Tis it better to be skeptical or gullible?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Tis it better to be skeptical or gullible?

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Seems like a few on this board are way beyond being gullible. Personally, I'm a huge skeptic and has served me well over the years. I require some kind of proof before I believe outlandish claims.

Discuss.
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Tis it better to be skeptical or gullible?

Post by Jo »

People are gnerally highly skeptical . . . about any information that supports the opposing side. The are also highly gullible . . . about any information that supports their own side.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

For example, stateside you can tell a neo-con than Obama smokes dope, molests little kids, is a Muslim, and shoots fluffy white kittens, and the neo-con will be all over that obvious 'truth'.

Tell the hardcore leftist that Obama created the universe and everything in it, and the leftist will be all over THAT obvious 'truth'.

And they'll posts memes about it everywhere, so that other gullible/skeptical people have 'proof'. Because if a meme isn't proof, I don't know what is.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

WhenWhatWho wrote:Seems like a few on this board are way beyond being gullible. Personally, I'm a huge skeptic and has served me well over the years. I require some kind of proof before I believe outlandish claims.

Discuss.

I believe nothing I am told (without proof) and only half of what I see with my own eyes!

Oh ya and absolutely nothing posted in the forums by certain posters. lol
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If we define "skeptical" and "gullible" as opposites, then a skeptic is one who never changes their mind when confronted with a story that conflicts with their worldview. By contrast, the gullible is a person that frequently changes their mind with every little bit of hearsay that comes along, even when it conflicts with their world view.

The proper and balanced course of action is taken in all new information, irrespective of whether or not it conflicts with your worldview, with some skepticism and some level of belief that it could be true.

"Neither the skeptic nor the gullible be."
~ Billy Shakespeare
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I prefer to be cynical, myself.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Jo wrote:People are gnerally highly skeptical . . . about any information that supports the opposing side. The are also highly gullible . . . about any information that supports their own side.

I agree for the most part Jo. However, this is were critical thinking skills come into play. Sadly, it is sorely lacking by some/most people.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I think what Jo is saying is that critical thinking skills are lacking in each and every one of us... except for the times when we all to one degree or another use our critically thinking skills to criticize what we don't like.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Glacier wrote:I think what Jo is saying is that critical thinking skills are lacking in each and every one of us... except for the times when we all to one degree or another use our critically thinking skills to criticize what we don't like.

That's not critical thinking in my book.

What is Critical Thinking?
No one always acts purely objectively and rationally. We connive for selfish interests. We gossip, boast, exaggerate, and equivocate. It is "only human" to wish to validate our prior knowledge, to vindicate our prior decisions, or to sustain our earlier beliefs. In the process of satisfying our ego, however, we can often deny ourselves intellectual growth and opportunity. We may not always want to apply critical thinking skills, but we should have those skills available to be employed when needed.

Critical thinking includes a complex combination of skills. Among the main characteristics are the following:

Rationality
We are thinking critically when we•rely on reason rather than emotion,
•require evidence, ignore no known evidence, and follow evidence where it leads, and
•are concerned more with finding the best explanation than being right analyzing apparent confusion and asking questions.

Self-awareness
We are thinking critically when we•weigh the influences of motives and bias, and
•recognize our own assumptions, prejudices, biases, or point of view.

Honesty
We are thinking critically when we recognize emotional impulses, selfish motives, nefarious purposes, or other modes of self-deception.
Open-mindedness
We are thinking critically when we•evaluate all reasonable inferences
•consider a variety of possible viewpoints or perspectives,
•remain open to alternative interpretations
•accept a new explanation, model, or paradigm because it explains the evidence better, is simpler, or has fewer inconsistencies or covers more data
•accept new priorities in response to a reevaluation of the evidence or reassessment of our real interests, and
•do not reject unpopular views out of hand.

Discipline
We are thinking critically when we•are precise, meticulous, comprehensive, and exhaustive
•resist manipulation and irrational appeals, and
•avoid snap judgments.

Judgment
We are thinking critically when we•recognize the relevance and/or merit of alternative assumptions and perspectives
•recognize the extent and weight of evidence

In sum,•Critical thinkers are by nature skeptical. They approach texts with the same skepticism and suspicion as they approach spoken remarks.
•Critical thinkers are active, not passive. They ask questions and analyze. They consciously apply tactics and strategies to uncover meaning or assure their understanding.
•Critical thinkers do not take an egotistical view of the world. They are open to new ideas and perspectives. They are willing to challenge their beliefs and investigate competing evidence.
Critical thinking enables us to recognize a wide range of subjective analyses of otherwise objective data, and to evaluate how well each analysis might meet our needs. Facts may be facts, but how we interpret them may vary.

By contrast, passive, non-critical thinkers take a simplistic view of the world.
•They see things in black and white, as either-or, rather than recognizing a variety of possible understanding.
•They see questions as yes or no with no subtleties.
•They fail to see linkages and complexities.
•They fail to recognize related elements.
Non-critical thinkers take an egotistical view of the world•They take their facts as the only relevant ones.
•They take their own perspective as the only sensible one.
•They take their goal as the only valid one.

http://www.criticalreading.com/critical_thinking.htm
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Does the phrase "there are 3 sides to every story" fit into this discussion?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What about dialectical thinking?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

What about living in a world where none of this was necessary? Harmony. Togetherness and respect. No fear of being taken advantage of so skepticism is gone.

I actually think a little bit of gullibility is nice. Like children and Christmas. It's kind of easy.

We all want kinder and gentler I think. I do.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Social Concerns”