The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Post by whatwhat »

Atomoa wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8tToFv-bA

Their biggest spokesperson. Try researching (beyond your tumblr feed) before making such statements.

There are extremists in every group, just because a few people believe men are disposable, that doesn't mean that everyone does.
hail Satan y'all
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

whatwhat wrote:There are extremists in every group, just because a few people believe men are disposable, that doesn't mean that everyone does.

A few people? In 2015, with billions of people on the planet, if there is a sinking ship I am supposed to give up my seat on a lifeboat to a women. 93-97% workplace death rate and its not even a election issue.

You didnt watch the video, lol.
Last edited by Atomoa on Apr 9th, 2015, 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

whatwhat wrote:so I don't work hard, and have ambition because I want to be paid an equal wage for equal work? I work full time, go to college, come home and take care of my home. I am not just sitting around expecting to paid equally without putting in any work. The disrespect that comes with the idea that feminists just sit around not doing anything but expecting everything boggles my mind. We are not idiots, we know that hard work is needed to exceed in life. But when that hard work still comes with inequality is where the problem is.

Womens rights have come such a long way, but that doesn't mean that there still isn't inequality. Just because its better then it used to be, doesn't mean that should stop fighting for equal rights. And just because one person hasn't experienced the oppression does not mean that it doesn't exist. If it did not exist I don't believe there would be such a strong, passionate and large movement behind it. Its not like there are millions of people in the world just making up the oppression they experience.

I'm trying to understand, truly I am.

You say you're working alongside men who are doing exactly the same job and being paid more. There's no difference in your job requirements, no shift differential, no difference in seniority or experience, and yet you are being paid less per hour than they are. Am I understanding you correctly?

Because yes, that would be inequality. But if that is the case, it seems odd you'd have any men working alongside you, since your boss is able to hire women and pay them less. And if that's the case, it may well be that the men you're working alongside (and perhaps some of the women, too) have better negotiating skills.

And to me, this still does not equal oppression. Oppression is when you have no options, when you are powerless to improve your lot in life. If you're going to college, I expect you have an end goal which will improve yours. (You may not be getting there as fast as you'd like, but that's common to everyone, not just women.)

I wish you well in your chosen career, and I really recommend you take a look at the books I mentioned previously about negotiating skills. It certainly seems true that men are more willing to speak up about what they're worth right off the bat, and when you're done college it will be really helpful to go into the job marketplace with the ability and attitude to negotiate the best deal for yourself. Somehow this still seems to come more naturally to men, although of course that's another generalization that isn't always true. I know men who aren't being paid anywhere near what they're worth, either, and some women who are really, really good at calmly and firmly insisting on getting what they're worth. That's the camp you want to be in!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

The best way in my opinion to approach equality if you truly strive for equality is not to focus on men, or women, but on all people everywhere. I am friends with self-proclaimed feminists who are certainly quite negative about men, but this is not that common and isn't exclusive to women.

People seem to be afraid to celebrate our differences, and some feel that excluding one sex is automatically oppressive and/or hateful.
Last edited by StraitTalk on May 5th, 2015, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

