Four bad things about America's homeless people

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Four bad things about America's homeless people

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't get your obsession with the Rich, there's always a whole lot of people in the middle that can do the most.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Or treat the illness. Better preventive measures. They are people; someones mother, father,daughter, son.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jimmy4321 wrote:I don't get your obsession with the Rich

Jealousy. If they can have it why can't I?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Los Angeles has the most homeless people. It also has Staples Center and the Los Angeles Lakers.
The Lakers are worth $4 billion -richest sports franchise on earth. Kobe Bryant earns - $40 million?

But Los Angeles has the most homeless people too. And a lot of them have mental problems. And a lot
of them were in Vietnam, acquiring mental problems. So no one knows what to do about it now.

The city began enforcing an ordinance banning the homeless from sleeping on the street—literally criminalizing poverty—until a federal court ruled that constituted cruel and unusual punishment; now the rule is only enforced during daylight hours.

It's weird to start reading up on the topic. I never knew it was such a difficult thing to deal with.
Would have been much better to prevent all those thousands of people from becoming homeless,
because it's not easy to get rid of them, once they are homeless.

Someone told me Canada also has homeless. I never saw any in Canada.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Many residents are convinced that the crackdown on Skid Row isn't so much about preventing serious crime as it is about driving the undesirables out of sight. As Thomas said, “The city believes the solution to homelessness is incarceration because incarceration is one of the biggest industries this state has."

the rich always come up with weird solutions to the problems.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Thinktank wrote:Someone told me Canada also has homeless. I never saw any in Canada.

There are no homeless people in Canada. It's because of Jesus.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Thinktank wrote:Los Angeles has the most homeless people. It also has Staples Center and the Los Angeles Lakers.
The Lakers are worth $4 billion -richest sports franchise on earth. Kobe Bryant earns - $40 million?

But Los Angeles has the most homeless people too. And a lot of them have mental problems. And a lot
of them were in Vietnam, acquiring mental problems. So no one knows what to do about it now.

The city began enforcing an ordinance banning the homeless from sleeping on the street—literally criminalizing poverty—until a federal court ruled that constituted cruel and unusual punishment; now the rule is only enforced during daylight hours.

It's weird to start reading up on the topic. I never knew it was such a difficult thing to deal with.
Would have been much better to prevent all those thousands of people from becoming homeless,
because it's not easy to get rid of them, once they are homeless.

Someone told me Canada also has homeless. I never saw any in Canada.

I'm pretty sure Real Madrid and Manchester United are richer and more valuable than the LA Lakers...
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thinktank wrote:
Here are five reasons that country should do something about the problem. (Canada doesn't have a problem from what I see)

You don't get out much do you. Try Vancouver's East end.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Bsuds wrote:You don't get out much do you. Try Vancouver's East end.

Be cool, nobody takes these threads seriously anymore.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I never take anything the OP posts seriously.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Sudsy
I heard OP is coming to your place for Christmas Dinner
I'm surprised Tankie isn't worried about America's GNOMELESS people
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I think the OP has way too much time on their hands to post a thread like this, at least trying (I think but am not sure) to be serious about a situation that people of any income level can potentially experience and do so by using shock value to start a conversation about it....and around the holidays too. It's not so hard to start a conversation the usual way about something like this, just to throw that out there.

I'm just shaking my head at all of it right now, and not in a good/funny way either. Anyone can lose everything they have at a moment's notice. No need to make fun of it.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Has anyone in your family or a close friend ever gone homeless? Believe me if they have, you spread the word fast and you start looking. Pretty soon a lot of people are noticing and talking to a lot of homeless people.

Danielson99 wrote:. . . They are human beings who are no different than you or I except for one thing, when they have problems in life they don't have the strength or wisdom to get through it . . ..

But that’s exactly what you play on when you get them home. The strength, wisdom, courage, and innovation it must have taken them to make it through each day. And then then you try to help them develop and morph all the skills they've acquired as a means to survive into a means to belong. If there is any inkling of cooperation, you drop everything and take advantage of that immediately.

It was five years before my brother and I agreed he would try living on his own again. The thing that brought us there was mutual commitment, hard work, and, finally, reciprocated love. Sometimes the scale on the first two was tipped way over on my side, but as for the third, I've come to fully believe he would take care of me in the same way now--twenty years later.

And as one of my Mexican friends joked, “Us Mexicans look after our people and let our dogs go homeless. You Nortes Américaos look after your dogs and let your people go homeless.” A bit simplistic, but it made me think.

Us North American dog owners can expect to be in it for 10 to 15 years with our dogs--even when we pick up a stray. In the case of my brother, why would I have expected anything different?

W's repost from http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=56548&p=1648837#p1648837
Last edited by WTTG on Dec 21st, 2014, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

mysideofthings wrote: Anyone can lose everything they have at a moment's notice. No need to make fun of it.

So where did I make fun of them?

It's a weirder situation than people think, and I think the article on the Vice webpage
explained it the best. I'm glad I started this thread - now I have a better idea what's really going on.

But the only one on this forum who contributed anything of value to this thread was WeatherWoman when she said
a lot of the homeless have a mental condition. I never knew that before.

WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Thinktank wrote:I think the article on the Vice webpage
explained it the best.

Pertaining to the Vice article, as W said above:

“We don't even have water fountains,” Joe Thomas, the homeless veteran, told me, “but the dogs do.”

We'll ask W's brother to comment on this thread. LOL, maybe he'll mysteriously knock on your table or blow out one of your candles during Christmas dinner.

Everybody, please take that in the 'spirit' of humour as we intend.

Return to “Social Concerns”