Personality and on-line writing persona

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
annexi
Board Meister

Personality and on-line writing persona

Post by annexi »

In these forums we have relative anonymity with what we post. This creates an environment very different from what we experience in the real world.

Do people find that their on-line personality matches with the personality they show in their day-to-day? Like, if you're mean on-line, are you also mean in real life? If you're respectful on-line, are you respectful in real life?

Does the way people post on-line reflect anything about their deep enduring personality traits?
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Xia33
Übergod

Re: Personality and on-line writing persona

Post by Xia33 »

Interesting topic, for sure! I am pretty much the same across the board and try to show respect whether in person or online...although at times, I must admit to getting a little cranky at some posters who come across rude or obnoxious.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

That many people behave differently when the boss is around is just one example of an observer effect.

Writing persona will often be quite different from general persona regardless of observation or not. Generally more considered than a conversation, and far less interactive and reactive. At the same time a writing persona is not as rich and contextual, as it misses all the richness imparted by tone of voice, facial expressions, body language etc.

Anonymity imparts changes in terms of the observer effect and the persona change inherent in written conversation.

A simple hypothetical:

'Fred" is a 6'6" 275 lb Hell's Angel. I would be very careful of context and Fred's demeanor etc. if I were to call Fred a dufus during conversation. If Fred knows where to find me, I will be very careful of calling him a dufus in writing. But if Fred can't find me, and I'm on an anonymous forum, I may choose to call Fred a dufus with impunity.

So what happens in that hypothetical is that I abandon some normal restraints and considerations.

That is a two edged sword. It may allow more expression, but it also allows the abandonment of civility. Whether or not one chooses to do so says a lot, in and of itself.

That then gets into the whole discussion of "trolls", and the efforts to get them out of forums with better software, moderators, online community suspensions and bans etc.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

You don't find so many "google intellectuals" out there in meatspace. Thankfully.
Your bias suits you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm pretty awesome in real life as well.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

annexi wrote:In these forums we have relative anonymity . . ..

Does the way people post on-line reflect anything about their deep enduring personality traits?

'Relative anonymity"??!! Does that mean someone might be on to us--to the fact that we're actually four different people with eight or more different personalities if you count online and off?

T1, please stop editing my posts.

Ah, quit yer whining G. Yer always whining . . ..

Hey, G, since you outed us, why don't you just give up on that figure skating thread?

PM conference everybody. NOW!

T2, since you didn’t show, here’s a message:
We unanimously voted you should get your own identity. We think you should call yourself Threadkiller or Tailend because, besides being mostly ignored when you post here, those names seem to reflect your most significant talent--besides they both start with T.
Cheers for us three, WTG

T1, will you just stop with the editing.

Hah on you two, it should be just T now.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Perhaps a little braver in some cases maybe. I think that I have two distinct personalities in life and on paper.

I try to be understanding and respectful in both but sometimes have a hard time.

I don't deal well with stupid in either forum and that likely shows.

I don't go out of my way to be confrontational but I don't walk away from it either much to my wifes chagrin occasionally.

It may not be apparent here but I am opinionated. I know right? I do such a good job of disguising it.

Pretty much the same in person.

Folks either really like me or really don't. I am OK with either.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I am pretty much what you see. Sometimes I am too emotional, and my mouth gets the better of me. Same in real life. I have a very big heart, and feel much emotion. That is not always a good thing. Sometimes I am impulsive :)...getting older, I really don't care what most people think of me, just my few 'good' friends, and their opinions mean the world to me. x0x0x0
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I would say I am the same online and off, except it takes longer for me to actually say a lot of what I do/have online to people face to face since I have social anxiety (and not everyone I meet face to face really cares or has the time to even listen to what I say in general).

I also don't waste as much time offline as I seem to online talking to/at people who are close minded, ignorant, or have a big ego. I am not sure why I do online except maybe it's because I can think about a response and walk away for a bit before I say anything as opposed to face to face where I just walk away and envision punching them in the face (which is funny since I am not a violent person and hate feeling angry). Although, there are times I've wanted to reach through the screen and do the same lol

But overall, as far as the anonymity aspect online, I feel I can share a lot more personal things that I would be hesitant to face to face unless I know that the person is really taking the time to hear me. Online, people don't really have to show that level of respect, which is probably why so many people are jerks lol

I enjoy more deep conversations regardless if it's offline or off. I find surface talk extremely annoying and not at all interesting.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Just for the record, I would never ever really kick a senior in a wheelchair in the shin.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

zookeeper wrote:Just for the record, I would never ever really kick a senior in a wheelchair in the shin.

I choose not to say any that might incriminate me.

I would say this is pretty much me except I am not a witch in real life. I play pretend in fun thread and express my beliefs in the serious threads. I am brutally honest in my real life too.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

What you read in my posts is pretty well who I am.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

I'm the very same. My views here, are the views I share outside of the forums . I'm sure this is the one place you get the majority
Of people sharing their actual, truthful views.

Obviously there's going to be a select few BS'ers. But then again, they are probably typing while impaired. This I call TWI...

Return to “Social Concerns”