grocery store cashiers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
annexi
Board Meister

grocery store cashiers

Post by annexi »

When a person goes to the same grocery store for a period of time, you get to recognize the cashiers and I'm sure they recognize you. So why do we usually treat each other with the same polite formality we normally reserve for strangers? The typical cashier/customer convo: "How are you today?" "Fine thanks" "Paper or plastic?" "Paper please" And that's where it ends. No acknowledgement of personal recognition whatsoever, that's a weird social evolution.

So when I was at Choices the other day, the cashier asked me :"How are you?" And I looked at her for a moment before replying and said "I'm so sad my dog was just diagnosed with cancer". (Truth, he was). And this kind, kind lady came out from behind the counter and asked if she could give me a hug, the kindest thing anyone could have done at that moment. Bless that lady.

Maybe is there connection just waiting to happen if we were to break out of the norm?
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Lore
Übergod

Re: grocery store cashiers

Post by Lore »

This really got me thinking as that is how I end up talking with the cashiers
and its not real personal.
I'm going to try a more personal approach and see how that works.
I am very sorry to hear about your dog.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

There a few faces I recognize at different places I shop regularly, and I have found the same thing; when I say more kind of personal things, they respond in a way that makes me feel like not such a stranger to them. There are several people who recognize me, and it feels so nice to be able to have that connection with them. I don't have a huge social circle, so to have that really means a lot to me. I am not sure if it's just the places I shop because I have never had it anywhere before in the many years I have lived here. All I can say is I hope more people do that. It might depend on if they even like their job though and have an openness and willingness to share that side of them. Not everyone looks that...nice.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

WE have several cashiers at a couple of stores that we are very friendly with and have been for years.
Makes for a much nicer experience when shopping.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

annexi wrote:When a person goes to the same grocery store for a period of time, you get to recognize the cashiers and I'm sure they recognize you. So why do we usually treat each other with the same polite formality we normally reserve for strangers? The typical cashier/customer convo: "How are you today?" "Fine thanks" "Paper or plastic?" "Paper please" And that's where it ends. No acknowledgement of personal recognition whatsoever, that's a weird social evolution.

So when I was at Choices the other day, the cashier asked me :"How are you?" And I looked at her for a moment before replying and said "I'm so sad my dog was just diagnosed with cancer". (Truth, he was). And this kind, kind lady came out from behind the counter and asked if she could give me a hug, the kindest thing anyone could have done at that moment. Bless that lady.

Maybe is there connection just waiting to happen if we were to break out of the norm?

I'm very sorry about your dog.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Social Concerns”