The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Postby Queen K » Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:19 am

KiloHotel wrote:Feminism is cancer.

I'm sure no one has died of feminism.

What makes you make the comparison? You're white, a guy and presumably are nerdy and you say this?
OH and 26.

At freaking 26 you have NO idea why women had to demand certain changes.

Try watching Mad Men, it's on Netflix. You may get a glimmer of an idea there to start.
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

Alice in Vernon likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14313 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:53 am

Queen K wrote:What makes you make the comparison?

Possibly in correlation to the disease invading cell to cell mutating them. Same idea, just on a social level.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2068 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:07 am

Not sure where you are going with that OkKayak. Is it that you're saying wimmen folk wouldn't have an idea in their heads if other wimmen folk didn't spread revolutionary ideas?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby OKkayak » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:14 am

Queen K wrote:Not sure where you are going with that OkKayak. Is it that you're saying wimmen folk wouldn't have an idea in their heads if other wimmen folk didn't spread revolutionary ideas?

Just expressing my interpretation of what the poster possibly meant.

Like everything in life, there's nothing wrong with a bit of feminism. But when something is taken too far, and you can't deny that some take it way too far, then I can see the analogy.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Queen K » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:17 am

I believe there is a Star Trek episode where the Captain and crew lands on a planet dominated by women.

The nightmare of what "too far" entails right? [icon_lol2.gif]
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby OKkayak » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:33 am

Queen K wrote:I believe there is a Star Trek episode where the Captain and crew lands on a planet dominated by women.

The nightmare of what "too far" entails right? [icon_lol2.gif]

http://trekkiefeminist.tumblr.com/post/ ... -angel-one
:biggrin:
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 22nd, 2019, 7:09 pm

Queen K wrote:

I'm sure no one has died of feminism.

What makes you make the comparison? You're white, a guy and presumably are nerdy and you say this?
OH and 26.

Try watching Mad Men, it's on Netflix. You may get a glimmer of an idea there to start.

Queen, I may not have lived it, but I do spend a fair bit of time trying to understand why things are the way they are. Feminism was great up until the 3rd wave, women achieved equality of opportunity and are now pushing for equality of outcome without taking into consideration the reasons for the differences in outcome. In fact, they are pushing for more than equality of outcome, I believe its now a push for power. I won't stand for it. There may still be some trivial, yet genuine inequities, but in the grand scheme of things women have equal rights.

Do male suicide rates say anything to your point about harmless feminism?

But I digress, I must be mansplaining.
KiloHotel
Fledgling

Liked in: 139 posts

Postby two_shoes1mit » Jan 22nd, 2019, 7:43 pm

Time to start building "man shelters."
two_shoes1mit
Fledgling

Liked in: 91 posts

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 22nd, 2019, 7:45 pm

two_shoes1mit wrote:Time to start building "man shelters."

Funny you mention that. I hesitate to share this because of the stigma, but my last girlfriend was diagnosed with Anti-Social personality disorder when I was with her, she was literally a psychopath incapable of feeling guilt, remorse, empathy, etc. The abuse I endured because of the fear induced by the web of lies and my own naivety was pretty intense. There was nowhere for me to turn. Might have been handy. One might argue I should have seen the red flags, but they were subtle, hidden behind a mask of charisma and a faux personality constructed by the psychopath to appeal to my own. I was so deep in denial when she started to show her real self I just kinda went along with it for way too long, mostly cause I was trapped in a lease with my name on it and once again having nowhere to turn.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who silently endured abuse from a woman and could have used somewhere to turn to, silently endured because of the stigma and sense of emasculation that comes with such a thing. Not only that but the police tend to believe the crying "defenseless" woman and whatever story she comes up with. Which was a threat I endured by the psychopath, that she'd just come up with some sorta *bleep*.
KiloHotel
Fledgling

Liked in: 139 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 22nd, 2019, 9:34 pm

I can sympathize. I met a guy like that long ago. I dropped him like a hot potato. I could see that sometime in the future I was just going to be beaten up like a punching bag. I guess he ended up being someone else's problem instead of mine.

KiloHotel likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2162 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 30th, 2019, 8:46 am

Queen K wrote:I'm sure no one has died of feminism.

OH and 26.

KiloHotel wrote:
Queen, I may not have lived it, but I do spend a fair bit of time trying to understand why things are the way they are. Feminism was great up until the 3rd wave, women achieved equality of opportunity and are now pushing for equality of outcome without taking into consideration the reasons for the differences in outcome. In fact, they are pushing for more than equality of outcome, I believe its now a push for power. I won't stand for it. There may still be some trivial, yet genuine inequities, but in the grand scheme of things women have equal rights.