http://goodmenproject.com/men-and-femin ... privilege/

It’s a woman’s world, Rachel Goodchild writes, and they now have all the privilege. I was raised a feminist. My mother was a feminist, and my father was too. When I was a girl, feminism was a noble pursuit- a drive to gain the equality (though now I prefer the word equity), that our mothers and grandmothers had not experienced. And it was needed. I do not doubt it, nor take for granted the ground that they took. We have perhaps forgotten how hard it was for women to do what they wanted in terms of partner choice, the choice to have children, attending school and universities, then work in a career of their choosing. And yes, I know that battle has not been won everywhere. There are countries or cultures where horrendous things happen to you if you are female. But in my country and in my culture, and in many other western countries, I would suggest the tide has well and truly turned. I have occasionally felt the sting of NOT being male – the invitation to join the “real men” at work when offered a leadership position, the fact that there was the assumption by the outside world, when my marriage broke up that it would be me that would care for my children, though I had also been the income earner (not that I opposed that I would, though the easy assumption did rankle), that I have struggled with that curious mix of needing pretty finery and makeup and eradication of hair in socially unacceptable places (except of course on my head!) to appear more professional, and so on, but I am very aware that I no longer live in a man’s world. This world is a woman’s world. And us females are now the humans holding the privilege. I try not to use it. But I know it’s there. I am all too aware the pendulum of power has swung, and being aware of that knowledge itself is enough. However I see women around me use our shared privilege all the time, and it does sicken me. ♦◊♦ If I were to use it, what would that look like? Well, let’s look at how the tides have turned. 1. I’m allowed to be far more open about my sexuality than a man is. In fact, if I’m bisexual, it’s encouraged (both male and females encourage it funnily enough). If I’m hetero, I’m allowed to make comments about how hot men are, compliment men without others thinking it’s harassment and generally can make lewd comments about any person, be them male or female, and it’s considered ok. I can say “I fancy him so much I’d even rape him” or “I need to pull him into the storeroom and show him I mean it” or “He is mega hot” about any male whether he is seventeen (I am forty) or seventy. I can sit in a Twilight movie and drool at Jacob (for instance), and not be seen as a dirty old woman. 2. If my partner and I were in a domestic dispute and both violent, or both shouting, and I hit him … if the police were called, my male partner would still be the one far more likely to be taken into custody for the night. If my male partner tried to report domestic violence, it would be harder for him to have the charges laid, than if I did so. In fact, while there is a charge of Male assaults Woman in my country, there is no Woman assaults Male. That would be classified instead as General Assault. 3. If my relationship with the father of my children was to break up, I’m far more likely to get the kids. And if I want a child, but don’t have a partner, I can do that too. I get to choose whether I have the baby or not, I get to choose whether the father’s name is on the birth certificate or not (and if he queries it, he’s the one who has to pay for the DNA test) and if he’s named as the father, he then has to pay child support, whether he was aware I was trying to have a child or not. 4. I’m allowed to be as education- and career-driven as I want to be, and push for the top, seeking equity and equality in everything. But when it comes to dating and relationships, I’ll want the dates paid for, the doors opened, the bling bought. And if I want to choose to not be career-driven, and be instead at home, and not work, then I can far more readily choose that option too than a male partner could. 5. If I write an inflammatory comment, or a blog, or article, and a man questions anything in it, all I need to do to shut the conversation down is call him a bully, or say he’s a privileged male. I can also make disparaging comments about his sexuality, his economic standing, the size of his penis, and his ability to do pretty much anything in return for him disagreeing with me. I can do this, because when I do, I KNOW there will be a bunch of other women who will stick up for me. Because as a woman … I now have privilege. —Photo Spec-ta-cles/Flickr - See more at: http://goodmenproject.com/men-and-femin ... ljBmd.dpuf
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

The exclusion of women from the registration process was challenged in the courts. A lawsuit brought by several men resulted in a 1980 U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania decision that the MSSA’s gender-based discrimination violated the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment.
The Commission also discussed enacting existing ground combat specialties exclusion policies into law to provide an additional barrier to the amendment of the MSSA to provide for the conscription of women.
In its subsequent report, the DoD position remained "that the restriction of females from assignments below the brigade level whose primary mission is to engage in direct combat on the ground, provides justification from exempting women from registration (and a draft) .
This has to be by far the biggest example of gender discrimination in north america and its 2015.
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

Pretty much sums it up :)
Attachments
6322159489_135cf21cf2.jpg
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

zoo wrote:The exclusion of women from the registration process was challenged in the courts. A lawsuit brought by several men resulted in a 1980 U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania decision that the MSSA’s gender-based discrimination violated the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment.
The Commission also discussed enacting existing ground combat specialties exclusion policies into law to provide an additional barrier to the amendment of the MSSA to provide for the conscription of women.
In its subsequent report, the DoD position remained "that the restriction of females from assignments below the brigade level whose primary mission is to engage in direct combat on the ground, provides justification from exempting women from registration (and a draft) .
This has to be by far the biggest example of gender discrimination in north america and its 2015.

Plenty of outdated laws exist in America today - that doesn't mean they are exercised or enforced, often just that they haven't been written out of law.

Hard to say for your example, because there hasn't been a draft in a very long time.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

StraitTalk wrote:Plenty of outdated laws exist in America today - that doesn't mean they are exercised or enforced, often just that they haven't been written out of law.

Hard to say for your example, because there hasn't been a draft in a very long time.

Yet men in the USA must still register for conscription within 30 days of their 18th birthday.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

The sisterhood rears it's head.
We're lost but we're making good time.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

[/quote]

Plenty of outdated laws exist in America today - that doesn't mean they are exercised or enforced, often just that they haven't been written out of law.

Hard to say for your example, because there hasn't been a draft in a very long time.[/quote]

Thats exactly what has been challenged in this article and these law suits of discrimination in supreme courts.
The sole existence and ability to exercise and enforce this law. and it held up with today's standards and demands of equality.
With all the forces of the feminists why would it not have been changed to just simply include women?
How could this law of obvious discrimination be fought today and not be accepted as unfair by both sides?
Pretty hypocritical is it not to just simply have changed the wording to include women? Isn't this something they should have stood up too and accept?
Its not the fact of the laws in place if ever needed, its that a male teenage boy in the states cannot have a drivers license, educational funding, medical etc. until "HE" signs over his life if needed.
And we dont see the outright hypocrisy in this???
Not to mention that women are protected from fighting in a front line combat position is also included in this law and upheld.
Only a support combat position.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

It's not just about the feminist movement. It's political correctness that is getting out of control.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Boy do I hear you no that one Rosemary1. Many of these groups are getting soooo far out they are starting to seriously hurt their causes more than their opponents.
Last edited by Smurf on Jul 28th, 2015, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Social Concerns”