Man, it's hot out

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Man, it's hot out

Post by vinnied »

Dec the 10th, at 9:50pm, and Its 12.3 degrees outside
Is this a record breaker?. seems very warm for a December evening
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Man its hot out

Post by Hmmm »

I was thinking the same thing. Its practically no coat weather.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
laurar

Post by laurar »

Totally strange. I took the dog out for his pee and while standing in the yard realized I was in shorts and a tank top (had been cleaning inside) and wasn't even cold.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

It's too bad it looks like spring at Big White. Should get back to seasonal soon.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Funny, thought the exact same thing running the garbage out last night.

Strange times when a week ago it dipped to -18.

... strange weather conditions combined with oddball topics about over reactive people complaining about alligator farms, offensive cabbies, etc ... makes me think the world will end soon.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

vinnied wrote:Dec the 10th, at 9:50pm, and Its 12.3 degrees outside
Is this a record breaker?. seems very warm for a December evening

What's really crazy is that Abbotsford was 18 degrees and raining yesterday morning. Crazy because I've seen rainy days in July in the Okanagan that could barely break 18 degrees.

Was it a record? This was most definitely not a record for the month of December (nothing beats the boxing day heatwave of 1980 when the temperature climbed to 14.5C at the airport and 15C downtown), but it was a record for December 10th.

Yesterday's high at the Kelowna airport = 12.7C
The record at the airport for December 10th = 11.0C in 1993 (records began in 1968)
The record for anywhere in the entire city for December 10th = 12.0C at KELOWNA DAV-SPIERS ROAD also in 1993 (Kelowna records began in 1899)

Here are some other records from yesterday:
The following is a summary of weather event information received by
Environment Canada. [I don't know why they omitted Kelowna]

Location... new record (c)... old record (c)... year

Abbotsford... 18.0... 15.7... 1993
Clinton ...7.2... 5.0... 1998
Kamloops... 15.6... 14.4... 1946
Penticton... 10.4... 10.0... 1939
Powell River... 12.0... 11.6... 2004
Prince George... 11.4... 7.2... 1946
Quesnel... 12.5... 12.2... 1900
Saturna i.... 15.3... 13.2... 2004
Vancouver... 14.4... 13.1... 2004
White Rock... 17.3... 14.5... 1993
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

lets keep that co2 pumping, this climate change is good
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

monroe wrote:Funny, thought the exact same thing running the garbage out last night.

Strange times when a week ago it dipped to -18.

I notice the weather is weird at times, just doesn't feel right. Contrarily, meteorologists keep telling us there's nothing unusual, temperatures are within reason etc etc.

Well how about measuring the rate of temperature change? For example, how quickly we go from lows to highs. Like -18 last week to +12 this week. Both events not totally unordinary in themselves, but taken back to back seem unusual. Wish someone would crunch the numbers on that.

Remember this summer when it went from like +38, to massive rainfall, to +18 all in 24 hours? (Funny the environment Canada data went missing on those days).
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

they haven't been keeping track of weather patterns long enough to confirm substantial changes much like the whole global warming thing
jswiftkelowna

Post by jswiftkelowna »

Debating the existence or impact of global climate change, or warming, is a tedious effort. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The evidence for climate change is overwhelming.

I suppose that is aside from the fact that it's really enjoyable out in Kelowna right now.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

100% of the global warming has occurred because of warmer nighttime temperatures. October was record shattering in that department, and December is definitely doing its best to keep pace.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

100% heresay
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

monroe wrote:Strange times when a week ago it dipped to -18.

You've never lived in Calgary, have you ....
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Very strange weather we have had the past few days. It warmed up to +10.4 degrees last night according to my weather station. Even stranger is that Grand Forks BC was at +9 at midnight last night then cooled to -0.2 at 6am! Right now it is +8 in Grand Forks but only +1 in Midway, which is in the same valley, but only about 50 meters higher in elevation. It is only +4.7 at my house right now and pretty similar in most other parts of town. For Grand Forks to be warmer than the Okanagan at this time of year is basically unheard of.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If you think you're so smart, take my Kelowna weather quiz (you might have to do it multiple times if you want a good score)... http://www.onlinequizcreator.com/kelown ... quiz-56782
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”