothing of raising kids.

Is it appropriate or in-appropriate to take an 11 year old boy to the Alice in chains concert?

(Preface, not a parent.)

Who decides? There are so many factors that play into something like this, and when it comes to music I really don't feel it's fair to say it's inappropriate to see one artist and not another - not unless your music is a vehicle for some sort of hate speech or weird stuff like that.

If I had an 11 year old son and he told me he wanted to go see Alice in Chains I'd make damn sure I took him. Music is something very close to all of us and I think it's important to enrich children's lives with arts/creativity so that they don't lose it as they grow older. Stick around with your child and make sure they're safe, as rock concerts can get rowdy as we all know. Don't leave them there alone.

I don't see the problem here. When I look at people I grew up with, it's the sheltered ones that ended up getting into the most trouble anyway.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Compared to the stuff 11 years are listening to these days, Alice in Chains is pretty tame. At least they aren't twerking on stage.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Why make it forbidden? I've taken my kids to concerts before. My parents set the standard; you may not always like their music but turn it into a special experience for them, more special than what they might run into later.
I haven't failed until I quit.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I think the greater concern should be of permanent hearing loss. In my opinion, earplugs are a must.

The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders reports approximately 28 million Americans have lost some or all of their hearing, including 17 in 1,000 children under age 18. Noise exposure is increasingly common in the age of iPods and other personal music players. Overexposure to noise can cause both temporary and permanent hearing loss.

LOUDNESS OF COMMON SOUNDS

30 decibels (dBa) Whisper

60 decibels Normal Conversation

60 - 80 decibels Cars to a close observer

Above 85 decibels Can cause permanent hearing loss

Although 10 million Americans suffer irreversible noise-induced hearing loss, with 30 million more exposed to dangerous noise levels each day, very little has been reported on the risk of such hearing loss in children...

WHY EARPLUGS ARE IMPORTANT AT CONCERTS

Parents should be aware that various medical studies have found sound levels at rock concerts often to be significantly higher than 85 dBA, with some reports suggesting that sound intensity may reach 90 dBA to as high as 122 dBA.

To experience 85 dBA, listen to an electric shaver or a busy urban street. If levels are maintained at values greater than 85 dBA for long periods of time, this may lead to a significant noise exposure. Frequent concertgoers may experience some potentially irreversible hearing loss from their experience.

A research study, "Incidence of spontaneous hearing threshold shifts during modern concert performances" (Opperman, Reifman, Schlauch, Levine; Otol-HNS 2006, 134:4: 667-673), examined sound intensity throughout a well known concert venue, and the effectiveness of earplugs. The findings stated that sound pressure levels appeared equally hazardous in all parts of the concert hall, regardless of the type of music played. Accordingly, you should use earplugs at every type of musical concert, regardless of your distance to the stage.

A good rule of thumb: When a child accompanies a parent to any activity or location with excessive noise, ear protection should be worn by the entire family.

http://www.entnet.org/content/noise-induced-hearing-loss-children
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

That age is more than ready. My kids are younger than that and have been to a few shows. They love the atmosphere and the music. I say go for it and have fun! And yes, bring earplugs.

My first concert was the Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magic tour in Vancouver. I took the Greyhound down to the coast and met up with my cousin at the station and then took the city bus down to the show and then went back to her house after in Burnaby. We were 12 and had a great time.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

coffeeFreak wrote:I think the greater concern should be of permanent hearing loss. In my opinion, earplugs are a must.

I totally agree with that! Any concert I attend I bring them, mainly because it filters out the harsh echos and lets me actually hear the music :/ And my daughter was quite willing to wear them (which surprised me, because you know how sensitive young teens can be about public appearances; quite proud of her).
I haven't failed until I quit.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I too would absolutely take him to the show. I'd be thrilled that he's showing an interest in music of any kind, and especially a band like AiC, which offers a lot more songwriting depth and musicianship than many of the acts pre-adolescents are exposed to.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

An excellent opportunity to expose them to drugs and satanism. Just read "man in the box" lyrics.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Hmmm wrote:An excellent opportunity to expose them to drugs and satanism. Just read "man in the box" lyrics.

where's the eyeroll emoticon when you need it!

I saw Jerry Cantrell live at a metallica concert and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Kudos to your kid for having cool taste in music when there is so much crap out there. I vote take him!
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Oxl3y wrote:
where's the eyeroll emoticon when you need it!
It is what it is. There are satanists in this world and this band attracts them. And yes there will be drug use there. These are just facts and if the OP wanted the other side of the coin, then he should know what WILL be there.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Hmmm wrote:It is what it is. There are satanists in this world and this band attracts them. And yes there will be drug use there. These are just facts and if the OP wanted the other side of the coin, then he should know what WILL be there.

You aren't wrong about the drugs but you should have left it at that. How exactly would the child know that someone was a Satanist? Will they be sacrificing virgins to get a second encore? Maybe they will have a booth set up "Did you enjoy the concert? Maybe Satanism is for you!".

As for the drugs either explain what that funny smell is or just tell them its a skunk and save that conversation for later.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Hmmm wrote:An excellent opportunity to expose them to drugs and satanism. Just read "man in the box" lyrics.

I dont think you understand those lyrics at all
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Oxl3y wrote:
You aren't wrong about the drugs but you should have left it at that. How exactly would the child know that someone was a Satanist? Will they be sacrificing virgins to get a second encore? Maybe they will have a booth set up "Did you enjoy the concert? Maybe Satanism is for you!".

As for the drugs either explain what that funny smell is or just tell them its a skunk and save that conversation for later.

I'm not saying they are performing a satanic ritual, but the place will have satanism prominently on display.

"Devil Horns"

As for man in the box lyrics not being satanic, I don't care what the writer says it really means, because occult members are supposed to lie about it, thats what occult is, hidden knowledge. The video as well as the lyrics says it all. "deny your maker" prominently sang over and over with intensity. That is satanic.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Hmmm wrote:I'm not saying they are performing a satanic ritual, but the place will have satanism prominently on display.

"Devil Horns"

As for man in the box lyrics not being satanic, I don't care what the writer says it really means, because occult members are supposed to lie about it, thats what occult is, hidden knowledge. The video as well as the lyrics says it all. "deny your maker" prominently sang over and over with intensity. That is satanic.

Yep...where's that eyeroll emoticon...

Return to “Social Concerns”