Do male suicide rates say anything to your point about harmless feminism?

But I digress, I must be mansplaining.

Women push for power the same way men do, they want the chance to get an education, job opportunities, and equality under the law, and an equal opportunity to run for political positions. They have made great improvements, why? Because they have continued to be active in feminism, rights for women. There is no "3rd wave", it has been one long wave for the last few hundred years, a long journey, with quite few stops along the way.
So one small but important part of that push for equal rights has been giving women "power" in their personal life so that they don't have to stay with abusive mates, and feel strong enough financially and personally to leave those situations before they are seriously harmed or killed. Almost all the serious harm and death brought on women is by male acquaintances and mates. Empowering women is the best way to prevent, avoid, or leave that kind of danger. Without gainful employment and a home to go to, and emotional support women find that very daunting, more so if they have children. That's a large part of what feminism is about. So this is feminism, it isn't killing anyone, like cancer does. So the analogy is not accurate, and certainly does nothing to help women or men. However not giving women a way of avoiding abuse, is killing people.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... inaugural/

Incidentally, there is no support in feminism for males committing suicide. Unless the idea of a woman having equal rights drives a man to do that. Are you suggesting that women should not have equal rights, if it is upsetting men so much that they kill themselves?
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby zoo » Jan 30th, 2019, 9:47 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Women push for power the same way men do, Ah, no they do not, almost every single corperation was started, developed and the chance taken by a man, Banks, manufacturing, not all but most. Men work more hrs than women, work in nastier careers and locations. they want the chance to get an education, job opportunities, They have had this for long before you, infact women have more access to special funding, education, opportunity than men do at this level. and an equal opportunity to run for political positions. This one is a mystery, how do you explain all the female politicains then, have they somehow been given special treatment to get where they are? Or did they just achieve it like everyone else, hard work? Why do women not seek theses positions at the same rate as men? They have made great improvements, why? Because they have continued to be active in feminism, What has success got to do with Feminism? You mean only because of feminism you can achieve? someone should have told Margret Thatcher that, she achieved long ago, whats stopping the rest?
So one small but important part of that push for equal rights has been giving women "power" in their personal life so that they don't have to stay with abusive mates, Why do you never speak about the millions of women that also abuse their mates, its factual, it fact, the highest ratio of abuse in same sex relationships is that of female relationships.. You need to see through the fake stat's and the new reports that clearly show your issues here are not so confined to just men as the perpetrators. Empowering women, When, starting today, tomorrow, yesterday? If women like Margret Thatcher can achieve, long ago, against the "show called odd's, then ??? Without gainful employment, Nothing is keeping anyone from having this, its a choice. and a home to go to, More men are homeless in our countries by a long shot. and emotional support women find that very daunting, more so if they have children. Well this is an easy one, help change our divorce system so that fathers do not need to fight for shared custody rather that it is automatic. That's a large part of what feminism is about. So this is feminism. Success, achievement has nothing to do with feminism. Its a personnel choice, hard work. As proven by millions of women. Today all we have is "Toxic femininity", and we are waiting for the new commercial that calls out "women to do better". Absolutely nothing is holding women back now a days, or in the past as proven. Sorry, my wife, daughters are not "feminists" they are hard working achievers that do not see themselves as victims of oppression by the big bad male. They have succeeded and will continue based on choice and trying and not having to be treated differently. And today, the majority of women do not see themselves as Feminists, why if something is so good are so many in that gender group not supporting it anymore?

*Replies in bold.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 30th, 2019, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
zoo
Board Meister

Liked in: 175 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 30th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Just had a chat with a lovely 92 year old who got to Kelowna in 1960.

Said she was a waitress at a fine place in Kelowna for 25 years, they trained her from the first thing.
Said the "old man who owned and ran the place had wandering hands" and moved her hands all over herself to show me where he sexually touched her.

I said, "back in the day women didn't have much to go on to stop it" and she didn't say anything.

Nice.

