Govt blocks tar sands environment investigation

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Govt blocks tar sands environment investigation

Post by I Think »

harper govt gets US & Mexico to block environmental commission's investigation, which was set up under NAFTA
The Commission on Environmental Co-operation was in set up in 1994 as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement to resolve environmental disputes and to provide the public an outlet for environmental concerns.

Commission staff investigate public complaints in Canada, Mexico and the U.S. and can recommend an in-depth investigation, called a factual record, if they find there are grounds. But it has no power to compel the countries to do anything.

The final decision to conduct an investigation is made by a council of the environment ministers from the three countries, which is about to decide whether to allow a factual record into the tailings ponds. But negotiations are already going on — and it looks as if Canada may be getting its way.

"Through a council resolution in December 2014, Canada, Mexico and the U.S. unanimously voted to terminate the submission," said Environment Canada spokesman Danny Kingsberry in an email to CBC News.

That statement raised some eyebrows, because the final vote hasn't actually happened. U.S. and Canadian officials who are familiar with the file and who spoke on background say it's "highly unusual" Canada would reveal what's going on behind the scenes.

"Typically they don't say anything," said one U.S. official.

When asked to clarify, in a followup email Kingsberry only said "a final decision by the council is expected to be taken shortly on this matter."

But it's clear that Environment Canada, the department involved, is trying to stop further investigation into the tailings ponds.
We're lost but we're making good time.
logicalview
Guru

Re: Govt blocks tar sands environment investigation

Post by logicalview »

excellent news! Anyone who uses the idiotic term "tar sands" is already pre-judged to be a complete idiot, so therefore, if they want to go into this "investigation" with an idiotic mindset, then they are prejudiced and shouldn't be doing any investigation in the first place. I would personally like to see the NAFTA policy on bird-blending wind turbines. What investigations are they doing on these?
Not afraid to say "It".
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I often say Tar Sands (though that's a loaded term these days), though not against it just an old habit.

Bird Blenders Lol
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

jimmy4321 wrote:I often say Tar Sands (though that's a loaded term these days), though not against it just an old habit.

Bird Blenders Lol

Because bird's dying is only an issue when renewable energy is involved. If oil is involved the environment is just fine.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jennylives wrote: If oil is involved the environment is just fine.

I'm actually up there right now on one of the major sites ... in the last week I've been here I've been able to take some tours and got shown around ... visibly, this has got to be one of the cleanest places I've ever seen in my life. No garbage, no oil spots on the ground, lots of natural wooded and marsh areas where no one is allowed to set foot. If you spill some winshield washer fluid the area gets frozen and it gets cleaned up by a crew. Of course, I don't have any samples of the ponds or anything, but cities could learn from taking care of the environment from the companies up here.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

There are issues with wind turbines beyond birds
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

There are issues with every energy source. You have to prioritize the pros and cons.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Thought we had heard all the anti turbine arguments in the 'Nukular' thread.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Social Concerns”