Violence Against Women--It's a Men's Issue!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Violence Against Women--It's a Men's Issue!

Post by coffeeFreak »

This excellent video is well worth spending the twenty minutes it takes to listen to.

Jackson Katz, Phd, is an anti-sexist activist and expert on violence, media and masculinities. An author, filmmaker, educator and social theorist, Katz has worked in gender violence prevention work with diverse groups of men and boys in sports culture and the military, and has pioneered work in critical media literacy.Katz is the creator and co-founder of the Mentors in Violence Prevention (MVP) program, which advocates the 'bystander approach' to sexual and domestic violence prevention. You've also seen him in the award winning documentary "MissRepresentation."

Atomoa
Guru

Re: Violence Against Women--It's a Men's Issue!

Post by Atomoa »

I hope the speaker also expects women, when in a group with no men present, to not talk in derogatory terms about men.

....yeah.

There goes "The View" (if your man wont marry you poke a hole in the condom) and Cosmopolitan (destroy his life and property if he cheats). Oh and almost every commercial out there.

Men - we suck.

Edit in - If a man ever said to me, in a group setting of men "I'm going to carve out that cheating #$#$ 's uterus" I would report them to the police, just like every other man. That's insane.

Now, same situation, with woman. Insert your favorite "chop off the penis joke" here (so funny!)

Same onus?

The percentage of men who rape, and assault women is fractional. I dont hang out with criminals. I take offense to people suggesting that just because I have a penis that my "social circle" must at least contain some rapists or wifebeaters that I need to talk too.

I believe the first actual step in preventing women's violence is men NOT ACCEPTING that by default they are terrible. I'm not a wife beater or a rapist and I don't know any. I don't accept that men have been "classed" as such and thus 1. I don't accept the behavior if I do encounter it and 2. the weaker minded men will not use it as a excuse of justification. If you tell someone they are a criminal their whole lives without them committing a offense...eventually they are going to start acting like how you treat them.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Atomoa wrote: Men - we suck.

Man, you sure got a chip on your shoulder.
Always trying to deflect and make excuses.
I wonder what that's about?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Is this another "well, women can be bad too!" topic?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Please watch the video before commenting, otherwise discussing the "topic" is not based on any understanding of what Jackson Katz spoke about and is totally off topic.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Criminals are criminals. Men are men. Men are not criminals by default.

And Steven, you're getting to be nasty.

"I wonder what's that about"?.

A : I enjoy discussing men's issues and especially countering crazy views like this. I will not accept the criminal/absuer/rapist by default placeholder that is being placed on men. That's what this is about. I like passionate debate Steven.

Violence against women is a CRIMINAL issue. It is not a "mans" issue.

If I'm going to sit thru a speech suggesting that when I'm hanging around my friends who think its ok to beat or hurt women, that I should say something then I am going take issue with it. Who here hangs out with or knows wife-beaters or people who run women down? Our grandfathers? Should I try to correct a 90 year old man on his deathbed about his 1950's views on women? Come on men - apparently we all know at least a few!

"The language that leads to..."

Pick up any womens magazine. Pick up a mens magazine. You wont read about "10 fun ways to destroy your ex's life" or any genital mutilation jokes at the expense of women in the men's magazine.

I'm discussing the issue. Other's are discussing me, discussing the issue. Interesting.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Atomoa wrote: I don't accept that men have been "classed" as such ....
Atomoa wrote: I will not accept the criminal/absuer/rapist by default placeholder that is being placed on men.

This is a very important topic. Trying to pretend it is a non-issue has not worked. That’s why we don’t ignore the issue or pretend anymore. However, nobody engaging in intelligent discussion of this issue makes the presumption that all men, or even most men, are by default abusers. It is just you accusing every one else of that. I don’t know what’s going on for you but you sure get defensive about this topic. Methinks, that maybe, thou dost protest too much.

Return to “Social Concerns”