Sexual harassment in the work place at 0.75 cents an hour.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 30th, 2019, 10:28 pm

zoo wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:
Women push for power the same way men do, Ah, no they do not, almost every single corperation was started, developed and the chance taken by a man, Banks, manufacturing, not all but most. Men work more hrs than women, work in nastier careers and locations. they want the chance to get an education, job opportunities, They have had this for long before you, infact women have more access to special funding, education, opportunity than men do at this level. and an equal opportunity to run for political positions. This one is a mystery, how do you explain all the female politicains then, have they somehow been given special treatment to get where they are? Or did they just achieve it like everyone else, hard work? Why do women not seek theses positions at the same rate as men? They have made great improvements, why? Because they have continued to be active in feminism, What has success got to do with Feminism? You mean only because of feminism you can achieve? someone should have told Margret Thatcher that, she achieved long ago, whats stopping the rest?
So one small but important part of that push for equal rights has been giving women "power" in their personal life so that they don't have to stay with abusive mates, Why do you never speak about the millions of women that also abuse their mates, its factual, it fact, the highest ratio of abuse in same sex relationships is that of female relationships.. You need to see through the fake stat's and the new reports that clearly show your issues here are not so confined to just men as the perpetrators. Empowering women, When, starting today, tomorrow, yesterday? If women like Margret Thatcher can achieve, long ago, against the "show called odd's, then ??? Without gainful employment, Nothing is keeping anyone from having this, its a choice. and a home to go to, More men are homeless in our countries by a long shot. and emotional support women find that very daunting, more so if they have children. Well this is an easy one, help change our divorce system so that fathers do not need to fight for shared custody rather that it is automatic. That's a large part of what feminism is about. So this is feminism. Success, achievement has nothing to do with feminism. Its a personnel choice, hard work. As proven by millions of women. Today all we have is "Toxic femininity", and we are waiting for the new commercial that calls out "women to do better". Absolutely nothing is holding women back now a days, or in the past as proven. Sorry, my wife, daughters are not "feminists" they are hard working achievers that do not see themselves as victims of oppression by the big bad male. They have succeeded and will continue based on choice and trying and not having to be treated differently. And today, the majority of women do not see themselves as Feminists, why if something is so good are so many in that gender group not supporting it anymore?

*Replies in bold.

You've misquoted me, please fix that.
Margaret Thatcher is one woman, there are 3.5 billion women in the world. Yes, a few of them become politicians, just as a few men do. So my statement was that women want to become politicians (or whatever their chosen area is) just as much as men do, and that is their way of gaining some position in society, just as it is for men.
So since more men do achieve these positions, and it is their choice (just as it is for women), why then are you whining about more men being homeless. If men are working longer hours, or at terrible jobs, that is their choice. They have a vast array of educational and employment opportunities at least as many as women. And the jobs they chose often make more money, good for them. They are not saddled with bearing and raising the children (in the majority of families). IF men are homeless, it is either because they were not given the same opportunities, or , they were given the opportunities and didn't take advantage of them.This bit of wisdom I got from my father, who grew up in the "dirty thirties".

So feminism is about helping women get those same opportunities, and encourages them to take advantage too, just as men can and should do. Your daughters don't have to feel like "victims of oppression by the big bad men", because feminism is about NOT being that victim. Empowering women is about them finding their own strength, with the help sometimes of other women or their mates, or family members, and it's about NOT ending up as the victims of financial disadvantage or dominance by anyone else (be it an abuser or a touchy feely employer).
Men are perfectly able to do the same for each other, and themselves,i.e. offer financial and training support etc. in the work world or business. (It's called "the old boy's club" colloquially). So why shouldn't women also do that?

Some Razor Company produces a commercial urging men not to be so abusive or bully, and suddenly feminism is responsible for all the ills that men have ever endured, so whose blaming the other gendre for that?
Great that your daughters don't want to be treated differently (feminism would say they should not be, they should be treated equally, so I have no idea why you have a beef with that). Whether or not they see themselves as feminists, they are enjoying the efforts of women who went before them who strove to get equal opportunities for women, and equal pay for equal work. Otherwise they would still be stuck in Victorian times where the options for women were seriously limited, mainly to child bearing, child raising, and housekeeping chores for the wealthy, and caring for the sick and elderly, very low paying or no paying jobs. Thanks to feminism, there are a few areas where women (on average) actually make more than men! probably for the first time in history.
https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-a ... e-than-men

Imagine if that were the case practically across the board? Women have had to deal with that up until the last fifty or so years, but then how would the men handle it? You can be sure they would start up a movement to gain back equality or even more, could they really blame the women then for being wealthier than them?
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 31st, 2019, 9:36 am

Even when women don't expect to be "victimized" by more powerful, abusive types, it can still happen. People stand by and offer no help, or the women may suffer in silence, not wanting to seem to be playing "the victim". So these sorts of comments have to change and attitudes have to change, or violent types will never be stopped. This situation is not typical, most women are abused by someone they know very well, but chances are this violent offender knows a woman somewhere, and it's not likely interactions are any better. Feminists are willing to step up and offer abused women support, which it seems is sparse these days coming from any one else.

https://www.abc15.com/national/man-seen ... nto-police
Silverstarqueen
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns