Gas stations aren't the only ones that raise prices

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Gas stations aren't the only ones that raise prices

Post by Glacier »

I hadn't eaten out for lunch in a month, so I went for a walk down main street looking for something to eat. Typically, the usual suspects had their prices listed outside their doors: "Chinese Buffet: $10.99" ... etc. BUT every single sign outside on the street was void of a price this week. This is a sure sign (no pun intended) that they all raised their prices at the same time. Since I hadn't suffered from ring-o'-fire in a while, I ventured into my favourite Indian buffet for lunch. Yup, $2 more than it was 3 months ago. That would be a price increase close to 20%.

Funny how we never cry about price fixing when all the restaurants raise their prices at the same time, but we do when the gas stations do it. We are a strange species.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
driveangry
Übergod

Re: Gas Stations aren't the only ones that raise prices

Post by driveangry »

Eating out isn't a necessity, at least for my family, as is fuel for our vehicles. I enjoy cooking for my family and when the kids get involved it makes it even a greater pleasure.

Fuel has become a necessity. When a necessity becomes a cash grab due to taxes and greed, it's time to be vocal and show our displeasure.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Gas affects the prices of everything else. If food prices go up because it's more expensive to ship the products up here to us, then the restaurants buying those products need to adjust their rates accordingly to maintain the same profit margin.

the difference is, the profit margins for the restaurants aren't in the multi billions of dollars, and their CEO's and managers don't own 3 story summer mansions.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:the difference is, the profit margins for the restaurants aren't in the multi billions of dollars, and their CEO's and managers don't own 3 story summer mansions.

You're absolutely right. I can't think of any restaurants making billions of dollars...

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Bwahahaha...that was way too easy. Just goes to show these social justice fools can't or won't think before they post this stupidity.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I get the price increase concern and for me it isn't a question of how much the meal may cost as much as how good the meal is.

I hate paying 100% for 60 or 70% in return.

Most restaurants in this area (Okanagan) are just OK.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Most restaurants in this area (Okanagan) are just OK.

So true, not much stands out and if you get an excellent meal somewhere you can almost guaranty when you go back it will disappoint.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Yep, there is no way in hell I would eat anything at any of them.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Glacier wrote:You're absolutely right. I can't think of any restaurants making billions of dollars...

Sorry I thought you were referring to restaurants. Not fast food franchises. Pretty sure the "CEO" of Yellow House or Cabanas or Beet and Boo's aren't aren't out buying their second boat right now.

WhenWhatWho wrote:Bwahahaha...that was way too easy. Just goes to show these social justice fools can't or won't think before they post this stupidity.

Was this directed at me? What part of anything I posted had to do with social justice? Perhaps you are the fool who should think before they post.

My post simply stated that if gas prices go up, as will the prices of commodities and services which require gas to operate/deliver to maintain a profit margin. It's basic economics and capitalism.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Omnitheo wrote:Was this directed at me? What part of anything I posted had to do with social justice? Perhaps you are the fool who should think before they post.

My post simply stated that if gas prices go up, as will the prices of commodities and services which require gas to operate/deliver to maintain a profit margin. It's basic economics and capitalism.

A litle touchy are we? LOL

Your post aluded to the fact oil companies make too much profit and the local restaurants can't feed the masses with cheap food and still make a profit. That's SJ to me. Cheap restaurant food is not a right.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

WhenWhatWho wrote:
Your post aluded to the fact oil companies make too much profit and the local restaurants can't feed the masses with cheap food and still make a profit. That's SJ to me. Cheap restaurant food is not a right.

Nope, not what I was getting at. I'm saying that as a general rule, business is going to maintain a particular profit margin, and if their costs go up, they will pass those costs on to consumers. Oil just happens to be one of those expenses that underlines a large number of things.

My original response was to try and justify why I may direct more distaste about rising prices towards the oil industry than say restaurants or other smaller businesses.

Also I accidentally liked your post and my phone wouldn't give me the option to unlike it. Oh well, it was alright I guess, even if based on a misunderstanding
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Omnitheo wrote:Nope, not what I was getting at. I'm saying that as a general rule, business is going to maintain a particular profit margin, and if their costs go up, they will pass those costs on to consumers. Oil just happens to be one of those expenses that underlines a large number of things.

My original response was to try and justify why I may direct more distaste about rising prices towards the oil industry than say restaurants or other smaller businesses.

Also I accidentally liked your post and my phone wouldn't give me the option to unlike it. Oh well, it was alright I guess, even if based on a misunderstanding

We may not be that far apart then. I'll chalk it up to a misunderstanding and offer you an apology.

I think a lot of large corporation profits are obscene also but I will defend their right to make it.

I returned the 'like' so we're even. LOL
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Gas stations aren't the only ones that raise prices

Post by Dizzy1 »

How many times a year do gas stations raise their prices and how many times a year do restaurants raise their prices? Do restaurants raise their prices before a long weekend or add a long weekend surcharge? Do restaurants raise their prices every time a car bomb goes off in some obscure part of the world?

Its not the fact that gas stations raise prices, its not the basics of supply and demand and its not the fact that oil is a commodity on the global markets ... its the illogical reasoning the oil companies have in raising or lowering prices. One week this is the reason, the other week its the opposite. Its how fuel can go up when the price of oil goes up and then next week the price of fuel goes up even though the price of oil drops. Its how fuel can get jacked up 10 cents a liter overnight but then takes weeks to trickle on down by a penny here and there.

How many restaurants charge the exact same price for a burger and fries? If restaurant A ups their price a dime, does restaurant B follow suit within 24hrs? If you don't want to pay $15 for a burger and fries you can go across the street and get it for $8. You want to fill your car but you don't want to pay 135.9 a liter, go across the street and guess what you pay ... 135.9 a liter.

There is competition in the food industry but there sure as heck ain't in the oil industry, at least not in Canada.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Gas stations aren't the only ones that raise prices

Post by Glacier »

^ Finally a post in this thread that makes sense!
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”