Alzheimer's and Dementia

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Alzheimer's and Dementia

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Some pharmaceutical drugs have been shown to increase or accelerate the rate of Alzheimer's developing. The anticholinergic drugs, some of which are used for COPD, certain antidepressants, certain antihistamines, these are the type. Also from what I have seen some of the drugs being given to the elderly can take a person who is somewhat confused and turn them into an extremely confused and even unmanageable person, so they increase the dose, increasing their confusion, a vicious cycle. Take those people off those drugs, and you again have a slightly confused person who might even be able to live again with family supervision. I don't believe they have come across a medication yet which actually improves dementia much, so the alternative is organizing their environment so they are safe and happy, and have as much supervision and assistance as they require.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Citalopram has been shown to reduce plaque in mice in doses that humans should be able to tolerate.
Still experimental but shows promise.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Gordie Howe was close to death a short time ago due to dementia, now recovering.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/ ... -treatment

Return to “Social Concerns”