The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Post by Glacier »

Huh? I'm a man, and I get it. Most men I know get it. I even go further than just get it. I reject Hollywood's objectification of women and sexualization of entertainment by Weinstein and his ilk have been promoting for decades. If you teach men that women are just sex objects to use as you please, you are going down the wrong road in my opinion.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Silverstarqueen wrote:The feminists are really getting out of control now, lining up in droves to sink Weinstein in a hail of allegations of sexual harrassement, misconduct, and sexual assault.
What is also concerning is the number of women who are claiming that this type of behavior occurs daily in the entertainment industry. So obviously it has been just an accepted, normal way of doing business for way too many, powerful, pathological men.
When are men going to "get it" that this behavior has to stop? It's way past time for them to clean up their act. Women in their daily business lives are not just there to fulfill their fantasies.

It occurs daily in every industry. I don't know one single woman that this type of behaviour hasn't happened to.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Yes, most every woman has experienced this, and probably more than once. But listening to the interviews with some of these women, they are saying it occurs daily (not just once in a while). That, I don't think is common (although maybe I've been living in a bubble).
It's also unfortunate that these guys can't seem to be nailed closer to the time of their behaviors. Even with this type of exposure of Weinstein (or Crosby, or Trump, etc.) it is so far after the fact that one guy at a time is managing to harrass and assault many many women, and essentially get away with it. Better late than never, but it is well known in controlling criminal or other infractions, behavior that is punished sooner rather than later is more likely to stop or be reduced, than behavior that is prosecuted much later. And these are only the worst perpetrators that are being exposed publicly, they have dozens of women they have offended against. What chance of catching a guy early in his carreer when there are only a few victims lined up (usually young women who can't risk putting their career in the toilet to prosecute some guy, usually unsuccessfully).
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The "casting couch" mentality certainly hasn't gone away.

Perhaps the entertainment industry is simply a preferred arena for predators, because they figure they are less likely to find such a large percentage of potential prey who are desperate to find a foothold in most other career streams.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

rustled wrote:The "casting couch" mentality certainly hasn't gone away.

Perhaps the entertainment industry is simply a preferred arena for predators, because they figure they are less likely to find such a large percentage of potential prey who are desperate to find a foothold in most other career streams.

It's in EVERY industry. My boss that used to ask if I wanted massages was in the printing industry. Some of my friends who experienced it worked in nursing, care homes, restaurants. We've seen many stories about sexual assault and harrassement in the RCMP. It goes on and on. This is a daily experience in women's lives and is not relegated to the entertainment industry.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote:
rustled wrote:The "casting couch" mentality certainly hasn't gone away.

It's in EVERY industry. My boss that used to ask if I wanted massages was in the printing industry. Some of my friends who experienced it worked in nursing, care homes, restaurants. We've seen many stories about sexual assault and harrassement in the RCMP. It goes on and on. This is a daily experience in women's lives and is not relegated to the entertainment industry.

Indeed.

However, my comment was not that it is relegated to the entertainment industry.

My comment was in regard to it seeming more prevalent in the entertainment industry.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Apparently not, JLives has convinced me. IT is possible that the transgressions in the entertainment industry come to light because a few women eventually get powerful enough to risk exposing the perps. In other fields, like nursing, RCMP, military,etc, women tend to stay in the lower eschelons, and can't risk their careers.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

When I tried to look up stats by industry the whole first page was regarding an epidemic in the tech industry. http://www.businessinsider.com/sexual-h ... try-2017-7

I think we just hear about it more because there's famous people in the entertainment industry.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

JLives wrote:It's in EVERY industry. My boss that used to ask if I wanted massages was in the printing industry. Some of my friends who experienced it worked in nursing, care homes, restaurants. We've seen many stories about sexual assault and harrassement in the RCMP. It goes on and on. This is a daily experience in women's lives and is not relegated to the entertainment industry.

Sadly that is the case, you'd have thought it would have gone by the wayside like smoking at your desk but I still see it happening with guys who do it unapologetically.

Last week I walked into an auto dealership, fancy place, looked more like a hotel lobby yet the behavior was something you'd expect on a gravel lot. A salesman had parked himself in the much younger receptionist's chair and wouldn't leave until she gave him a massage. I'm waiting there at the desk and as he's looking at me with a smirk he says, "cmon, just a quick massage", as though I'm going to play along. I just looked at her and could see the frustration and looked back at him and said, "you done?"
Then this weekend I saw it with a kilt wearing bartender who took full advantage of his lofty position by groping the waitresses every chance he got.

So while some say feminists have gone too far, when you see and hear what still goes on to this day, you begin to realize that the fact is they haven't gone far enough.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

It's not just at workplaces. My wife was pushing our little one in a stroller, and a car slowed down beside her so the driver could politely offer to "put another one of those in you". Or another guy at a restaurant offered to generously pay her to sit in his lap. Or the guy working at an establishment who came right in her space to scan her up and down, to state that he liked "her necklace".

It is amazing, as a guy, how you [myself included] can live in a bubble, and not get how unendingly degrading and dehumanizing this would be.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

The movie industry has been anti-feminist since its inception. No wonder than women get angry and frustrated at the state of affairs.
https://www.facebook.com/timelinenews/v ... kvUS73i0xU

alternate link for those who don't have facebook: https://vimeo.com/206436359
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Apparently not, JLives has convinced me. IT is possible that the transgressions in the entertainment industry come to light because a few women eventually get powerful enough to risk exposing the perps. In other fields, like nursing, RCMP, military,etc, women tend to stay in the lower eschelons, and can't risk their careers.

Ah. I thought we were looking at the final result in the entertainment industry.

I would hope Poindexter isn't witnessing what Ghomeshi, Cosby and Weinstein have been accused of! That said, like any form of abuse there's a continuum of escalation, and what's acceptable in the open is often what determines what happens at the extreme end.

I'd still think there may be more of the extreme end in the entertainment industry given how predators may view the "field", but perhaps not. Carry on...
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Oh the guys that pull these stunts definitely know how to play the game so that it is very difficult to prosecute. You can tell from the Weinstein recording (and Ghomeshi's and Crosby's behavior.) that they are very aware of how the public perceives their predatory behavior, and how to isolate a woman so that she is going to have a very hard time getting evidence to convict. They know exactly how the law works, how the police operate, and how to protect themselves from prosecution, and still get away with sexual assault. The women meanwhile are trying to figure out how not to create a scene in public, or how to conduct a career around these pariahs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Too far/out of control?

yeast.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Wimmin are finally getting it together to fight the cesspool in an attempt to combat the problem.
I wonder how many of those very angry feminists (who are so frequently trashed and criticized), are so angry because of the mistreatment and assaults they have suffered ? Those women who have a more secure position of power are the only ones to lead the fight, since so many other women just can't afford to risk their livelihood to come forward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/us/c ... sment.html

Return to “Social Concerns”