Four states ban direct Tesla sales

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Four states ban direct Tesla sales

Post by Captain Awesome »

Looks pretty cool.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

When I first heard Reno was getting the new battery factory, the first hting
I thought was 'because reno doesn't care if they pollute the rivers.'

RENO — The massive Tesla battery factory being built in Northern Nevada will be a thirsty resident, with some preliminary estimates saying it will require the equivalent of nearly half of the groundwater rights allocated to its Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center neighborhood.

The project, the cherry atop Gov. Brian Sandoval’s economic development agenda to date, promises high-paying jobs and a diversification from a long-sagging gambling economy to one powered by high-tech manufacturing and technology.

But the $5 billion, 5 million-square-foot facility going up just down the road from Reno-Sparks in Storey County exemplifies the challenges of balancing economic growth with the availability of natural resources needed to sustain it.

After months of negotiations and tense competition among five states, Tesla Motors, headed by billionaire Elon Musk, chose Northern Nevada as the site of the huge battery factory, a joint project with Panasonic Corp. of Japan. The plant, expected to employ upward of 6,000, will make lithium-ion batteries on a large scale, something Tesla says is needed to reduce the cost of its electric cars and make them more affordable and attractive to the auto-buying public.

Nevada awarded $1.3 billion in tax incentives to lure Tesla to the Silver State.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/water ... gulp-water
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Nibs wrote:

Huh? whats your point?

I think his point is that the real real reason is simply that the demand wasn't there ... not what your friend told you.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Atomoa
Guru

Re: 4 States ban direct Tesla sales

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:Go ahead and allow Tesla along with other manufacturers to do direct sales. I'd love to buy a car online and save money - doesn't matter what car it is.

It's certain the dealers would fight direct auto sales tooth and nail - which is basically what is happening here with Telsa. The dealerships are hanging on to the old sales model as well as the old technology that comes with it. If they can fight one problem with the other, then great.

Dealerships = ad on's, upsells and profit. Middlemen.

How else would they sell the True Coat™ ?

Last edited by Atomoa on Jan 13th, 2015, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Thinktank wrote:not sure why it looks like that.

The plant is self sufficient and generates all it's own power.

- Buckminster Fuller
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Dizzy said
not what your friend told you

Well, since I know for a fact that my friend owned two GM dealerships in CA, and I know for a fact that GM bought them both from him, netting him some millions, I am inclined to believe that he knows whereof he speaks.

The fact that now, some 20 yrs+/- later, things are changed and the current crop of hybrids require more service than the battery electrics, probably is keeping the dealers happier.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Nibs wrote:
Well, since I know for a fact that my friend owned two GM dealerships in CA, and I know for a fact that GM bought them both from him, netting him some millions, I am inclined to believe that he knows whereof he speaks.

The fact that now, some 20 yrs+/- later, things are changed and the current crop of hybrids require more service than the battery electrics, probably is keeping the dealers happier.

Do you honestly believe that a company the size of GM is going to make a decision to scrap production of a vehicle based on some dealers "revolting"?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Dizzy says
GM is going to make a decision based on some dealers revolting?

I am absolutely gonna believe an informed ex dealer rather than the opinion, however strongly held, of someone not privy to the network of dealers communications.
It is a pretty poor business practice to ignore your clients (dealers)

Further; GM has the marketing clout to make many people believe that wearing odd shoes will make them trendy. So they could easily, if needed, have created a large demand for cars that only run in reverse.

This a bit of topic drift, I do agree however, that states should not protect any one class of businesses.
We're lost but we're making good time.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Thinktank wrote:When I first heard Reno was getting the new battery factory, the first hting
I thought was 'because reno doesn't care if they pollute the rivers.'

You were half right. Reno, Elon Musk and the good folks at Tesla don't care if they suction up entire rivers. It's all about the money honey!

