Designer Fruit & Bling Water?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Designer Fruit & Bling Water?

Post by Daspoot »

I think it must be hard to donate money from on top of that high horse.

I grow my own square watermelons, the key is to water the plants with nothing but Bling water.
On a different forum
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 19th, 2014, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic remark.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Thinktank wrote:*removed*

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 19th, 2014, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Both off-topic remarks removed.
mwalsh

Re: Show me your melons

Post by mwalsh »

LANDM wrote:I assume you do this with your purchases....go for the absolute least expensive and donate the balance, up to the value of a really expensive alternative, to charity?
Yes, it is just a thought, I bet. Why not live the dream and actually do it?

I don't have $200 to blow on a watermelon, so no I do not do that. I do however purchase reasonably priced, local whenever possible, groceries and products, support my local economy, and manage within my middle class income to regularly donate to various charities. I would suggest again, that anyone who perhaps feels the need to purchase a $200 watermelon (and the financial means to), perhaps choose the cheaper alternative (ei. The $3 watermelon) and donate the difference to a good cause as there are millions of struggling people who need a helping hand rather than choosing the ever growing western individualist consumerist values.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

As I stated before, buying a $200 watermelon is just the epitome of whats wrong with todays ultra selfish generation. Why? Because there is no value to it whatsoever, as it doesn't taste as good (supposedly), they're very small and they rot. It is an utter waste of one's money. Fancy cars, nice jewellery, big houses and even fancy holidays, do have value and benefits.

I can bet on the fact that the same person who walks into a store to buy a $200 watermelon will walk by a homeless man and say "sorry I don't have any money". PS they only will buy it so they can show off. Somewhere in the conversation the cost will just have to be brought up, or there was really no reason at all to buy it. Take that fact to the bank.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

A reason explained in the article states for growing square melons is that: "Japanese have different refrigerator".

Do they have square apples?
Square cherries?
Square honey melons?
Square beef?
Square oranges?
Square lychee?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hmmm wrote:As I stated before, buying a $200 watermelon is just the epitome of whats wrong with todays ultra selfish generation. Why? Because there is no value to it whatsoever, as it doesn't taste as good (supposedly), they're very small and they rot. It is an utter waste of one's money. Fancy cars, nice jewellery, big houses and even fancy holidays, do have value and benefits.

I can bet on the fact that the same person who walks into a store to buy a $200 watermelon will walk by a homeless man and say "sorry I don't have any money". PS they only will buy it so they can show off. Somewhere in the conversation the cost will just have to be brought up, or there was really no reason at all to buy it. Take that fact to the bank.

Exactly.

If someone wants to spend that on a watermelon, well then a fool will separated from his/her money no problem.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Hmmm wrote:As I stated before, buying a $200 watermelon is just the epitome of whats wrong with todays ultra selfish generation. Why? Because there is no value to it whatsoever, as it doesn't taste as good (supposedly), they're very small and they rot. It is an utter waste of one's money. Fancy cars, nice jewellery, big houses and even fancy holidays, do have value and benefits.

Well, for one, I wouldn't buy a $200 watermelon.

That said, I think you have a very skewed view of wealthy people. I do business with lots of them, and it's not a wealth competition with most of those people.

I live comfortably, but I'm not rich by any means - and I still wouldn't give money to a homeless person. Though I also wouldn't lie to them if I had cash on me.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

FreeRights wrote:That said, I think you have a very skewed view of wealthy people. I do business with lots of them, and it's not a wealth competition with most of those people.

I live comfortably, but I'm not rich by any means - and I still wouldn't give money to a homeless person. Though I also wouldn't lie to them if I had cash on me.
I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as skewed view goes. I have an extensive background that involves very rich people and I know nobody that would buy a $200 watermelon. I think it takes a very special kind of person to want to buy one. To me its like buying a $200 hamburger, it makes no sense and clearly a waste of money. The only reason I can think of is the "look at me factor".

Now if the money went to charity, different story. As far as giving to a homeless man, I am one that would not give to most of them because they will buy cigarettes, booze and other drugs in many cases, or I don't know what they would buy, so I don't.

That being said, if you're going to throw money away on a $200 watermelon, why not just find a homeless person or a charity to give to its better than throwing it in the trash.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

In case anyone is interested - note the year the square watermelon was invented.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1390088.stm

Now for the apple:

http://www.criticalzoologists.org/guide/22.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Would you guys feel better about this if they were only $100? Or $50? What price is ok to pay for a square watermelon in your opinion?

Also, do a search for "buddha pears". Amazing.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Jonrox wrote: What price is ok to pay for a square watermelon in your opinion?

Normally around $3.99, but I'd pay only $0.99, because it's deformed.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

If I ever get a house with my own garden, I'm so making myself some square watermelons. Frankenmelons will be my new hobby.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Check out the human face on a pumpkin - bet that novelty item would bring in some cash.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”