Four states ban direct Tesla sales

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Four states ban direct Tesla sales

Post by JLives »

Captain Awesome wrote:Who says they're not?

Then what's the problem if they are able to sell them the same way as Tesla if they choose to? They have the option aside from where it has been banned, do they not?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:Then what's the problem if they are able to sell them the same way as Tesla if they choose to?

There's no problem. If everybody can sell direct in certain states - hey, good for the customers. In some states it's not allowed - and everybody has to invest money into local economy by supporting a distribution network.

The problem (in my opinion) arises when Tesla (or Tesla's blowhard fans) complain that certain states require a dealer-based sales and ask for special treatment because they're new/green/exciting. In their mind, all the other car manufacturers should be stuck with dealers and added expense, and Tesla should be allowed to bend the rules just because.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Atomoa
Guru

Re: 4 States ban direct Tesla sales

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:I like you hop from one enemy of Tesla to the other. First it's the big car manufacturers that want Tesla dead. Then it's the Big Oil. Now it's dealerships.

Multiple arms, one body.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
logicalview
Guru

Re: 4 States ban direct Tesla sales

Post by logicalview »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 13th, 2015, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Captain Awesome wrote:
There's no problem. If everybody can sell direct in certain states - hey, good for the customers. In some states it's not allowed - and everybody has to invest money into local economy by supporting a distribution network.

The problem (in my opinion) arises when Tesla (or Tesla's blowhard fans) complain that certain states require a dealer-based sales and ask for special treatment because they're new/green/exciting. In their mind, all the other car manufacturers should be stuck with dealers and added expense, and Tesla should be allowed to bend the rules just because.

You can say this until you are blue in the face, but the Tesla-nut-bars are never going to understand. Every time Elon the evil billionaire doesn't just get his way no matter what the conflict of interest or how big the giant pile of tax-payer cash, it must be a "conspiracy" perpetrated by "Big Oil". It's just pathetic and ridiculous how these people are so easy to dupe, and how little they grasp of basic economic concepts.
Not afraid to say "It".
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Cap'n
It is my undestanding that at least some of the 4 states recently bowed to pressure from the dealers to make it illegal for a manufacturer to make direct sales.
I agree that it should be one rule for all, but to get laws changed to suit yourself is just the corrupt american way.
We're lost but we're making good time.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Captain Awesome wrote:There's no problem. If everybody can sell direct in certain states - hey, good for the customers. In some states it's not allowed - and everybody has to invest money into local economy by supporting a distribution network.

Then why are you saying this? Any car manufacturer could have legally sold vehicles the same way Tesla is prior to them lobbying to make it illegal. Tesla never had special treatment or an unfair advantage. I don't understand where you are getting that from.

Captain Awesome wrote:
I don't care much for dealerships, and I don't think anybody really does.

What I do care for though is equal treatment of all car manufacturers without giving one special treatment for whatever reason. If Tesla is fighting to sell directly to consumers - allow all manufacturers to sell direct. If Tesla wants more profit by saving money on distribution - allow all car manufacturers make more money. It's not about evil Ford and GM keeping poor Tesla down, it's about Tesla wanting to make more money while they have unfair advantage. Let's allow all car manufacturers do the same thing - I'd love to see car prices drop 20-25% due to cut costs of distribution - though it might make life difficult for Tesla as they already struggle to justify the cost differential between them and conventional cars. Oh well.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Captain Awesome wrote:

What rules? Please indicate which organization dictates I can't sell you my product direct, as opposed to through a middle-man.

It is not by rule that traditional manufacturers work through middle-men (dealerships), it is by choice. Any company could change their format at any time, and expect to face the same opposition that Tesla is facing. But the industry has become a well-greased engine that happens to include authorized dealers and now we have an example of an industry trying to lean itself to a more efficient model - only to have "defenders of the economy" (but in actuality, defenders of their interests) stand in the way.

I don't buy this for the same reason I don't buy some of the ridiculous legal opposition Uber has faced, paid for by organizations representing existing taxi companies/drivers. In that case, law has actually developed around the industry that protects it from innovation - which has Uber legally banned from some cities, and having a hard time entering others (even here in B.C.). Again we have an example of a new industry being snuffed only because it competes with another. People are a lot smarter about these things than they were even just 25 years ago. The information is everywhere and you can learn everything you need to know, on your own, in an hour online.

When I purchased my most recent car, I knew more than every single salesman I talked to, about the car I knew I wanted. The salesman was just a guy put between me and the vehicle to make money off the transaction for absolutely no reason other than because he can. Anything that salesman or his sales team did, the car-maker could have also done themselves, in the same location, with the same customers. Or, maybe they don't have dealers, because a lot of their customers know everything they need to anyway!

Being pretty read up on Tesla's vehicles, I'd love top hear why Tesla "fans" are blowhards.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

StraitTalk wrote:What rules? Please indicate which organization dictates I can't sell you my product direct, as opposed to through a middle-man.

Hmmm, Governments maybe? In this case, State Governments.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Dizzy1 wrote:Hmmm, Governments maybe? In this case, State Governments.

Well you're right, that is happening, but that was after Tesla and their sales model was in action. The law came as a result. It was a rhetorical question because there was no such organization until there was a "need" for it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

StraitTalk wrote:Well you're right, that is happening, but that was after Tesla and their sales model was in action. The law came as a result. It was a rhetorical question because there was no such organization until there was a "need" for it.

There may not be a need for it - but if other manufacturers have to follow the same rules then Tesla needs to follow the same rules as well. Personally, I could care less if there's a middleman or direct to consumer - as long as all the players are on the same field then this is really a non-issue.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Apparently some of the 4 states changed their laws at the behest of dealers lobbying the state govt to block Tesla.

The old way of doing business was for the manufacturer to sell only to distributors, who sold to jobbers, who sold to dealers.

Telephones, fax machines, and now the internet is/are rapidly changing that. Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, and big box stores etc., have taken a big bite out of the old fashioned supply chains.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Social Concerns”