Nevada awarded $1.3 billion in tax incentives to lure Tesla to the Silver State.[/i]

That's $1.3 billion going into the pocket of an evil billionaire that could have been going to build homeless shelters and also going towards higher welfare payments. That must make you soooo mad TT!! Like spitting mad!!! What a waste of money on such a stupid concept. Those evil billionaires!!!
Last edited by logicalview on Jan 13th, 2015, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Atomoa wrote:
It's certain the dealers would fight direct auto sales tooth and nail - which is basically what is happening here with Telsa. The dealerships are hanging on to the old sales model as well as the old technology that comes with it. If they can fight one problem with the other, then great.

Dealerships = ad on's, upsells and profit. Middlemen.

]

And the hypocrisy from the radical left just keeps on coming. In one thread you lament the fact that technology is phasing out jobs, and in an even more ludicrous tangent, you now speculate that because of this, young people are becoming terrorists. Now here you are, wanting to hand the tax-credit sucking people at Tesla a competitive advantage no one else enjoys, and it's everyone else's fault for not embracing new technology. The hypocrisy here is just plain stunning. So because one taxpayer-funded company that you bless with your idiot wand wants to sell their cars direct, hundreds of thousands of people should be laid off and the old model of selling cars, through dealerships, should be disbanded and forgotten. Just ridiculous.

If you really now want to kill all car dealerships and put hundreds of thousands of people out of business overnight, just so that your darling tax-credit sucking company can have a competitive advantage, then shame on you.

Here's how the real world works (something leftists don't ever understand):

either everyone gets to participate and use the technology entering the market or no one does. Either everyone gets to sell their cars direct to the consumer or no one does. You can't get special treatment just because your product is considered "acceptable" by radical leftist boneheads. The real world doesn't work that way.
Not afraid to say "It".
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Atomoa wrote:It's certain the dealers would fight direct auto sales tooth and nail - which is basically what is happening here with Telsa.

I don't care much for dealerships, and I don't think anybody really does.

What I do care for though is equal treatment of all car manufacturers without giving one special treatment for whatever reason. If Tesla is fighting to sell directly to consumers - allow all manufacturers to sell direct. If Tesla wants more profit by saving money on distribution - allow all car manufacturers make more money. It's not about evil Ford and GM keeping poor Tesla down, it's about Tesla wanting to make more money while they have unfair advantage. Let's allow all car manufacturers do the same thing - I'd love to see car prices drop 20-25% due to cut costs of distribution - though it might make life difficult for Tesla as they already struggle to justify the cost differential between them and conventional cars. Oh well.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

If they just banned direct sales recently, due to Tesla, what was stopping the other manufacturers from selling that way before or now in areas where it is still legal?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:It's not about evil Ford and GM keeping poor Tesla down, it's about Tesla wanting to make more money while they have unfair advantage. Let's allow all car manufacturers do the same thing - I'd love to see car prices drop 20-25% due to cut costs of distribution

The dealerships are not fighting to be able to "sell like Tesla".

The dealerships want Teslas to have to sell their cars like they do.

Notice the direction the dealerships are leaning.

Tesla would have been foolish to set up a "distribution network" when they were only selling cars here and there. They were made-to-order then and believe still are. You can't really suggest that was their profit model (not to build a network of dealerships) because they came out with a new product and they are creating their own marketplace. It would have been suicide for Elon to build a network of dealerships across the USA for a car that nobody was even sure of buying yet.

When I order a Tesla I want to order it direct. I don't want to deal with a salesmen. It's their marketplace and in the internet age, really, who the hell wants to drive down to the Richmond Auto Mall for 2 days looking for a "good deal"? The change is welcome.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Atomoa wrote:The dealerships want Teslas to have to sell their cars like they do.

I like you hop from one enemy of Tesla to the other. First it's the big car manufacturers that want Tesla dead. Then it's the Big Oil. Now it's dealerships.

Like I said, make it a fair play for everybody, that's all that matters. Screw the dealerships, bring on the cheaper cars of all kind, not just tree hugging type.

When I order a Tesla I want to order it direct. I don't want to deal with a salesmen.

Who does? I want to be able new Fiat 500 online too, and pick it up at a local showroom with nice savings to boot.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

jennylives wrote:If they just banned direct sales recently, due to Tesla, what was stopping the other manufacturers from selling that way before or now in areas where it is still legal?

Who says they're not?

Return to “Social Concerns”